Earn Nothing and Learn Little in the Brave New Economy

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
If it seems like an increasing number of internship opportunities are unpaid, that's because they are. And while college students, recent graduates, and even mid-life career-changers are often willing to go without a paycheck to gain experience, not everyone supports this work-for-free phenomenon.

In what could be called an exposé of internships, Ross Perlin's new Intern Nation: How to Earn Nothing and Learn Little in the Brave New Economy examines the history of the practice, what's really legal, and how students, employers, and colleges can change the tide so more interns are paid

The Growing Culture of Unpaid Internships - US News and World Report

Controversial issue for sure.

Should interns at least make minimum wage? Are college kids being exploited? Or are they getting an unfair advantage over kids who cannot afford to do this?

Some colleges offer credit. But is it fair that students (parents) have to pay six months tuition for a kid to work a job for free?

Thoughts?

(I have a feeling I may be siding with the lefties on this issue) :cool:

I've done plenty of internships and see nothing wrong with trading gaining experience for compensation. And many internships lead to jobs.

If it seems like an increasing number of internship opportunities are unpaid, that's because they are. And while college students, recent graduates, and even mid-life career-changers are often willing to go without a paycheck to gain experience, not everyone supports this work-for-free phenomenon.

In what could be called an exposé of internships, Ross Perlin's new Intern Nation: How to Earn Nothing and Learn Little in the Brave New Economy examines the history of the practice, what's really legal, and how students, employers, and colleges can change the tide so more interns are paid

Should interns at least make minimum wage? Are college kids being exploited? Or are they getting an unfair advantage over kids who cannot afford to do this?

Some colleges offer credit. But is it fair that students (parents) have to pay six months tuition for a kid to work a job for free?

Thoughts?

But an internship is a part of the instruction/education of the skill being imparted. If an employer had to pay an unskilled person and instruct them in them in the job then they would probably bypass them and hire a skilled and experienced worker. The whole idea is to entice people to take on interns or apprentices and give them experience in the real world. It is a continuing part of their education. They do not get paid for school do they?

Kid #1 spends more time at his unpaid internship than his paid job, and not a lot of kids can afford to do that.

Kid #2 will be in an engineering co-op program next year. 100% of the internships are paid.

The law is pretty sketchy on this.

"The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded"

That makes no sense to me at all. "no immediate advantages"? :confused:

Kid #1 spends more time at his unpaid internship than his paid job, and not a lot of kids can afford to do that.

Kid #2 will be in an engineering co-op program next year. 100% of the internships are paid.

The law is pretty sketchy on this.

"The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded"

That makes no sense to me at all. "no immediate advantages"? :confused:

That's correct.

An intern is an investment. You take someone with no real world skill and introduce them to a real world work environment.

It's vastly different from academics.

Thoughts?

But an internship is a part of the instruction/education of the skill being imparted. If an employer had to pay an unskilled person and instruct them in them in the job then they would probably bypass them and hire a skilled and experienced worker. The whole idea is to entice people to take on interns or apprentices and give them experience in the real world. It is a continuing part of their education. They do not get paid for school do they?

I understand that. I am a teacher and had to spend thousands of dollars while student teaching for free. But the "on the job" experience was critical.

Not all internships are created equal and perhaps that's the bigger issue. In popular fields like acting and fashion, there is no reason to pay anyone because there are a ton of kids who want to do that. But is getting coffee and donuts an "educational experience"?

With so many people unemployed right now, I just feel that the system is ripe for exploitation. Why pay when you get someone for free?

Thoughts?

I understand that. I am a teacher and had to spend thousands of dollars while student teaching for free. But the "on the job" experience was critical.

Not all internships are created equal and perhaps that's the bigger issue. In popular fields like acting and fashion, there is no reason to pay anyone because there are a ton of kids who want to do that. But is getting coffee and donuts an "educational experience"?

With so many people unemployed right now, I just feel that the system is ripe for exploitation. Why pay when you get someone for free?

Yet when you select a career you understand that there will be a period of internship and it will be unpaid. And yes some people get taken advantage of, but isn't that true in all situations?

Interns aren't under the same obligations as salaried employees. Last year I was working on a critical migration that had me in the office for 16 hours sometimes..and working 6 to 7 days a week. I had to do it.

If I were an intern? I would have worked on the stuff that was interesting and left when I wanted to.

I am seriously conflicted on this. Granted, the companies are providing training. Granted, the students are padding their resumes. I suppose my biggest beef is with the colleges. Should they be getting 100 percent tuition for doing little more than "head hunting"?

I am seriously conflicted on this. Granted, the companies are providing training. Granted, the students are padding their resumes. I suppose my biggest beef is with the colleges. Should they be getting 100 percent tuition for doing little more than "head hunting"?

They do a lot more then head hunting. They provide teachers with a good deal of knowledge and experience to teach their students. They provide labs to do work in. They provide students with meaningful social interaction. I don't know how you stretch this into knocking colleges?

I'm not stretching anything. I believe college tuition is outrageous and unaffordable for a good segment of the public. In fact, I believe that "bubble" will be the next blow to the economy.

But I didn't pull that out of thin air. I remember reading a story last year about a school district asking college for a fee to place student teachers. Their argument was reasonable, but it didn't fly.

If I were king of the world, companies, interns, and colleges would "share" the bucko bucks that mostly PARENTS are dishing out for these "opportunities". I don't think that's unreasonable.

We always pay our interns. Heck, we usually even feed them. People work harder when they are being paid, imo. And college kids are really appreciative to get the money.

Good for you ravi.

I saw this being discussed on one of the early shows last week. A CBS intern said she feels bad that her parents are paying her rent and expenses, and that some of her friends who are less fortunate, did not have the same opportunity. CBS can't pay?

I know of interns who worked unpaid at Ralph Lauren and McGraw Hill in NYC. Parents picked up the tab. They can't afford minimum wage? Puhleez.

Forum List

Back