Dwyane Wade thinks NBA players should be paid for playing in Olympics

Well didn't take long to back pedal on this one.

Dwyane Wade: No pay for Olympics

dwayne_wade_at_streetball.jpg

MIAMI -- Heat guard Dwyane Wade says money is not his motivation for the London Games this summer.

In a statement Thursday, Wade said, "I do not want to be paid to go to the Olympics."

Wade was quoted Wednesday saying he thinks "guys should be compensated" for playing over the summer and noted the schedule demands of being an Olympian.

"It's a lot of things you do for the Olympics -- a lot of jerseys you sell," Wade said after the Heat's practice on Wednesday in advance of Thursday's game against Chicago. "We play the whole summer. I do think guys should be compensated. Just like I think college players should be compensated as well. Unfortunately, it's not there. But I think it should be something, you know, there for it."

The gold-medal game is scheduled for Aug. 12, about a month before many NBA players resume workouts to gear up for training camps that open in late September or early October.

"The biggest thing is now you get no rest," Wade said. "So you go to the end of the season, [Team USA] training camp is two weeks later. You're giving up a lot to do it. It's something you want to do. But it's taxing on your body. You're not playing for the dollar. But it would be nice if you would get compensated."

Miami Heat's Dwyane Wade backs off compensation for Olympics - ESPN

Wade was quoted Wednesday saying he thinks "guys should be compensated" for playing over the summer and noted the schedule demands of being an Olympian.

To me, that means getting payed for his participation in the olympics. :dunno:

These guy's shouldn't be able to make any money off the Olymipics, period.

He said compensation. So maybe he wants international whores flown in daily. I can't read the man's mind.

Y'all just fishing for reasons to hate on mah man Dwyane. Fact is though, without Dwyane Wade Team USA does not win gold in Beijing. Wade was undoubtedly the MVP of that team.

Y'all just fishing for reasons to hate on mah man Dwyane. Fact is though, without Dwyane Wade Team USA does not win gold in Beijing. Wade was undoubtedly the MVP of that team.

I don't hate Wade. He's got a ring so gotta give him the respect. Its his buddy Lebron we punk out. So funny to see him fall short year after year. If he was that humble kid he once was but now he's arrogant. And without a ring. Can't be cocky without a ring. Can't consider yourself one of the best without a ring. But no biggy for Wade. He's already got a ring.

And what about Kobe and Carmelo in 2008? Wade was great, but I don't think we needed him to win that Gold. We had plenty of talent on any of our past Olympic teams. The ones that bring home gold didn't play as a team. Give credit to Coach K for 2008.

Ray Allen said the same thing a while back. Obviously, what Wade is saying is stupid.

I agree, but the problem with that is its nearly impossible to draw the line between who is and isn't an amateur these days. And even more impossible for the Olympic committee to determine the truth.. Some countries will help hide the truth about certain athletes, while others such as China will have an unfair advantage because their athletes are training is paid for by the state. Athletes with talent and potential are seperated from their parents at a very young age and put in state run training camps with the sole purpose of winning medals at world events.

Forum List

Back