Each Arrest on Mexican Border Now Costs Taxpayers $1700

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Each Arrest on Mexican Border Now Costs Taxpayers $1700
NewsMax.com
Monday, July 18, 2005
The cost to U.S. taxpayers of making a single arrest along the U.S.-Mexican border increased from $300 in 1992 to $1,700 in 2002 – an increase of 467 percent in just one decade.

That's the shocking report from the Cato Institute's Center for Trade Policy Studies, which takes a critical look at American efforts to stem the tide of illegal immigration from south of the border.

The report, written by Princeton University Prof. Douglas S. Massey, says that those stepped-up efforts have in fact backfired and led to a drop in the apprehension of illegals entering the country – and an increase in the number of aliens living in the U.S.
According to Massey, increased border enforcement has only succeeded in pushing immigration flows into more remote regions.

That has led to a tripling of the death rate at the border and a dramatic decrease in the rate of apprehension.

Meanwhile the tax money being spent to fight illegal immigration has skyrocketed. In 1986, the budget for the entire Immigration and Naturalization Service was $474 million, including $151 million for the Border Patrol.

By 2002, the budget of the Border Patrol alone had reached $1.6 billion, while the budget of the INS was $6.2 billion.

The growing expenditures, coupled with the decrease in apprehensions, led to the 467 percent increase in the cost of making one arrest along the border, according to Massey, coauthor of "Beyond Smoke and Mirrors: Mexican Immigration in an Era of Economic Integration."

Furthermore, increased U.S. efforts to apprehend aliens have driven up the cost of crossing the border illegally, so aliens are more likely to stay longer in the U.S. to recoup their cost of entry – or not return to their home country at all.

"If this increase in the cost of enforcement, high as it was, had slowed the flow of undocumented migrants, one might consider it money well spent," Massey concludes.

"But as we have seen, in 2002 the probability of apprehension was lower than at any point in the modern history of Mexican-U.S. migration, and the number of Mexicans entering the United States was greater than ever."

Massey favors President Bush's initiative to enact a temporary visa program that would allow workers from other countries to work in the U.S. without restriction for a certain limited time.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/7/18/121904.shtml

Put the damn military on the border and be done with it. Build a base right on the border, every hundred miles. What we'll SAVE in not having illegals here could PAY for it.

I'm sick of hearing about this, and not a one of those asshole politicians seems to give a damn, starting with dubya. If we were to vote tomorrow for President, and he was running, I WOULD NOT vote for him, just because of this issue.

Pale Rider said:
Put the damn military on the border and be done with it. Build a base right on the border, every hundred miles. What we'll SAVE in not having illegals here could PAY for it.

I'm sick of hearing about this, and not a one of those asshole politicians seems to give a damn, starting with dubya. If we were to vote tomorrow for President, and he was running, I WOULD NOT vote for him, just because of this issue.

I have the same feelings towards GWB - however, it's not just him... name ONE President that has guarded our borders properly.... For that matter, the Republican house is being a bunch of candy-asses on this issue as well....

Libs - take notes here... Us "Right-wingers" have no problems criticizing the Republican party on issues where they fall short... Unlike you, who have nothing but praise for your democrats...

I refuse to vote for another candidate that won't close that border. Just 30,000 down there would cut back on almost all of the illegal immigration and drugs trafficking. Just take the Guard on their two weeks active, extend them to 1 month and put them on that border and you have almost all of it resolved.

If the Republicans don't get this I think they will lose the next election.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
no1tovote4 said:
I refuse to vote for another candidate that won't close that border. Just 30,000 down there would cut back on almost all of the illegal immigration and drugs trafficking. Just take the Guard on their two weeks active, extend them to 1 month and put them on that border and you have almost all of it resolved.

If the Republicans don't get this I think they will lose the next election.

I have yet to hear any of the leaders from the Democrat party offer better ideas.... I don't think they're willing to close it either.... *sigh*...

Things will have to get a lose worse than they are before a major political party comes out in support of closing the borders.

They simply can't risk losing the votes right now.

They think they will lose more votes advocating closing the borders than any alternative.

GotZoom said:
Things will have to get a lose worse than they are before a major political party comes out in support of closing the borders.

They think they will lose more votes advocating closing the borders than any alternative.

Kinda odd isn't it - seeing as how you claim they want the votes of illegals who can't vote anyway? :)

-Cp said:
Kinda odd isn't it - seeing as how you claim they want the votes of illegals who can't vote anyway? :)

Not odd at all. It isn't the illegals votes they want. It's the illegals families (who are here legally) votes; along with their "mexican brothers and sisters" who are legal.

GotZoom said:

Yes GotZoom, and that's called "WHORING" yourself out for a vote, and they're all freakin' guilty of it.

Like I said, I don't give a rats ass WHO the person is, if they're saying they'll shut down the border, I'm voting for them... except hitlery... or any other democrap... :D

Pale Rider said:
Yes GotZoom, and that's called "WHORING" yourself out for a vote, and they're all freakin' guilty of it.

Like I said, I don't give a rats ass WHO the person is, if they're saying they'll shut down the border, I'm voting for them... except hitlery... or any other democrap... :D
So how do you think the timing for the bomber who crosses from Mexico will be planned out?

Forum List

Back