Ear Hematoma

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
My dog is recovering from this right now, his ear flap puffed up like a balloon! Now, what I'm wondering is if this is an ongoing conditon? Has anyone experienced this with their pet, and what happened? The reason I'm asking is because his ear was drained, he was (is) put on steroids, but it did puff up again, then 'deflate' again right away. I'm worried about it coming back when he's no longer taking steroids. The operation looks very scary, and obviously VERY expensive.

why did the mutto develop the hematoma..what kinda dog? normally they get this from excessive head shaking....or flapping of the ears..what kind of home care are you giving?

He's a beagle. I think the kitten had something to do with it since he's always jumping and biting at his ears. He gets occasional yeast type infections, so I think it might have been a combination of both, although I didn't notice him shaking his head at all before this happened.

He's on steroids right now. I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary with cleaning - vinegar and water solution. The vet wanted me to buy ear drops that were $100. I couldn't afford them, along with everything else. Right before I left, I asked what I could do for cleaning and she said the solution above would work fine. That's after she made me feel like a piece of shit, for not buy the drops and not bringing him in every time his ear flared up. I wasn't overly impressed with her - she accused my of lying, which made me want to punch her right off!

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Since I just lost my dog I would be glad to find the $100.00 to treat him if it saved his life. Once your dog is gone there is no going back.

I"m sorry about your dog, but, as I said, the drops were not necessary as what I was doing was fine. Obviously I 'found' the money for what the vet did do.

My dog is recovering from this right now, his ear flap puffed up like a balloon! Now, what I'm wondering is if this is an ongoing conditon? Has anyone experienced this with their pet, and what happened? The reason I'm asking is because his ear was drained, he was (is) put on steroids, but it did puff up again, then 'deflate' again right away. I'm worried about it coming back when he's no longer taking steroids. The operation looks very scary, and obviously VERY expensive.

The operation itself is very simple. A lot of times the ear is drained in hopes that it will not fill up with blood again. The success rate with draining the ear and steroids is low. Most of the time, the vet will need to perform the simple operation to repair the ear.

From what you described, your dog may need the operation.

I"m sorry about your dog, but, as I said, the drops were not necessary as what I was doing was fine. Obviously I 'found' the money for what the vet did do.
Said I wasn't trying to be mean or sarcastic I just didn't want you to go through what I went through that could have should have stuff.

Do what you need to do for your doggy and worry about the money later. Perhaps you can strike a deal with the vet to pay a little a week or month.

Said I wasn't trying to be mean or sarcastic I just didn't want you to go through what I went through that could have should have stuff.

Do what you need to do for your doggy and worry about the money later. Perhaps you can strike a deal with the vet to pay a little a week or month.

You'll have to excuse me, extenuating circumstances have left me slighty edgy. I probably shouldn't be posting, but I need the distraction!

As for a deal, I tried, with more than one vet, none would go for that. I gave her all the money I could come up with and am hoping for the best. She also told me the dog would be fine no matter what happened, but without treatment his ear would end up looking funny.

I would be looking for another Vet in the future. Really...my dog that died, well last year I had to get his teeth cleaned and some teeth had to be pulled. I asked the Vet how many teeth and about how much it will cost because my husband just retired and funds are very short. She told me about a total of 180 dollars. I said ok do it..well when I picked him up, I look at the bill and it was $219.00 and I saw 6 teeth removal plus the anesthesia. I go in to see the Vet and looked at her with the bill in my hand and said "Doctor, he lost 6 teeth"? She replied, no dear I charged you for 6 but I took out 20!

That is a great VET!

That was nice of your vet. I probably won't go to her again given her attitude. It was just bad timing for the poor dog, I'm really cash strapped right now. Now my daughter is sick. I need a valumedispenser, STAT. :lol:

That was nice of your vet. I probably won't go to her again given her attitude. It was just bad timing for the poor dog, I'm really cash strapped right now. Now my daughter is sick. I need a valumedispenser, STAT. :lol:
How is the Doggie today?

Hopefully it will do the trick. But like Basicgreatguy stated he probably will need surgery and that will cost too. Time to start looking for a new vet starting tomorrow to be ready.

The vet said he'd be ok without it, only his ear would look funny. It's fine now, but we'll see. I really can't pay for the operation right now. We were laughing the other day, calling him the dog who stole Christmas. We love him though, our house wouldn't be the same without him.

A solution of white vinegar and water is perfectly fine to use on/in a dogs ears. My pup had a bad case of ear mites when he came to live with us. The expensive script drops didn't do a thing for them. My VET suggested the vinegar and water to see if that would clear them up. Within a week you could see and smell that it was working. After about two weeks the problem was cleared up completely. The VET said that a lot of times the prescribed drops don't work at all especially on bad cases of ear mites. When mixed and used CORRECTLY vinegar and water for ear mites is just as safe as ........ well.......vinegar and water douche.

Oh damn...I forgot the one thing I was going to tell you SaidI......go to CareCredit.com and read up on what they offer. You will think it's for people only but you will find a clickable link for Veterinary care on the site. It's basically a loan but it gives you the money right away to get what needs to be done, done. You'd have to ask the Vet if they accept it. My mom has used it, I've used it.....it's really a Godsend if your Vet will accept it. They work with you on the repayment terms and it's never been a burden for us paying it back. It sure helps in cases such as yours where the work needs to be done but money is not readily available in one lump sum. Check it out.......CareCredit® Veterinary Financing for Pet Care, Pet Surgery, Vaccinations & Other Veterinary Medicine Procedures

Forum List

Back