Earned Income Tax Credits

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
Does anyone else think it's pretty stupid to pay for a bureaucracy whose job is to collect money from people and then give it back, opening the doors wide to political favoritism, fraud and abuse?

Whose idea was this anyway?

The time has come for simple and fair taxes in this country.

Last edited:
Does anyone else think it's pretty stupid to pay for a bureaucracy whose job is to collect money from people and then give it back, opening the doors wide to political favoritism, fraud and abuse?

Have you ever looked to see how the "fair tax" is proposed to work? Everyone gets back so much per month as a refund to help low income earners. Can you imagine the paperwork and bureaucracy that would create?

It's retarded. The tax code needs to be easy- 1 flat rate for all, including corps. No deductions, no credits, no social engineering. How does 15% sound?

Are you calling Ronald Reagan a liar? He called it "the best anti-poverty, the best pro-family, the best job creation measure to come out of Congress."

A redistribution of wealth. Most of the people getting EIC are in the lower part of the wage bracket and they have to have worked some to be eligible. These are the people who are really suffering because of the food and gas increases.

Yes, it appears to a little complex for some people but it puts money back into those hands of the people who will spend it and need it. And that is what we need now consumer spending.

There will never be a simple tax code in the US because of all the special interests power in Congress.

Have you ever looked to see how the "fair tax" is proposed to work? Everyone gets back so much per month as a refund to help low income earners. Can you imagine the paperwork and bureaucracy that would create?

I can, but it makes my head hurt and my heart ache. Sounds just plain stupid.

Why the HELL we collect taxes on the retail level is beyond me.

It's retarded. The tax code needs to be easy- 1 flat rate for all, including corps. No deductions, no credits, no social engineering. How does 15% sound?

My personal favorite is the blend of progressive & regressive tax code of 7 + 7 on 3, but I like the way you're thinking... simple taxes = fair taxes. Complicated taxes = bullshit.

it sounds like a huge tax increase for Matt and me....now that i am not working and bringing in any income, and Matt is only working a little more than part time, we pay a little less than 5% income tax, and pay more SS and Medicare taxes, (and much more in property taxes) than income taxes....at one time when we both were in our heyday we paid around 20% after we took all of our deductions on about $150k+ a year, and didn't miss a dime of it....(truthfully, we really didn't, other than wishing we had some of that income tax money we had paid, now, in our own savings to help us 'get by' now that we are poor :()

A 15% flat rate income tax, would be a huge increase and a major burden on our survival....we are "just" making ends meet now.

Are you calling Ronald Reagan a liar? He called it "the best anti-poverty, the best pro-family, the best job creation measure to come out of Congress."

I never called anyone a 'liar'... I said it was stupid. I'll stand by that statement.

A redistribution of wealth. Most of the people getting EIC are in the lower part of the wage bracket and they have to have worked some to be eligible. These are the people who are really suffering because of the food and gas increases.

Yes, it appears to a little complex for some people but it puts money back into those hands of the people who will spend it and need it. And that is what we need now consumer spending.

There will never be a simple tax code in the US because of all the special interests power in Congress.

Why don't we let ALL citizens earn their first $25,000 tax free, reduce the IRS payroll by half, and move on with our economy? Why do we need more paperwork for the folks least likely to be able to afford an accountant?

the whole thing is just a convoluted mess....

the EIC is there because it "makes work Pay"....without the Earned income credit given to very low income workers, there would be no incentive for them to work....because they could collect more in all the various Welfare programs than they would working full time....the EIC gives them tax money that they paid in to SS and Medicare back to them....I believe? (I did not read the op articles yet, so i could be wrong on that)

Don't take this personal, but Bullshit! There will be a simple tax code once people demand it like people are squeaking their wheels about spending in general.

We, The People should be dictating what tax congress can impose and We, The People should demand that congress cut up the credit card and spend no more than they take in. Many of us are ready to march to DC to demand a ground-up rebuild of the tax code, all we lack is leadership.

Don't take this personal, but Bullshit! There will be a simple tax code once people demand it like people are squeaking their wheels about spending in general.

We, The People should be dictating what tax congress can impose and We, The People should demand that congress cut up the credit card and spend no more than they take in. Many of us are ready to march to DC to demand a ground-up rebuild of the tax code, all we lack is leadership.

And the political will. Remember too? The 16th Amendment was written by Progressives...and it was all about controlling the masses.

EITC is ridiculous. It should be impossible that someone get more back then they gave in.
It is income redistribution on a grand scale.

EITC is ridiculous. It should be impossible that someone get more back then they gave in.
It is income redistribution on a grand scale.

it is better to have them working, getting back what they paid in to SS and Medicare taxes, than to have them just sit on their bums and collect Welfare.

(the SS taxes, specifically the surplus SS taxes paid in, is just like paying income tax...it is used to pay for what income taxes should be paying.)

they also pay gas taxes and cigarette taxes, that are federally collected to pay for gvt spending....

no one gets away with not paying some kind of taxes in this country.

it sounds like a huge tax increase for Matt and me....now that i am not working and bringing in any income, and Matt is only working a little more than part time, we pay a little less than 5% income tax, and pay more SS and Medicare taxes, (and much more in property taxes) than income taxes....at one time when we both were in our heyday we paid around 20% after we took all of our deductions on about $150k+ a year, and didn't miss a dime of it....(truthfully, we really didn't, other than wishing we had some of that income tax money we had paid, now, in our own savings to help us 'get by' now that we are poor :()

A 15% flat rate income tax, would be a huge increase and a major burden on our survival....we are "just" making ends meet now.

How about 15% on all earnings in excess of $25,000 per year? I would be o.k. with that as long as ALL citizens earned their first 25k tax free.

How about 15% on all earnings in excess of $25,000 per year? I would be o.k. with that as long as ALL citizens earned their first 25k tax free.

How about we cease taxing income all together and go back to taxing commerce?

Forum List

Back