Dwight D. Eisenhower's 1954 letter to his brother Edgar

Yet this man stepped on states rights and federalized the National Guard.

Yes. He was indeed a rational leader. It's a pity the party can't seem to find his equal today. It is possible the basic problem is that the number of the stupid is no longer negligible.

Indeed... hence we got Obama.. again.

You might well be right there. If the party had not had to deal with the stupid they probably could have put forth a candidate who actually stood for something.

The number of stupid on our far right is indeed not negligible.

We should have beat Obama like a drum, yet our far right wingers screwed us again.

Document #1147; November 8, 1954
To Edgar Newton Eisenhower
Series: EM, AWF, Name Series ; Category: Personal and confidential

The Papers of Dwight David Eisenhower, Volume XV - The Presidency: The Middle Way
Part VI: Crises Abroad, Party Problems at Home; September 1954 to December 1954
Chapter 13: "A new phase of political experience"

Dear Ed:1 I think that such answer as I can give to your letter of November first will be arranged in reverse order--at least I shall comment first on your final paragraph.

You keep harping on the Constitution; I should like to point out that the meaning of the Constitution is what the Supreme Court says it is. Consequently no powers are exercised by the Federal government except where such exercise is approved by the Supreme Court (lawyers) of the land.2

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas.5 Their number is negligible and they are stupid.

Presidential Papers, Doc#1147 Personal and confidential To Edgar Newton Eisenhower, 8 November 1954. In The Papers of Dwight David Eisenhower

Got to love Eisenhower:D

Under Eisenhower, federal spending peaked at 18.8 percent of GDP in fiscal year 1954 and again in fiscal 1959. When Eisenhower left office in fiscal 1961, federal spending was 18.4 percent of GDP--a 9.8 percent drop from when he took office.

Along with Truman, JFK (reluctantly), and LBJ.

Frank, Frank, Frank: tell the whole truth.

You were taught better.

He's the guy that crushed the Democrats final hold on their blacks

Still telling the Big Lie about LBJ

Have you heard of the Internet? Your Goebbels act makes you look silly when the fact is LBJ was a big racist, even by Democrat standards

We should have beat Obama like a drum, yet our far right wingers screwed us again.

You Moderates handed Obama the sword and asked him to second for you in your political sepukku

Adios Jake

This was your high water mark

Oh my GOD.. he was a Republican.. so everything he had as a personal thought, I must have.. I must change my ways and my stance completely... I must do what is against every fiber of common sense that I have

Oh wait..... I am not a Liberal and that is not something Obamalama said.... no need to act like that

Carry on

I like how it is convenient for the current crop of braindead piss drinkers passing themselves off as Republicans these days to wax on about how the Republicans of yesteryear are responsible for all the great civil liberty victories in America.

Nevermind that most of them today wouldn't give a thirsty homosexual a glass of water to save his life, and giggle like schoolgirls as they post a fat black lady talking about her ObamaPhone...

But, lo! Point out something that good old Ike said that stings a little bit and reminds them of just how far astray they have gone, and hey, pay that no mind.

Last edited:
Your lies have been batted around and broken like a pinata, bright eyes, so many times, that you must have a pinata factory.

Along with Truman, JFK (reluctantly), and LBJ.

Frank, Frank, Frank: tell the whole truth.

You were taught better.

He's the guy that crushed the Democrats final hold on their blacks

Still telling the Big Lie about LBJ

Have you heard of the Internet? Your Goebbels act makes you look silly when the fact is LBJ was a big racist, even by Democrat standards

That's why De Mint wised up and resigned?

Your day is over, Frank, in the GOP.

You Moderates handed Obama the sword and asked him to second for you in your political sepukku

Adios Jake

Adios Jake

Jake out liberal rep whoring again

The Papers of Dwight David Eisenhower, Volume XV - The Presidency: The Middle Way

Dear Ed:1 I think that such answer as I can give to your letter of November first will be arranged in reverse order--at least I shall comment first on your final paragraph.

You keep harping on the Constitution; I should like to point out that the meaning of the Constitution is what the Supreme Court says it is. Consequently no powers are exercised by the Federal government except where such exercise is approved by the Supreme Court (lawyers) of the land.2

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas.5 Their number is negligible and they are stupid.

Presidential Papers, Doc#1147 Personal and confidential To Edgar Newton Eisenhower, 8 November 1954. In The Papers of Dwight David Eisenhower

Obviously he was right. Look at what the Democrats did and said to Bush when he suggested an overhall of the entitlements. Funny you didn't mention anything about Eisenhower's efforts for full integration of America. Remember he sent the paratroopers to Little Rock, Arkansas to integrate schools.

Jroc gets it: his days as a neo-con whore influence in the party are over.

Frank is afraid he gets it, too: his days as a libertarian influence in the party are over.

DeMint resigned, four congressmen thrown off committees for being to far right wing crazee economically, and major powerhouses in the Party saying that social values group which is the "party of stupid" has to change or go.

Yeah, you guys can wise up, or you will go: no doubt about it.

Adios Jake

Jake out liberal rep whoring again

Last edited:
Only because he had to, not that he wanted to.

Remember he called Warren's appointment as CJ of SCOTUS his worst appointment.

Obviously he was right. Look at what the Democrats did and said to Bush when he suggested an overhall of the entitlements. Funny you didn't mention anything about Eisenhower's efforts for full integration of America. Remember he sent the paratroopers to Little Rock, Arkansas to integrate schools.

Forum List

Back