Dwyane Wade thinks NBA players should be paid for playing in Olympics

The way i see it, once you go pro your Olympic days are over.

used to be that way, until the 94' dream team.

usa_basketball_dreamteam1992.jpg

I know, and i think its wrong.

I wouldn't mind going back to college players as long as everyone else does, like I said its not fair to send our kids to the Olympics against NBA professionals like Marc Gasol, Ricky Rubio and Steve Nash, they will get eaten alive.

I agree, but it was cool to see Jordan play with Magic and Bird.

The 92 Dream Team was awesome, they killed everyone by like 60 points.

Yep. kind of embarassing how the U.S. lost a few time recently though.

Well we haven't lost since 2006, only reason that happened cause our best guys weren't playing, plus the rest of the world has caught up a bit, have to give them that kind of credit.

"It's a lot of things you do for the Olympics -- a lot of jerseys you sell. We play the whole summer. I do think guys should be compensated. [...] Unfortunately, it's not there.

I have a better plan that will accomplish the same thing. Any able-bodied American NBA player who declines an invitation to try out for the US Olympic team is fined 2 million dollars by the NBA.

The NBA uses the proceeds to help less well-financed sports, such as weight-lifting, wrestling, etc.

Dream Team members are also fined in a similarly punative way for failing to play up to their ability or for failing to show good sportsmanship or teamwork during the Olympics.

Furthermore, all Dream Team players are required to stay in the Olympic Village, eat and socialize with the other olympians, and generally act as good ambassadors for my country and the game that I love every bit as much as any of them do. If they can't manage that then the NBA can go ahead and levy steep fines on them.

Maybe I'm ranting a bit here, but I'll never forget the pricks of '04 - like Bryant and O'Neal.

"It's a lot of things you do for the Olympics -- a lot of jerseys you sell. We play the whole summer. I do think guys should be compensated. [...] Unfortunately, it's not there.

I have a better plan that will accomplish the same thing. Any able-bodied American NBA player who declines an invitation to try out for the US Olympic team is fined 2 million dollars by the NBA.

The NBA uses the proceeds to help less well-financed sports, such as weight-lifting, wrestling, etc.

Dream Team members are also fined in a similarly punative way for failing to play up to their ability or for failing to show good sportsmanship or teamwork during the Olympics.

Furthermore, all Dream Team players are required to stay in the Olympic Village, eat and socialize with the other olympians, and generally act as good ambassadors for my country and the game that I love every bit as much as any of them do. If they can't manage that then the NBA can go ahead and levy steep fines on them.

Maybe I'm ranting a bit here, but I'll never forget the pricks of '04 - like Bryant and O'Neal.

Please don't remind me, 2004 was a disgrace, nobody wanted to go to the Olympics that year, our best guys all stayed at home.

Ridiculous headline is ridiculous. All Wade is saying is that players whose jerseys are being sold to generate revenue should see some of that revenue. Completely reasonable.

Ridiculous headline is ridiculous. All Wade is saying is that players whose jerseys are being sold to generate revenue should see some of that revenue. Completely reasonable.

I thought they were? the article suggests they get some kind of money.

I thought they were? the article suggests they get some kind of money.

meh

To focus on those issues misses the bigger point: In essence, he is getting paid to play in the Olympics. Nike pays Wade a reported $12 million per year in endorsements. Nike also sponsors USA Basketball. Those jerseys Wade wants a cut from? They're made by Nike. You do the math.

A lot of assumptions here so I'll add one more: I assume Wade knows more about what he's being compensated for than some hack who's putting words in his mouth.

Correct me if I'm wrong. He is suggesting he get compensation, because of his involvement in the Olympics?

If so, my eariler point stands.

Prick Dwayne Wade is a prick. He thinks that the nonprofit USOC is getting too rich off of the names that the multi, mulit-millionaire Dream Team members put on the back of their jerseys?

I believe that every member of the Dream Team should personally donate 1 million dollars to TeamUSA for the absolute privilege and singular honor of being allowed to play for their country. The NBA should simply impose this on them and be done with it.

I looked at the web site and counted 38 sports programs that TeamUSA sponsors for the olympics. This is everything from Archery to Judo. Maybe 3 or 4 make money. If I was so fortunate to be worth untold millions despite the fact that I could barely read or write, I would try to at least be smart enough to shut my mouth and enjoy my success.

Forum List

Back