Earn an A? Here's $50.

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
Jeremy Kellum, 14, a freshman, said that although he's accustomed to getting C's, especially in science and social studies, getting paid as much as $4,000 is all the incentive he needs to hit the books harder.

"I do love green money. . . . I'll shoot for A's instead of slacking off, getting by with a C now," Kellum said. "My plan is to study more, to not play in class as much as I did last year, and basically pay attention to the teacher and take good notes and pass tests."

Earn an A? Here's $50. -- chicagotribune.com

god DAMN Im good.. How many times have I posted this educational strategy here over the past 2 years?

Apparently I must be great. I've been paying my kids for all A's since they were in 3rd grade, 8 years ago. In fact I instituted a company policy where I would pay my employee's kids back then. :D

Back in the day I would get a dollar for every A on my report card.

Dang, I was born too early I guess.....

Jeremy Kellum, 14, a freshman, said that although he's accustomed to getting C's, especially in science and social studies, getting paid as much as $4,000 is all the incentive he needs to hit the books harder.

"I do love green money. . . . I'll shoot for A's instead of slacking off, getting by with a C now," Kellum said. "My plan is to study more, to not play in class as much as I did last year, and basically pay attention to the teacher and take good notes and pass tests."

Earn an A? Here's $50. -- chicagotribune.com

god DAMN Im good.. How many times have I posted this educational strategy here over the past 2 years?

Whatever happened to just getting an education, and using all those A's to get a good job?

Whatever happened to just getting an education, and using all those A's to get a good job?

Oh... I think that concept is a fine one and can work quite well.

But the way my parents explained it to me was that "my job" was to go to school, study hard, and get good grades. I got $.25 for a B and a $1.00 for an A. That was my pay for a job well done. A C or below earned me a loss of privileges (and there was no negotiation.)

Did I mention my parents excelled at motivation? :lol:

Gee. If I got good grades, I got to do fun stuff. If I got bad grades, I didn't.

Shouldn't the opportunity to move on to higher education, and achieve a great career, be all the motivation one needs to perform better in school?

I like that it at least isn't coming from taxpayer money, but it says a lot about our current state of education in this country.

Shouldn't the opportunity to move on to higher education, and achieve a great career, be all the motivation one needs to perform better in school?

I like that it at least isn't coming from taxpayer money, but it says a lot about our current state of education in this country.

In theory, yes. However, kids that young really don't yet grasp the importance of a good education. Hell, some people grow up never understanding that concept. If paying them off sets them on the right path, again, I don't see a problem. Both my kids are in college, so I guess it worked for me.

Or, when all else fails, and you can't control them, pay them off. :)
Personally I don't think I will ever pay my son when he gets to that age and If I can't control him then he gets to spend the summer with my brother on his ranch in Wyomning. I will not let my child throw away his education and he is going to college and if he doesn't do that he has to go into the military and I am a liberal.

It's a simple solution. Your kid makes an honest effort to devote an adequate amount of his or her time to their school work, and if they slack off instead, they pay the price of less freedom.

Just another example of parents looking to someone or somewhere else to do their job of parenting for them. A good parent would say thanks but no thanks, I'll do the job of raising my children myself.

Personally I don't think I will ever pay my son when he gets to that age and If I can't control him then he gets to spend the summer with my brother on his ranch in Wyomning. I will not let my child throw away his education and he is going to college and if he doesn't do that he has to go into the military and I am a liberal.

So if you can't control him, you'll pawn him off on someone else? How's THAT responsible parenting?

So if you can't control him, you'll pawn him off on someone else? How's THAT responsible parenting?
No it is not pawning him off for one my brother would enjoy it plus he would teach him hard work. My son's father has always had everything handed to him and was never taught responsiblity, I will not have my son turn out like him. And the end just like how it was from me he would end up enjoying his time there and be thankful for the experience.
Also one should never question someone else parenting because it might come back to bite them in the ass!

No it is not pawning him off for one my brother would enjoy it plus he would teach him hard work. My son's father has always had everything handed to him and was never taught responsiblity, I will not have my son turn out like him. And the end just like how it was from me he would end up enjoying his time there and be thankful for the experience.
Also one should never question someone else parenting because it might come back to bite them in the ass!

Hey, yer the one that stated if you can't control him, you'd ship him off to a relative; not me. :)

Hey, yer the one that stated if you can't control him, you'd ship him off to a relative; not me. :)
He is nine months old so I really don't know what is going to happen. I will probably send him to spend time with brother anyways. I value what my brother can teach him and if you have a problem with that, then that is fine. I plan on raising my son right and I will try anything to make sure he turns out right.

He is nine months old so I really don't know what is going to happen. I will probably send him to spend time with brother anyways. I value what my brother can teach him and if you have a problem with that, then that is fine. I plan on raising my son right and I will try anything to make sure he turns out right.

I didn't say anything about having a problem with anything - I merely asked how that was responsible parenting?

Forum List

Back