E for Effort

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Schools across New England have been publishing their end-of-year honor rolls in the local papers. Many of these schools - from Rockport to Bedford, N.H. to Cumberland, R.I. - also include something called the “Effort Honor Roll.” This is the honor roll for kids who, well, didn’t actually make the honor roll but should feel good about it, anyway.

And some schools that aren’t starting effort rolls have decided instead to stop publishing honor rolls at all. If nobody wins, then nobody loses, right?

Schools confusing effort with results - BostonHerald.com

This kind of stuff makes me nuts.

The Honor Roll is motivational psychology rubbish.

It implies that an A in History or English Literature is as good as an A in Mathematics.

I wonder how many English teachers took 4 years of math when they were in high school.

psik

The Honor Roll is an "honor' or award for academic achievement. Not unlike a trophy for a championship game. Students should be proud of accomplishing something beyond just attending school.

It's time we start recognizing our future leaders in the classroom as much as those on the basketball court.

We are devaluing academics and making our schools nothing more than daycares. Sad.

I would have never made the Effort Roll because it wasn't much of an effort for me to make High Honors.

They should just call it The Roll. It has nothing to do with honor.

:lol: E for effort what a bunch of shit! So if a kid cuts every day of class but showed up for one day, is that "effort." If they are a straight F student and get D in ONE class is that effort? Sorry the E for effort thing is bullshit. Reward the ones who deserve it.

When i graduated it was called " The principals list" and not the honor role. There were four of us. I laughed my ass off because i didn't think i "worked" for it at all.

I am sick of all of this crap about pressure. The sooner children learn how to compete and make it in the real world the better they will be.

How about this for an idea to light some fires under children and parents.

A new list for publication: F for failure.

It implies that an A in History or English Literature is as good as an A in Mathematics.

I wonder how many English teachers took 4 years of math when they were in high school.

psik

I wonder how many people who think math is all that matters can't communicate in their own mother tongue. :cuckoo:

I don't think many jobs in today's society are anywhere near as challenging as teaching. Personally, I think I would rather be a prison guard.

How you guys who teach keep it together in the face of bullshit like this just astounds me.

psik

Wow. Just, wow.

An A in Math and Science is worth very little without an A in History and English Literature. Those other A's help you to understand the the impact of Math and Science on culture, and help you explain that impact to others.

How about the Smart Roll and the Wicked Smart Roll?

How about a kaiser roll?

Go make me a sammich!

Like you though, I didn't have any trouble making honor roll every time. I usually barely paid attention and got an A in the AP and dual credit classes. Turned around and really bit me in the A-H-A-H-ASS when I got to college. I didn't develop any study skills, cause I always did OK in high school. When I got to college I damn near flunked out first semester, cause damn....I actually needed to study there.

Last edited:
Being on the honor roll is almost always for the benefit of someone other than the kid. Parents, teachers, friends.. If you are an honor student and it doesn't take a lot of effort, you really don't care about the list. Others around you need it for their sense of worth tho.

You already have the motivation.

If you are really trying and improvement is there, it's nice that someone honors that effort.

Chanel might be only interested in promoting the smart kids tho.. :eusa_whistle:

Wrong Sarah. I teach handicapped kids. Many of them make the honor roll. It's not about being "smart". It's actually about effort as well.

You can not measure "trying". Only achievement. And in the real world no one gets a trophy for participating or a bonus for "attempting" to do a good job. Sheez.

It's stupid. I believe my own children and my students would be embarrassed by having their name in the paper for "effort".

And what about those kids that don't make either list? Talk about self esteem....

Wrong Sarah. I teach handicapped kids. Many of them make the honor roll. It's not about being "smart". It's actually about effort as well.

You can not measure "trying". Only achievement. And in the real world no one gets a trophy for participating or a bonus for "attempting" to do a good job. Sheez.

It's stupid. I believe my own children and my students would be embarrassed by having their name in the paper for "effort".

And what about those kids that don't make either list? Talk about self esteem....

What sort of handicaps?

I would have never made the Effort Roll because it wasn't much of an effort for me to make High Honors.

I could have easily made the honor roll too.

I chose not to.

It would have involved less beer, less weed, less music, and that whole "caught banging the principal's daughter on his living room sofa" ordeal, but I could have done it.

Looking back, I still remember the principal's daughter.

Not sure I remember what years or which schools where I am on the honor roll.

What sort of handicaps?

You name it. Learning disabled, emotionally disturbed, autistic, deaf, blind, dyslexic...

What sort of handicaps?

You name it. Learning disabled, emotionally disturbed, autistic, deaf, blind, dyslexic...

In a public school environment, there can be many levels of learning abilities as well but effort comes into play in all levels.

The intent in using the effort list is to let all kids understand they can succeed. I disagree with your objection on posting the effort list and I don't think the kids on that list are embarrassed.

How much longer will we continue to give grades?

We all know the day of "Pass/Fail" only are not too far away. And then will come the day of no grade at all, just a certificate of attendance.

We continue to make our public education system a complete and total joke.....with no punch line.

New Topics

Forum List

Back