Dwight D. Eisenhower's 1954 letter to his brother Edgar

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012

Document #1147; November 8, 1954
To Edgar Newton Eisenhower
Series: EM, AWF, Name Series ; Category: Personal and confidential

The Papers of Dwight David Eisenhower, Volume XV - The Presidency: The Middle Way
Part VI: Crises Abroad, Party Problems at Home; September 1954 to December 1954
Chapter 13: "A new phase of political experience"

Dear Ed:1 I think that such answer as I can give to your letter of November first will be arranged in reverse order--at least I shall comment first on your final paragraph.

You keep harping on the Constitution; I should like to point out that the meaning of the Constitution is what the Supreme Court says it is. Consequently no powers are exercised by the Federal government except where such exercise is approved by the Supreme Court (lawyers) of the land.2

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas.5 Their number is negligible and they are stupid.

Presidential Papers, Doc#1147 Personal and confidential To Edgar Newton Eisenhower, 8 November 1954. In The Papers of Dwight David Eisenhower

Oh my GOD.. he was a Republican.. so everything he had as a personal thought, I must have.. I must change my ways and my stance completely... I must do what is against every fiber of common sense that I have

Oh wait..... I am not a Liberal and that is not something Obamalama said.... no need to act like that

Carry on

Now replace H.L. Hunt with the Koch Brothers, add Faux Fake News, Rush and the rest of the right wing loud machine.

So today you have a Republican Party that's in the midst of a full blown civil war. Of course you won't hear this from Faux or other conservatives on radio or t.v. admitting this, new research polling recently released has noted that since the re-election of President Obama 5% of Republicans no longer consider themselves Republicans, while that same 5% now identifies themselves as Democrats.

So now you have 37% of the population self identify themselves as Republicans while 42% identify as Democrats. So keep up all the harsh rhetoric because its only hurting your party and it might be 4 - 8 more years before your see that White House again.

To the peeps who want to talk shit to me or about me in regards not only to this post of mines, but others and choose to do it via pm.

I think you're straight up pussies, cowards and chickenshit. This is a public board, got something negative to say to me do it on the open board if you're man enough. There is no shame in my game and my posts for the most part deal with facts and the truth.

It's not my problem if you can't handle the truth or recognize the truth. But man up and quit this pussy attack via Pm's.

Now replace H.L. Hunt with the Koch Brothers, add Faux Fake News, Rush and the rest of the right wing loud machine.

So today you have a Republican Party that's in the midst of a full blown civil war. Of course you won't hear this from Faux or other conservatives on radio or t.v. admitting this, new research polling recently released has noted that since the re-election of President Obama 5% of Republicans no longer consider themselves Republicans, while that same 5% now identifies themselves as Democrats.

So now you have 37% of the population self identify themselves as Republicans while 42% identify as Democrats. So keep up all the harsh rhetoric because its only hurting your party and it might be 4 - 8 more years before your see that White House again.

That was the Republican party I grew up with and became a member of. They had what I consider to be rational conservatism. I continue to look forward to the days when the old dixiecrats are rejected by both of the parties.

That was the Republican party I grew up with and became a member of. They had what I consider to be rational conservatism. I continue to look forward to the days when the old dixiecrats are rejected by both of the parties.

This Country is no better served with only one party ruling, at the pace today's Republican Party is going they might find themselves going away as the Whig Party. The extremism, racists views and over the top rhetoric is going to do them in.

You don't change the Constitution or even the State Constitution to exclude certain groups of our society, because of their race, color, gender or sexual preference, but that is what we're witnessing today and all the gerrymandering of Districts across this Country still won't be enough to maintain power.

The Papers of Dwight David Eisenhower, Volume XV - The Presidency: The Middle Way

Dear Ed:1 I think that such answer as I can give to your letter of November first will be arranged in reverse order--at least I shall comment first on your final paragraph.

You keep harping on the Constitution; I should like to point out that the meaning of the Constitution is what the Supreme Court says it is. Consequently no powers are exercised by the Federal government except where such exercise is approved by the Supreme Court (lawyers) of the land.2

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas.5 Their number is negligible and they are stupid.

Presidential Papers, Doc#1147 Personal and confidential To Edgar Newton Eisenhower, 8 November 1954. In The Papers of Dwight David Eisenhower

Yet this man stepped on states rights and federalized the National Guard.

The states still pay for Ntl Grd, when deployed as a fighting force on activation the feds pay for the units and supply them.

Yes. He was indeed a rational leader. It's a pity the party can't seem to find his equal today. It is possible the basic problem is that the number of the stupid is no longer negligible.

So the Demorats will go down because they have raid SS as their own personal piggy-bank and now are pulling the wool over their eyes to SS impending insolvency! Why can't Americans or really liberals look far south of the border to Chile for what has become the BEST social security system the world has ever seen. 14 countries have adopted it since. Chile went from another backwater broke Latin American country to rich 1st world nation! Their system doesn't bankrupt the government and creates a 10 fold larger return on their investment.

Second, no Republican EVER (other than Ron Paul) has argued for the ending of SS! Making it solvent and giving a better return on investment, but never ending it. Same with unemployment insurance (in fact they GOP voted a few times to extend it over the last 4 years) or farm subsidies. With labor laws, they are FAR from eliminating them, but in this day in age where regulation is out of control. They want to roll back bad over-broad, costly and over-burdensome regulations with smart regulations!

Right now it costs less to manufacture in America and deliver to American markets then it does to manufacture in China, Germany, Japan, South Korea or Indonesia and deliver to American markets due to raising labor costs in those countries + the high cost of shipping, yet the boom hasn't happened yet! Why is that? It's the over-regulation, the over-burdensome regulation and costly regulation that prevents the manufacturing boom to take place! It should come back, but non-business oriented law-markers prevent it!

Last edited:

Yes. He was indeed a rational leader. It's a pity the party can't seem to find his equal today. It is possible the basic problem is that the number of the stupid is no longer negligible.

or, the parties that get people elected or to run control the type of people that are in the race.

Indeed... hence we got Obama.. again.

Eisenhower could just have been warning us that once takers get control, they will not be stopped until the nation is eaten alive.

Forum List

Back