Eagle Scout

Congratulations. If used properly, rank, however influential, can be an invaluable quality to a young man's life.

Forgive me if I appear to be distracting from your cause for celebration, and if I'm asking a stupid question, kwc57, but has your eldest ever considered a career in the military?

My dad was an Eagle Scout, no small feat.

Congratulations, Kw, be very proud.

If you ever find yourself out at Philmont, drop me a line, we can tip a brew in Santa Fe.

Great news kwc57! And a wonderful Christmas present!

My son has eight months to complete his. :eusa_pray: he gets it done.

He will if you plant you boot firmly in his backside! ;) My son finished with two months and 12 days left. Kids don't have the same sense of time or urgency that we adults do. I will say, he did it all on his own.........but with plenty of finger pointing at the calendar by me and mom. Not to brag, but he is an outstanding young man who has made the most out of his scouting career. He has held every elected position in the troop, gone on three high adventure trips backpacking and canoeing in excess of 200 miles, staffed summer camp for two years, staffed two NYLT courses, holds the Vigil Honor in Order of the Arrow where he has held two Chapter positions and one Lodge position as well as serving on the elections and ceremonies teams. The Board of Review told him that they had decided to pass him by just reading his project workbook, reading his record and his letters of recommendation before they ever interviewed him. And he did all that while maintaining all A's in honors classes and working 6 days a week to pay for his truck and it's upkeep.

I'm sorry, I just popped a button or two on my vest. :lol:

Congratulations. If used properly, rank, however influential, can be an invaluable quality to a young man's life.

Forgive me if I appear to be distracting from your cause for celebration, and if I'm asking a stupid question, kwc57, but has your eldest ever considered a career in the military?

Not only is he my eldest, he is my only. Over the last several years, he actually gave a lot of thought to applying to NROTC to graduate college as a Lt. in the Marines. He has since become very interested in engineering and is leaning that way now.

My dad was an Eagle Scout, no small feat.

Congratulations, Kw, be very proud.

If you ever find yourself out at Philmont, drop me a line, we can tip a brew in Santa Fe.

Due to my insulin dependent diabetes, I personally have ruled out ever doing a trek at Philmont. That being said, I have always wanted to come out to Philmont to attend their training center. If I ever do, I'll let you know.

my son turned his in at 10 pm the night before his 18th birthday.

:thup:

I was pretty close myself...lol

i thought his mom's head was going to explode.

good times...

We've got another kid in the troop who dropped out a couple of years ago. He kept coming back....to individual troop meetings.....saying he wanted to get his Eagle and then disappear for a few more months. Seems skateboarding and hanging out at Starbucks were much higher priorities for him. He's back again, but this time he has actually found a project and went before his approval board the same night that my son did his final board. This kid ages out like February 2nd. In addition to doing his project, he has about six or seven merit badges left to do, three of which are the ones with 90 days of record keeping involved. From what I've seen, I don't think I could sign off on his leadership requirements during his time as a Life Scout either. But I'm not the Scoutmaster who makes that call. I'm sure this kid's parents heads are about to explode too.

You know, there are Eagles and then there are EAGLES. Some kids squeak by with the minimum and other kids have an impressive resume of active scouting. I saw a kid make Eagle at my son's initial board and the kid had only 26 nights of camping in his entire time in scouting. He looked to be 16 or 17. My son had over 26 nights in his first year alone.

Forum List

Back