Earmarks, Corruption, Politics, and the New Congress

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Foxfyre, Nov 11, 2010.

?

Which of these statements most reflects your views?

1. The government owns the resources and is obligated to distribute them justly.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The government owns nothing. All belongs to the people.

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Government is necessary for redistribution of wealth in a just society.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The people will spend their own money more effectively than the government will spend it for them.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Constitutionally limited government means the government should dispense little or no charity.

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Constitutionally limited government means the people elect who they want to run it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. None of the above statements are correct and I'll explain in my post.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,477
    According to Redstate this week, President Obama is praying Jim DeMints bill to ban earmarks will be defeated in the Senate. New Speaker John Boehner has pledged a policy of no earmarks in the House. Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell will not agree to an earmark ban.

The GOP has been heavily accused of hypocrisy when they voted against the stimulus package and then requested projects from it once it had passed. Republicans defend those requests by pointing out that their constituents will be paying for the package and therefore deserve their fair share of any 'stimulus' monies distributed.

There was this blurb in the Washington Post:

This this comment from the Heritage Foundation:

In truth, almost all of the stimulus monies expended to date look like earmarks for somebody. And the fact is, as long as Congress brings in the money, they will spend it and most will attempt to do so for maximum political advantage for themselves. And in my opinion, that is corrupting both for government and for the beneficiaries of government largesse.

So for discussion, let's focus on one or more of the following:

1. Do you think of it as the government's money? Or the people's money? Or your money?

2.. Do you favor redistribution of wealth by Congress taking money from the people and reassigning it where they say it is most needed?

3. Would you prefer a policy in which Congress did no redistribution of wealth but left the people to spend the money as they see fit? Why?

4. What does Constitutionally limited government mean to you?

2. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,807
    I started the ball rolling with my basic philosophy. The closest to my understanding is the government owns nothing. The People do. The government is allowed to run a few things for the people for our collective security (the Armed Forces) other than that the government is best kept locked in a box. Whenever it gets involved it invariably screws things up.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,477
    Shoot, I screwed up and the poll isn't multiple choice unless a mod can fix that for us. Mods? Help?

4. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,749
    Earmarks and corruption... I thought this was a thread about Democrats.

5. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,477
    LOL. Nope. I'm open for everybody taking their lumps here. :)

6. kyzr

kyzr Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630
    Earmarks is chump change. After the crooks appropriate the money, they want to skim a little for their districts.

On a serious note, I fully support the Debt Commissions recommendations. Its much better to do SOMETHING now rather than have the entire system collapse later.
    I also hope Obama vetoes any tax cut extension. The government needs to cover their spending, and its better to have the wealthy pay their fair share. To hear them whine you'd think it was more than a few percent.
    STOP WHINING ABOUT THE TAX BUMP. YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE HAD THE TAX CUT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

7. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,477
    I know I'm getting old, but $29 billion is still a lot of money to me. And that's just the part they admitted were earmarks.

I firmly believe there is a LOT of stuff hidden in all the budgets and appropriations bills that should be identified as earmarks but are disguised as something else.