DVDs, Hollywood’s Profit Source, Are Sagging

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
So far, total DVD sales are down by about 4 percent for the year, with most of that weakness coming in October, according to data compiled by Warner Brothers, the largest distributor of DVDs. The independent tracking service Nielsen VideoScan paints a bleaker picture, reporting a 9 percent drop in overall DVD sales during the third quarter alone and a 22 percent decline in sales of higher-priced new titles, although its data does not include results at Wal-Mart.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/21/business/21dvd.html?_r=2&em

Aw...poor celebs. Should we write them up a bailout plan next?

That's good news. Now let's tax those bastards who make millions of dollars pretending to be something they are not.

I wonder if professional teams could get a buyout. I heard Stephon Marbury is looking to have his contract bought out. Maybe the Government can help him.

Last edited:
I just want to know why famous actors and actresses get to fly around on their private jets, making millions and millions of dollars...while the people who do the REAL work, the sound and set guys, the caterers who provide their food, the people who make sure their costumes are right and the picture looks good...make so much less.

So far, total DVD sales are down by about 4 percent for the year, with most of that weakness coming in October, according to data compiled by Warner Brothers, the largest distributor of DVDs. The independent tracking service Nielsen VideoScan paints a bleaker picture, reporting a 9 percent drop in overall DVD sales during the third quarter alone and a 22 percent decline in sales of higher-priced new titles, although its data does not include results at Wal-Mart.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/21/business/21dvd.html?_r=2&em

Aw...poor celebs. Should we write them up a bailout plan next?

During the depression, people use to go to movies to escape from their misery. Will history repeat itself?

Lately, there hasn't been a whole lot of good movies worth going to the theater for. Unless there's something for the whole family like Iron Man, we'll just get a Netflix DVD.

I just want to know why famous actors and actresses get to fly around on their private jets, making millions and millions of dollars...while the people who do the REAL work, the sound and set guys, the caterers who provide their food, the people who make sure their costumes are right and the picture looks good...make so much less.

They should be taxed differently than the rest of the population. 50% of their income should be redistributed back to the ones who are about to lose their jobs in Michigan.

During the depression, people use to go to movies to escape from their misery. Will history repeat itself?

Lately, there hasn't been a whole lot of good movies worth going to the theater for. Unless there's something for the whole family like Iron Man, we'll just get a Netflix DVD.

Have a Redbox around you... Today's free code for a free rental is: 2MNC92

Redbox.com to find the nearest.

• Banned

I doubt it. Just to take my kids to see Alvin and The Chipmunks, it cost us nearly $45.00 and we all had to share a soda. :tongue:

Heck...we can all go bowling for $ 20.00,Iceskating for $17.00 and even to the zoo or aquarium for around $25.00. Movies are a waste of money to me anymore. Plus, I don't really feel like supporting an industry full of a bunch of elitist snobs who bathe in evian and demand to be surrounded by only green M&M's or peach roses at all times,while preaching to the masses to give til it hurts or conserve etc... Hate to put the M&M sorter out of work but those are the breaks.:cool:

We will rent movies once in awhile,but as you said ..not much coming out of Hollywood worth seeing.

Last edited:
  • Banned
That's good news. Now let's tax those bastards who make millions of dollars pretending to be something they are not.

I wonder if professional teams could get a buyout. I heard Stephon Marbury is looking to have his contract bought out. Maybe the Government can help him.

I remember once listening to Richard Dryfus on a talk show bloviating about the actors strike. Saying something like "American's need us to make them feel". What a hoot... some fake fairy tale script is EXACTLY like real life conflict....NOT. Who is kidding who,actors and actresses are entirely too full of their own self importance.:cuckoo:

New Topics

Forum List

Back