DVD Recorders - Need Tech Help

and how many inputs does the tvga have?

lol, I forgot that one. I was trying to get the comcast/dvd/tv to work then was going to add the TVG back in.

The TVG has one coaxial in, 1rca input, 1 rca output.

Ok, the problem is that TVG only having one rca input. But we can work around that here is what you do. Go to radioshack or walmart and buy one of these

Selectors & switches - Video accessories - RadioShack.com

you will need four sets of rca cables, and here is how you will set it up.

coaxial cable from tv to satelite

do you plan to record from satelite to dvd? if so RCA out of satelite into DVD player

If you do NOT plan to record RCA out of satelite into COMP1 of Switch you just bought

RCA out of DVD into COMP2 on Switch you just bought

RCA out of Wil into COMP3 on Switch you just bought

Now COMP out of Switch you just bought into TVG IN
now RCA out of TVG INTO RCA in on TV, use the top one on back of tv

Now, Turn everything on and tune TV to channel rear 1, it might be rear 2 but it should be rear 1.
Now on Switch you just bought switch it to the first position, or push button if it has push buttons. You SHOULD see sat TV at this point you can control tv and sat with remote.

Switch the Switch to channel two, or again push the button, and you should be ready to watch movies on your dvd player

Tuning to channel 3 should allow you to play the Wii.

The TVG should be fully functional on all channels.

IF any of them don't work you something mixed up in the wiring. Double check to make sure you have out to in and in to out where necessary.

I am about as ditzy as one can get. wth am I doing trying to hook all this up in the basement where son, son who is hard on stuff and things get broken, will be using it?

I put the $40 Sony dvd player in the basement, all hooked up to the TVG. It's playing all his movies, even the ones that are kinda beat/scratched, without any skips or mess ups.

Put the fritzy dvd/vcd recorder in our bedroom, hooked it up to the dta to make sure I could record on it and just ordered a refurbished Magnavox dvd recorder/vcr player unit from J&R. $90. Sweet! That will be going in the bedroom, rather than the basement.

I know, I know . . . . these machines will one day be looked upon as records are because we will all be dvring our hearts out on machines provided by the cable companies, for yet another fee added to the bill. Until then I'm staying old school with the dvd recorders I can find.

Thanks for all your help, Con. Much appreciated!

Last edited:
I am about as ditzy as one can get. wth am I doing trying to hook all this up in the basement where son, son who is hard on stuff and things get broken, will be using it?

I put the $40 Sony dvd player in the basement, all hooked up to the TVG. It's playing all his movies, even the ones that are kinda beat/scratched, without any skips or mess ups.

Put the fritzy dvd/vcd recorder in our bedroom, hooked it up to the dta to make sure I could record on it and just ordered a refurbished Magnavox dvd recorder/vcr player unit from J&R. $90. Sweet! That will be going in the bedroom, rather than the basement.

I know, I know . . . . these machines will one day be looked upon as records are because we will all be dvring our hearts out on machines provided by the cable companies, for yet another fee added to the bill. Until then I'm staying old school with the dvd recorders I can find.

Thanks for all your help, Con. Much appreciated!

anytime.

Forum List

Back