Dwyane Wade thinks NBA players should be paid for playing in Olympics

Ray Allen said the same thing a while back. Obviously, what Wade is saying is stupid.

I agree, but the problem with that is its nearly impossible to draw the line between who is and isn't an amateur these days. And even more impossible for the Olympic committee to determine the truth.. Some countries will help hide the truth about certain athletes, while others such as China will have an unfair advantage because their athletes are training is paid for by the state. Athletes with talent and potential are seperated from their parents at a very young age and put in state run training camps with the sole purpose of winning medals at world events.

Yup in 1988 for example we sent college kids and the Russians sent fuckin Arvydas Sabonis, a 7 foot 3 center who played professionally in Russia and was a total beast, that was not fair to expose our kids to that.

Yup in 1988 for example we sent college kids and the Russians sent fuckin Arvydas Sabonis, a 7 foot 3 center who played professionally in Russia and was a total beast, that was not fair to expose our kids to that.

Ironically, Center was the one position where we clearly had the upper hand, putting a clearly superior David Robinson up against a mediocre Sabonis.

They both played against each other in the NBA.... there's no question who the better Center was. Sabonis was big and strong, but Robinson wasn't easily pushed around. I'm a Big Man, so I'm biased, but I feel like the offense doesn't really start until the Big Man posts up. We had a long, long thread about the greatest center of all time - and David Robinson wasn't him, but I would say that he was just a really, really, really great Center. We were so fortunate then to have any number of Centers in the league who were every bit as good as Howard is now.

The problem we had in '88 was that TeamUSA was not prepared for the exact same thing that the NBA wasn't really prepared for just a few years later when the same Eastern European players showed up. They weren't really ready for players like Marciulionis who could actually hit 25+ footers with amazing regularity. At the time college players and NBA players alike would toe-up to the 3 point line to attemp their shot and so from a defensive perspective that became the outer-border of where you would attempt to contest a shot.

The Eastern Europeans then and everybody now - you give them a good look at the basket from 3 or 4 feet outside the 3 point line, they square up and sink the ball.

Ironically, Center was the one position where we clearly had the upper hand, putting a clearly superior David Robinson up against a mediocre Sabonis.

They both played against each other in the NBA.... there's no question who the better Center was. Sabonis was big and strong, but Robinson wasn't easily pushed around. I'm a Big Man, so I'm biased, but I feel like the offense doesn't really start until the Big Man posts up. We had a long, long thread about the greatest center of all time - and David Robinson wasn't him, but I would say that he was just a really, really, really great Center. We were so fortunate then to have any number of Centers in the league who were every bit as good as Howard is now.

The problem we had in '88 was that TeamUSA was not prepared for the exact same thing that the NBA wasn't really prepared for just a few years later when the same Eastern European players showed up. They weren't really ready for players like Marciulionis who could actually hit 25+ footers with amazing regularity. At the time college players and NBA players alike would toe-up to the 3 point line to attemp their shot and so from a defensive perspective that became the outer-border of where you would attempt to contest a shot.

The Eastern Europeans then and everybody now - you give them a good look at the basket from 3 or 4 feet outside the 3 point line, they square up and sink the ball.

Well when Sabonis came to the NBA in 1996 he was past his prime, in 1988 he was in his prime and an unfair advantage over the college kids we sent, I don't know what other players the USSR sent but odds are those were grown professional men as well. I was only 7 in 1988 when these games were played so I don't remember them but this is what I read.

The 92 Dream Team was awesome, they killed everyone by like 60 points.

They helped kill the Olympics too.

Not really. They totally internationalized the NBA though. TeamUSA Basketball wasn't exactly riding high after John Thompson Sr. screwed the pooch in '88.

'92 was merely restoring the order.

The 92 Dream Team was awesome, they killed everyone by like 60 points.

They helped kill the Olympics too.

Immie

How do you figure that?:confused:

First of all, I am not speaking only about basketball. The spirit of the Olympics has been destroyed by allowing professionals to participate. They have actually destroyed the Olympic games. Not just the professionals who are participating, but the officials who have allowed them to do so.

Immie

Last edited:
Well when Sabonis came to the NBA in 1996 he was past his prime, in 1988 he was in his prime and an unfair advantage over the college kids we sent, I don't know what other players the USSR sent but odds are those were grown professional men as well. I was only 7 in 1988 when these games were played so I don't remember them but this is what I read.

It doesn't matter what you read. What matters is what you're reading right now. Robinson and Sabonis are basically the same age. Centers can be "in their prime" well into their 30s. When Sabonis came into the NBA in '96 Robinson was a multi, multi All-Star who would eat his lunch every single night.

I was not "only 7" in '88, I was a college basketball player who watched my contemporaries with great interest. There have been lots of big strong centers. Robinson was an outstanding defender. He was big and nimble. He was as good at fronting his man as anyone I've ever seen the game and you did *NOT* want to give him a chance at blocking your shot.

If you really want to know what happened in '88, I'll tell you. We were out-coached. Most would choose to revise history and not tell it like it really is, but we all thought that the TeamUSA coach was overrated. Nova's '85 win didn't seem like ancient history then. TeamUSA's coach consistently underperformed with the talent he was given and he seemed to be easily outsmarted.

And that's what the Soviet's did - they outsmarted him. Plus, Manning was probably the most overrated player of all time, so building an offense around him was at best ill-advised.

We had a bad coach. Plain and simple. We were uncomfortable saying it at the time, but I think that there was a sortof anxiousness from everybody, black and white, when he was named head coach. Nobody wanted to lose. We hadn't played in 12 years. The idea that the coach was being picked (truth be told) because of the color of his skin made the thought of losing even more painful.

First of all, I am not speaking only about basketball. The spirit of the Olympics has been destroyed by allowing professionals to participate. They have actually destroyed the Olympic games. Not just the professionals who are participating, but the officials who have allowed them to do so.

No - that's not true. The last 5 Olympics have been peaceful (Atlanta-bombing aside), sportsmanly, goodwill events.

'88 was good. Before that they were fucking messes of stupid patriotism interfering with simple sporting events.

It doesn't matter what you read. What matters is what you're reading right now. Robinson and Sabonis are basically the same age. Centers can be "in their prime" well into their 30s. When Sabonis came into the NBA in '96 Robinson was a multi, multi All-Star who would eat his lunch every single night.

I was not "only 7" in '88, I was a college basketball player who watched my contemporaries with great interest. There have been lots of big strong centers. Robinson was an outstanding defender. He was big and nimble. He was as good at fronting his man as anyone I've ever seen the game and you did *NOT* want to give him a chance at blocking your shot.

If you really want to know what happened in '88, I'll tell you. We were out-coached. Most would choose to revise history and not tell it like it really is, but we all thought that the TeamUSA coach was overrated. Nova's '85 win didn't seem like ancient history then. TeamUSA's coach consistently underperformed with the talent he was given and he seemed to be easily outsmarted.

And that's what the Soviet's did - they outsmarted him. Plus, Manning was probably the most overrated player of all time, so building an offense around him was at best ill-advised.

We had a bad coach. Plain and simple. We were uncomfortable saying it at the time, but I think that there was a sortof anxiousness from everybody, black and white, when he was named head coach. Nobody wanted to lose. We hadn't played in 12 years. The idea that the coach was being picked (truth be told) because of the color of his skin made the thought of losing even more painful.

Thats fair enough, I didn't know Sabonis and Robinson were the same age, I thought Robinson was younger. I'll take your word for it, all I saw of the 88 games were old clips and some articles I read.

No - that's not true. The last 5 Olympics have been peaceful (Atlanta-bombing aside), sportsmanly, goodwill events.

'88 was good. Before that they were fucking messes of stupid patriotism interfering with simple sporting events.

No, that is not true. After professionals were allowed to participate they became nothing more than money grubbing spectacles. They have been commercialized to the max and are barely even worth watching the 11:00 news to see what the medal count is any more.

Immie

No, that is not true. After professionals were allowed to participate they became nothing more than money grubbing spectacles. They have been commercialized to the max and are barely even worth watching the 11:00 news to see what the medal count is any more.

Immie

Well if the Olympics are making money off professionals I wouldn't count on it changing anytime soon.

Immie

Well if the Olympics are making money off professionals I wouldn't count on it changing anytime soon.

Yeah, believe me, I certainly understand that, but that doesn't mean I particularly like it.

Immie

Fact is though, without Dwyane Wade Team USA does not win gold in Beijing.

Idiotic, moronic and stupid all at the same time.

Subtle "I didn't actually watch the games" post. No way the US beats Spain in the gold game if Wade isn't carrying the team most of the game.

If you were going to name an MVP of the Olympic games for the “Redeem Team” you would have to go with Dwyane Wade. Wade once again proved that, when healthy, he is still among the top 5 players in the world.

Nobody on the planet can hit as many acrobatic shots around the rim as Wade, nobody. He’s so good at controlling his body in the air and his upper body strength is amazing. Wade, like Kobe, saved his best performance for when the Americans needed him the most, shooting a scintillating 75 percent from the field, including 4-for-7 from three point range.

Wade finished with a game-high 27 points. He led all American scorers with 16.0 pts per game and shot over 45 percent from three-point range during the eight games in the Olympics. The former Marquette star also averaged four rebounds per game and 2.3 steals per game. Clearly, it isn’t any secret why the “Redeem Team” played its best basketball when Dwyane Wade was on the floor—he was their MVP.
The Wide World of Wade Hampton Peery: The Redeem Team: USA Basketball Claims Gold in Beijing

We had a long, long thread about the greatest center of all time - and David Robinson wasn't him, but I would say that he was just a really, really, really great Center.

I'd be interested in reading this thread^^

Personally, I'd take Hakeem Olajuwon over any center of any era. Hell, I'd take Hakeem over any player period not named Michael Jordan.

After professionals were allowed to participate they became nothing more than money grubbing spectacles. They have been commercialized to the max and are barely even worth watching the 11:00 news to see what the medal count is any more.
I can't imagine what you're actually referring to.

So, first of all there are very few olympic athletes that can make a living doing their event as a full time job. Allowing "professionals" into the olympics practically speaking affects very few people.

I would say that '08 produced probably the single most unbelievable moment I have ever seen in sport when a man ran much, much faster than any other man has ever run before and then turned around to check out the competition as he crossed the finish line. Alot of people run that 100M distance. I don't think that I will ever in my lifetime see someone blow the world record away like happened in '08. That would not have happened if the Olympics didn't allow professionals.

In '10, I watched my most anticipated match ever between 2 teams of outstanding professionals who see each other on the ice every night, but this night it was for the pride of their country. I know that World Cup countries see this every 4 years, I had never seen this kind of high quality, high stakes match before from my own country.

In '92 I saw the first Dream Team, which was simply an unbelievable collection of players to take the floor together. In '08 I saw the best basketball team I have ever seen take the floor.

The list of benefits for allowing pros extends to women's basketball, marathon runners, volleyball, tennis, etc., etc.

In the case of tennis they're obvously playing for national pride, because the tournament isn't really is big a deal as Wimbledon before it or the US Open after.

Fact is though, without Dwyane Wade Team USA does not win gold in Beijing.

Idiotic, moronic and stupid all at the same time.

Subtle "I didn't actually watch the games" post. No way the US beats Spain in the gold game if Wade isn't carrying the team most of the game.

Son, you're barking up the wrong tree. Wade lead all scorers in the gold medal game in '08. That's true. Bryant had a better game and it's hard to say what would have happened if Wade would have spent more time on the bench. He certainly wasn't the only guy on the team who could put the ball in the hole.

I think Spain '08 was probably the greatest non-US team to ever take the floor. And they're all back (maybe Rubio) and they have a couple of additions. I'm not sure that any of them have really lost a step. Pencil in Spain for the Gold Medal match in London.

After professionals were allowed to participate they became nothing more than money grubbing spectacles. They have been commercialized to the max and are barely even worth watching the 11:00 news to see what the medal count is any more.
I can't imagine what you're actually referring to.

So, first of all there are very few olympic athletes that can make a living doing their event as a full time job. Allowing "professionals" into the olympics practically speaking affects very few people.

I would say that '08 produced probably the single most unbelievable moment I have ever seen in sport when a man ran much, much faster than any other man has ever run before and then turned around to check out the competition as he crossed the finish line. Alot of people run that 100M distance. I don't think that I will ever in my lifetime see someone blow the world record away like happened in '08. That would not have happened if the Olympics didn't allow professionals.

In '10, I watched my most anticipated match ever between 2 teams of outstanding professionals who see each other on the ice every night, but this night it was for the pride of their country. I know that World Cup countries see this every 4 years, I had never seen this kind of high quality, high stakes match before from my own country.

In '92 I saw the first Dream Team, which was simply an unbelievable collection of players to take the floor together. In '08 I saw the best basketball team I have ever seen take the floor.

The list of benefits for allowing pros extends to women's basketball, marathon runners, volleyball, tennis, etc., etc.

In the case of tennis they're obvously playing for national pride, because the tournament isn't really is big a deal as Wimbledon before it or the US Open after.

We'll never have another "Miracle on Ice" again, because we are expected to and damned well better win every game.

Miracle on Ice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nothing you mentioned even comes close... and to think. I missed the damned game because I was in boot camp!

Immie

We'll never have another "Miracle on Ice" again, because we are expected to and damned well better win every game.

Nothing you mentioned even comes close... and to think. I missed the damned game because I was in boot camp!

Immie

So, the USA is definitely not expected to win every hockey match. The Dream Team is definitely expected to (and damned well better win) every game it plays. But the gap between the US and the rest of the world is closing, even if it is still vast, and as I said earlier, Spain will likley field the greatest non-American team ever this summer.

There's no way a bunch of college kids would be beating this Spanish team.

Back to hockey, the Miracle on Ice was such a big deal only because of the outcome. Had the Soviets won it would have been a forgotten match. I didn't watch it, I believe because Basketball was on and while I do have a love for TeamUSA, I also have this thing about not watching games if I expect my team to get blown out. I've seen it on re-runs, like most people who have seen the match.

This was not the dynamic of the Gold Medal '10 match, which was certainly the most television-watched hockey match ever (by far, totally destroying the Miracle on Ice) and should likely go down as "the greatest of all time". I wish we had won, surely, but I assume that all involved thought it was a hard-fought match between 2 very evenly matched teams.

Furthermore, the Miracle on Ice was played in a small venue in an out-of-the-way location and it simply didn't have the same buzz that '10 had.

Were you old enough to watch amateur-only Olympics? I was.

Immie

So, the USA is definitely not expected to win every hockey match. The Dream Team is definitely expected to (and damned well better win) every game it plays. But the gap between the US and the rest of the world is closing, even if it is still vast, and as I said earlier, Spain will likley field the greatest non-American team ever this summer.

Back to hockey, the Miracle on Ice was such a big deal only because of the outcome. Had the Soviets won it would have been a forgotten match. I didn't watch it, I believe because Basketball was on and while I do have a love for TeamUSA, I also have this thing about not watching games if I expect my team to get blown out. I've seen it on re-runs, like most people who have seen the match.

This was not the dynamic of the Gold Medal '10 match, which was certainly the most television-watched hockey match ever (by far, totally destroying the Miracle on Ice) and should likely go down as "the greatest of all time". I wish we had won, surely, but I assume that all involved thought it was a hard-fought match between 2 very evenly matched teams.

Furthermore, the Miracle on Ice was played in a small venue in an out-of-the-way location and it simply didn't have the same buzz that '10 had.

You are right theres no way our college kids could compete against the Gasol Brothers, Rudy Fernandez etc if Rubio wasn't injured they would be even better.

Immie

You talk about not watching a game because your team is expected to get blown out. Yet, you seem to be thrilled to death to watch a game when your team is expected to do the blowing out? What the hell fun is that?

NBA basketball is nothing if it is not boring. And now you want to make it part of the Olympics? Why not just drive a stake into the heart of the International Olympic Committee and get it over with now?

Immie

Immie

You are absolutely right, the Miracle on Ice would have been nothing had USA not gone on to win the Gold... guess what... they did. That was why everything was so thrilling. They were not expected to win.

Now you want The Dream Team to win every game 117-40. /yawn.

No, thanks.

Immie

Immie

You are absolutely right, the Miracle on Ice would have been nothing had USA not gone on to win the Gold... guess what... they did. That was why everything was so thrilling. They were not expected to win.

Now you want The Dream Team to win every game 117-40. /yawn.

No, thanks.

Immie

Dude 117-40 is what it was like in 92, we didn't beat Spain by very much in the 08 Olympic games, the rest of the world is alot better than it was back in 1992, shoot in the world championships in 2010 we only beat Spain by 1 point in a exhibition game.

Forum List

Back