Early America - Founded and Led by Christians!

The government under the Articles had no real power, in that period, religion would be a state thing. I also wonder how many of the leaders of that period were closet-deists? It was, after all, a new age for the wise guys: the age of enlightenment and reason.

Sure, that's why we have more than a thousand denominations using the Bible as a platform of agreement.

Your omission of my 1774 explanation is noted.

And the issue is not religion here, but the use of religion to deny secular civil rights.

The Constitution excluded such a perversion.
When a Christian is attacked, then who is denying who in such a case ?

beagle, what do you mean? Christians are no more and no less protected from being attacked than any other members of a group. They get no special protection for being Christian. Nor should minorities. Nor should LGBT. Let all enjoy their civil liberties equally.

DS and Norweg tried to push the OP into ground that does not exist: there is no special protection for Christianity or Christians because they are such other than the right to believe as they wish and practice as they wish as long as there is no compelling interest to prohibit that practice. That applies to everybody.

beagle, what do you mean? Christians are no more and no less protected from being attacked than any other members of a group. They get no special protection for being Christian. Nor should minorities. Nor should LGBT. Let all enjoy their civil liberties equally.

DS and Norweg tried to push the OP into ground that does not exist: there is no special protection for Christianity or Christians because they are such other than the right to believe as they wish and practice as they wish as long as there is no compelling interest to prohibit that practice. That applies to everybody.

So the above is saying that when Christians are attacked in which was my premise or thinking when wrote what I wrote, then they just have to suck it up because the law's won't give them special attention after becoming the victim of an attack ? I think all victims of attacks of any kind should get the law's attention & even special attention when an attack happens to them, and they should be represented against those who would attack them always.

Seriously, Jake, you need to research before spouting. You are completely wrong.
1777 Articles of Confederation
Article III. The said States hereby severally enter into a firm league of friendship with each other, for their common defense, the security of their liberties, and their mutual and general welfare, binding themselves to assist each other, against all force offered to, or attacks made upon them, or any of them, on account of religion, sovereignty, trade, or any other pretense whatever.
That line is in respect to Parliament giving Catholic Canada religious freedom. Anti-Catholicism was something all Protestants could get behind.

As I said, every Christian denomination in what we call the 13 Colonies was quite willing to hinder other denominations.

Last edited:
The government under the Articles had no real power, in that period, religion would be a state thing. I also wonder how many of the leaders of that period were closet-deists? It was, after all, a new age for the wise guys: the age of enlightenment and reason.
Religion never had to be a "state thing," whatever the size and scope of a central authority. It just so happened that some of the states had churches.

Closet deists? Was deism something to be ashamed of? Maybe so, eh. After all, the leaders, by and large, as Americans generally, were Christian.

Religion never had to be a "state thing," whatever the size and scope of a central authority. It just so happened that some of the states had churches.

Closet deists? Was deism something to be ashamed of? Maybe so, eh. After all, the leaders, by and large, as Americans generally, were Christian.
Politicians didn't just come on the scene, they had politicians when the Constitution was in the mill, and to claim to be a Christian at that time may have been just as important politically as it is today.

Reading the silly three above (that excluses Regent) is good for cleaning the bowels. Their ignorance astounds.

The Christians in this country are no more and no less protected than anyone else.

Sorry, bubs, tis what it is.

Last edited:
Thanksgiving1.jpg
Thanksgiving Proclamation

Issued by President George Washington, at the request of Congress, on October 3, 1789

By the President of the United States of America, a Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and—Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me “to recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:”

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favor, able interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquillity, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted; for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations, and beseech Him to pardon our national and other trangressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally, to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

Go. Washington

Reading the silly three above (that excluses Regent) is good for cleaning the bowels. Their ignorance astounds.

The Christians in this country are no more and no less protected than anyone else.

Sorry, bubs, tis what it is.
OK, now if we could just remember that they are no less protected than anyone else, then maybe we could get somewhere again in this nation.

There are many out there now who see the Good Christians as weak and vulnerable, so attacks may get worse as the culture and society changes, but it will be a wait and see game I guess. People are good at throwing their rocks, and then hiding their hands these days.

I am a Christian, and I feel no weakness and am not vulnerable.

PA laws protect me the same as anybody else, and I need to special treat or exemption.

Forum List

Back