Earliest Snow Ever Recorded In Rapid City

Farmer's Almanac says is gonna be a cold winter...

Granny knittin' possum some new woolens...

... so's his paws don't get cold.

Ive got my 4 inches of white global warming myself... clouds are now breaking and the balmy temp of 27 deg F...

were about to break some 200 year records tonight...

Snow coming a month early is just weather....not to be confused with climate which apparently would require snow coming 6 months early.

Rossby wave. Check out the temperatures in British Columbia and Scandinavia. Norway is seeing temperatures higher than ever recorded there.

Snow coming a month early is just weather....not to be confused with climate which apparently would require snow coming 6 months early.

But if we were in the middle of a heat wave, it would be climate, not weather, right?

Rossby wave. Check out the temperatures in British Columbia and Scandinavia. Norway is seeing temperatures higher than ever recorded there.

Yes, It is a Rossby wave fueled by massive temperature low in the arctic. Down-welling cold from the over sized polar low is causing an oscillation just like the last three winters in the northern hemisphere. The high and low temps are meaningless as the cooling progresses further mid latitude.

This winter will be brutal for the midwest, west, and much of the northern US.

The Rossby wave is NOT an indication of warming. these are created due to cooling and negative temperature imbalance.

Poleward-propagating Rossby waves explain many of the observed statistical teleconnections between low latitude and high latitude climate, as shown in the now classic study by Hoskins and Karoly (1981).[3] Poleward-propagating Rossby waves are an important and unambiguous part of the variability in the Northern Hemisphere, as expressed in the Pacific North America pattern. Similar mechanisms apply in the Southern Hemisphere and partly explain the strong variability in the Amundsen Sea region of Antarctica.[4] In 2011, a Nature Geoscience study using general circulation models linked Pacific Rossby waves generated by increasing central tropical Pacific temperatures to warming of the Amundsen Sea region, leading to winter and spring continental warming of Ellsworth Land and Marie Byrd Land in West Antarctica via an increase in advection.[5]

Rossby wave - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

And all the highlighted items have taken place. I see no mention of mid latitude cooling as a cause. My understanding is that Rossby waves form in response to a build up of heat at the equator, particularly in the Pacific. Something like what was found by Balmaseda, Trenberth and Kallen.

Last edited:
Rossby waves.................:itsok:

Every time Crick starts being publically humiliated, we get this gay link from Wikipedia on Rossby Waves!!!:funnyface::funnyface::gay:

When we see that..........well.....we know how the thread debate is going for the climate obsessed!!!

Poleward-propagating Rossby waves explain many of the observed statistical teleconnections between low latitude and high latitude climate, as shown in the now classic study by Hoskins and Karoly (1981).[3] Poleward-propagating Rossby waves are an important and unambiguous part of the variability in the Northern Hemisphere, as expressed in the Pacific North America pattern. Similar mechanisms apply in the Southern Hemisphere and partly explain the strong variability in the Amundsen Sea region of Antarctica.[4] In 2011, a Nature Geoscience study using general circulation models linked Pacific Rossby waves generated by increasing central tropical Pacific temperatures to warming of the Amundsen Sea region, leading to winter and spring continental warming of Ellsworth Land and Marie Byrd Land in West Antarctica via an increase in advection.[5]

And all the highlighted items have taken place. I see no mention of mid latitude cooling as a cause. My understanding is that Rossby waves form in response to a build up of heat at the equator, particularly in the Pacific. Something like what was found by Balmaseda, Trenberth and Kallen.

Myslef and many others disagree with Trenbreth and his merry klan. Rossby waves require temperature imbalance. The greater the imbalance the more energetic the wave.. But again you missed the point

On what point do you disagree with Balmaseda, Trenberth and Kalllen (and the three or four other studies that have found the exact same deep ocean heat buildup subducted from a warm surface and thus providing a good portion of the observed surface cooling deniers have claimed was an end to global warming.

And what point do you believe I missed?

Myslef and many others disagree with Trenbreth and his merry klan. Rossby waves require temperature imbalance. The greater the imbalance the more energetic the wave.. But again you missed the point

Really? And your link for that statement is?

Here are the real facts on what fuels the deepening Rossby Waves.

Forum List

Back