Earmarks in spending bill cut by one third

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rightwinger, Jan 6, 2010.

1. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,508
    Congressional 'earmarks' in spending bills cut by a third - USATODAY.com

WASHINGTON — The 2010 federal spending bills disclose $10.2 billion for pet projects inserted by members of Congress, a drop of nearly a third since 2008, an analysis of the bills shows.
    The 9,297 "earmarks" reported in spending legislation for 2010 were down from 11,282 reported for the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, according to data compiled by the non-partisan watchdog group Taxpayers for Common Sense. The 2009 earmarks were worth $14.3 billion.

2. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Needs to be cut in ANY bill by 3/3... not 1/3

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Darn righties would complain if you hung them with new ropes.

I heard no such complaints from 2001-2005 or so out of them.

4. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Actually, lefty, many conservatives have always complained about earmarks, overblown government spending, etc... it's just ones like you ignored it until it was your party in charge

5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    You kept voting yours in there and they do earmarks as well. Heck even palin had earmarks and was for the "bridge to nowhere" before she was against it :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  6. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,749
    Behind all of those closed and locked doors that we can't get a peek into, all across the Capital grounds, if you listen real closely, today you can hear Democrats whispering to each other and saying things like "We really fucked up this time, didn't we?":lol:

7. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,077
    file under pff

"Absolutely, we need earmark reform. And when I'm president, I will go line by line to make sure that we are not spending money unwisely." Barack Obama, September 26, 2008

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Sometimes you have to vote for a lesser of 2 evils to keep someone worse out... but I have also voted for an independent candidate for my local senate race because BOTH the incumbent and the main opponent were about as corrupt and anti-conservative value as can be

As stated, many of us have been against and have stated our opposition to earmark spending, overblown government spending, etc ALL ALONG.... it is just you and your ilk that ignored it until it was your party in charge

9. Murf76

Murf76 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +594
    We most certainly do complain about earmarking. 2006 and 2008 didn't happen in a vacuum, you know. Democrats didn't make those kind of gains all because of their winsome personalities and stunning policy positions. :lol:

Conservatives have a greater tendency to "punish" their candidates at the polls. This is personal observation, of course, and not a scientific study... but I've spent quite a bit of time over the last 3-4 years following politics. And I've noticed a tendency for Democrats to vote in an issue-based way and Republicans to vote on whether or not they agree with the candidates principles. Note how Newt Gingrich was excoriated recently in his support of party over principle in the Dede Scozzafava dust-up.

10. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,118
    Truth be told:
    Good News....! This is the second budget, maybe the third that the Democrats have cut the earmarks from the HIGHS in earmarks that occurred under the Republicans when they, and their President ran Congress! :D (How'd I do at being partisan? :lol:)