~Dying At 50~

I have been bothered by something for the past 2 days.
This past week, and up till Monday, I have personally known 3 people who have all died at the age of 50, recently.
One was my daughter-in-laws Aunt, she died from leukemia. (Last Thursday)
One was a guy I have known for years, he had a live-in, and one day while at work, on lunch, he keeled over- apparent heart attack that we know so far. (Last Friday)
And at our local Wal-Mart, which btw, is one of THE largest Wal-Mart stores in the state of Tennessee, a good friend I have known for years, and has worked at this store for 22 years!--she went home Monday and said she wasn't feeling well. So she told her husband she was going to lie down, and when he went to check on her a little bit later, she was dead. She had a heart attack. (Monday afternoon)
Our Wal-Mart has wreaths displayed at all entrances, with her photo. And her calling hours were this evening, well Wednesday.
Now I don't know about the rest of y'all, but when I go to tell someone my age, and I never lie, I always admit my age, I say I'm 49- which I am- but I think I sound old.
But when I read an obit in the newspaper, and it lists the age of the deceased as "50"....my first reaction is- "Omg, so young!"
And I guess when I think about it, 50 is young, and for 3 people to have departed at that age, all within a matter of a few days of each other and I knew them all- I just feel......well....crappy. I don't know how else to say it :(

I have a friend who had a massive heart attack. The only reason he is alive, is because it happened across the street from a hospital. He has had a triple bypass since. He is 34. That was a shocker. If I were in your shoes I would get a check up . I did and discovered that I had a condition called SVT and high blood pressure.

Oh, And we have no choice really when we die. Sorry to get religious on you, but we dont take a breath without Gods (or who ever) say so. We dont know when our time is. This is why I try and not leave arguments unsettled, or debts unpaid. I try and tell my Wife and kids I love them daily. That stuff is all we can really control.

Thanks everyone, and I agree with you Anach, I honestly don't care to live past 65, hell I don't care if I go much earlier!
Nobody in my immediate family has lived past the age of 66......so I don't foresee a long life for myself.
I lost my Mother when she was 66 and my real dad was 54 when he passed away.
I guess it's also the fact, these 3 people I talked about, didn't look 50!!!
Especially the gal who worked at Wal-Mart, she always looked so happy and was so energetic, I imagined her to be much younger. When I found out she was older than me, (which was a long while back) I was shocked!
Yep...you just never know when your time is up.

I'm 47 and I hope that I live to 150 or longer, if possible!
I don't understand the mindset "I don't want to live past _____ ". I want to live as long as I can.

I have all sorts of plans for my 50s and 60s...my kids will be older and I will be able to devote some full on time to myself and my own hobbies, and I intend to. I'm counting the minutes, lol. Getting a horse trailer next year, hopefully a camper the year after...and by 2014 I have every intention of spending all the time possible in the back country. By myself, with others...I'm easy. And I hope to be able to continue doing that until I croak.

Who knows, a plane engine may fall on my head while I'm out picking up dog poop tomorrow, though. People die suddenly and unexpectedly every single day, so I do my best to treasure each and every day...and I'll keep doing that. No time limit for me.

I wonder if the government has statistics on people picking up dog poop with plane engines falling on them? They probably have burn victims on camping trips too.

I wonder if the government has statistics on people picking up dog poop with plane engines falling on them? They probably have burn victims on camping trips too.

I cant speak to the poop, airplaine thind, but there is this

Tuesday, March 11, 1958 showed Walter Gregg and his family nothing unusual or memorable about it up to that point. The kids had arrived home from school and like kids everywhere, they were playing outdoors. The two Gregg girls, Helen, six and her sister Frances, nine were joined by their nine-year-old cousin, Ella Davies, in the treehouse, located close to the garden in the adjoining wooded area. In time the kids tired of the treehouse and returned to play in the yard. Walter and his son, Walter Jr. were building benches in their workshop next to the house.

Incident at Mars Bluff

Forum List

Back