Dwight D. Eisenhower's 1954 letter to his brother Edgar

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TruthOut10, Dec 6, 2012.

1. TruthOut10

TruthOut10 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Dwight D. Eisenhower's 1954 letter to his brother Edgar

Document #1147; November 8, 1954
    To Edgar Newton Eisenhower
    Series: EM, AWF, Name Series ; Category: Personal and confidential

The Papers of Dwight David Eisenhower, Volume XV - The Presidency: The Middle Way
    Part VI: Crises Abroad, Party Problems at Home; September 1954 to December 1954
    Chapter 13: "A new phase of political experience"

Dear Ed:1 I think that such answer as I can give to your letter of November first will be arranged in reverse order--at least I shall comment first on your final paragraph.

You keep harping on the Constitution; I should like to point out that the meaning of the Constitution is what the Supreme Court says it is. Consequently no powers are exercised by the Federal government except where such exercise is approved by the Supreme Court (lawyers) of the land.2

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas.5 Their number is negligible and they are stupid.

Presidential Papers, Doc#1147 Personal and confidential To Edgar Newton Eisenhower, 8 November 1954. In The Papers of Dwight David Eisenhower

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Oh my GOD.. he was a Republican.. so everything he had as a personal thought, I must have.. I must change my ways and my stance completely... I must do what is against every fiber of common sense that I have

Oh wait..... I am not a Liberal and that is not something Obamalama said.... no need to act like that

Carry on

3. TruthOut10

TruthOut10 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Now replace H.L. Hunt with the Koch Brothers, add Faux Fake News, Rush and the rest of the right wing loud machine.

So today you have a Republican Party that's in the midst of a full blown civil war. Of course you won't hear this from Faux or other conservatives on radio or t.v. admitting this, new research polling recently released has noted that since the re-election of President Obama 5% of Republicans no longer consider themselves Republicans, while that same 5% now identifies themselves as Democrats.

So now you have 37% of the population self identify themselves as Republicans while 42% identify as Democrats. So keep up all the harsh rhetoric because its only hurting your party and it might be 4 - 8 more years before your see that White House again.

4. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    And back to your BSNBC regular programming

5. beretta304

beretta304 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated. -----the GOP

6. TruthOut10

TruthOut10 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +88
    To the peeps who want to talk shit to me or about me in regards not only to this post of mines, but others and choose to do it via pm.

I think you're straight up pussies, cowards and chickenshit. This is a public board, got something negative to say to me do it on the open board if you're man enough. There is no shame in my game and my posts for the most part deal with facts and the truth.

It's not my problem if you can't handle the truth or recognize the truth. But man up and quit this pussy attack via Pm's.

7. PratchettFan

PratchettFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,706
    That was the Republican party I grew up with and became a member of. They had what I consider to be rational conservatism. I continue to look forward to the days when the old dixiecrats are rejected by both of the parties.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. TruthOut10

TruthOut10 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +88
    This Country is no better served with only one party ruling, at the pace today's Republican Party is going they might find themselves going away as the Whig Party. The extremism, racists views and over the top rhetoric is going to do them in.

You don't change the Constitution or even the State Constitution to exclude certain groups of our society, because of their race, color, gender or sexual preference, but that is what we're witnessing today and all the gerrymandering of Districts across this Country still won't be enough to maintain power.

9. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,033
    Those programs need to be reformed

10. Moonglow

Moonglow Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,518
    Yet this man stepped on states rights and federalized the National Guard.