Earmarks in spending bill cut by one third

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Congressional 'earmarks' in spending bills cut by a third - USATODAY.com

WASHINGTON — The 2010 federal spending bills disclose $10.2 billion for pet projects inserted by members of Congress, a drop of nearly a third since 2008, an analysis of the bills shows.
The 9,297 "earmarks" reported in spending legislation for 2010 were down from 11,282 reported for the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, according to data compiled by the non-partisan watchdog group Taxpayers for Common Sense. The 2009 earmarks were worth $14.3 billion.

Darn righties would complain if you hung them with new ropes.

I heard no such complaints from 2001-2005 or so out of them.

Actually, lefty, many conservatives have always complained about earmarks, overblown government spending, etc... it's just ones like you ignored it until it was your party in charge

Actually, lefty, many conservatives have always complained about earmarks, overblown government spending, etc... it's just ones like you ignored it until it was your party in charge

You kept voting yours in there and they do earmarks as well. Heck even palin had earmarks and was for the "bridge to nowhere" before she was against it :)

Last edited:
Behind all of those closed and locked doors that we can't get a peek into, all across the Capital grounds, if you listen real closely, today you can hear Democrats whispering to each other and saying things like "We really fucked up this time, didn't we?":lol:

file under pff

"Absolutely, we need earmark reform. And when I'm president, I will go line by line to make sure that we are not spending money unwisely." Barack Obama, September 26, 2008

You kept voting your in there and they do earmarks as well. Heck even palin had earmarks and was for the "bridge to nowhere" before she was against it :)

Sometimes you have to vote for a lesser of 2 evils to keep someone worse out... but I have also voted for an independent candidate for my local senate race because BOTH the incumbent and the main opponent were about as corrupt and anti-conservative value as can be

As stated, many of us have been against and have stated our opposition to earmark spending, overblown government spending, etc ALL ALONG.... it is just you and your ilk that ignored it until it was your party in charge

We most certainly do complain about earmarking. 2006 and 2008 didn't happen in a vacuum, you know. Democrats didn't make those kind of gains all because of their winsome personalities and stunning policy positions. :lol:

Conservatives have a greater tendency to "punish" their candidates at the polls. This is personal observation, of course, and not a scientific study... but I've spent quite a bit of time over the last 3-4 years following politics. And I've noticed a tendency for Democrats to vote in an issue-based way and Republicans to vote on whether or not they agree with the candidates principles. Note how Newt Gingrich was excoriated recently in his support of party over principle in the Dede Scozzafava dust-up.

Truth be told:
Good News....! This is the second budget, maybe the third that the Democrats have cut the earmarks from the HIGHS in earmarks that occurred under the Republicans when they, and their President ran Congress! :D (How'd I do at being partisan? :lol:)

Seems to me I remember OL'BO saying there would be NO EARMARKS when he became President. KInda like the OPEN and Transparant Govt and HEARINGS ON C-SPAN also. Wonder when all that comes to pass???

"As stated, many of us have been against and have stated our opposition to earmark spending, overblown government spending, etc ALL ALONG.... it is just well... we ignored it until it was your party is in charge "

Fixed that for ya.

Absolute horseshit.... but nice attempt to try and change history you dimwit partisan hack

Yes it was absolute Equine Excrement. Your keeping voting in earmarkers of your own party, but whining when Obama reduces earmarks.

Waah, but he did not cut all of them :booze:

Absolute horseshit.... but nice attempt to try and change history you dimwit partisan hack

Yes it was absolute Equine Excrement. Your keeping voting in earmarkers of your own party, but whining when Obama reduces earmarks.

And your feeble attempt to try and change words again

Cutting earmarks was one of the few things I agreed with Obama during his campaign

My statement was that they should be cut by 3/3, not 1/3 (as I have supported all along)... my second statement is that sometimes you do end up voting for the lesser of 2 evils, and sometimes (as I did) you end up wasting a vote on an INDY because the others were too corrupt to even think 1 was a lesser evil... my additional statement is that many of us have complained about such things all along... but you and your ilk don't like to hear that...

nice try though... winger

Cutting earmarks was one of the few things I agreed with Obama during his campaign

My statement was that they should be cut by 3/3, not 1/3 (as I have supported all along)... my second statement is that sometimes you do end up voting for the lesser of 2 evils, and sometimes (as I did) you end up wasting a vote on an INDY because the others were too corrupt to even think 1 was a lesser evil... my additional statement is that many of us have complained about such things all along... but you and your ilk don't like to hear that...

And did they or did they not cut earmarks?

And did they or did they not cut earmarks?

And they allegedly did.. and it is not enough... and not in line with the campaign promises... not to mention the huge amount of earmarks in the stimulus which spreads them out and did a lot of paybacks last year that may have led to this year's alleged decline.... and not to mention this part of the article "Still, the spending bills contain billions of dollars for other special-interest programs that aren't reported as earmarks". So if you take the supposed 4.6 MIL in earmark reduction and add 4.9BIL in undisclosed spending, don't look like much of a cut in absolute reality

More phony book keeping by yet another administration and congress

Forum List

Back