DVD/DTA Problem - HALP

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
We have tv with a dta box and a dvd/vcr combo hooked up to it. All was fine; dvd played, vcr played, all channels worked on the tv. Last week we lost power for about 10 minutes, it came back on, then we lost it again for about 3 hours. When it came back on, the clock on the dvd/vcr was just dashes so I turned on the tv and the dvd player to access the menu to set the clock and all I get is snow. The tv and channels work fine (via the dta); however the dvd player just produces snow.

I didn't change anything cable-wise it's just that the power went out. I just spent about 45 minutes changing all the cables around (thinking maybe that would help) but . . . just snow. Everything is set back to the way it was when I first set it up.

Even though the tv channels work via the dta do I need to 're-activate' the dta in order to get the dvd to work again? That doesn't make sense since the tv and channels work fine. What am I missing? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

I can't because all I get is snow.

I just called Comcast and had them resend the signal -- still snow.

So I disconnected the dta and just have a cable to dvd player to tv hookup. Still snow.

Do dvd players have fuses in them that can pop? Since the player is only 4 years old and was working fine until we lost power I'm wondering if a fuse popped.

My luck, something else popped and the dvd player is fried. Of all things -- it wasn't even turned on (in use; just the clock was on) when we lost power.

It doesn't have to be turned on to be damaged in a lightening storm. Is the DVD player getting power?

Sounds like something shorted out.

But I'm no techno wizard. Just ask Strolling. I just got digital and now I'm afraid to run my dvd, period. The kids are bummed, they have a new dvd they want to see. I'm like, "Watch SPONGEBOB, dammit! We have cable now!"

wait now you cannot even enter the menu on your TV to scan for channels? IF so it sounds like the TV went bad.

I would do this...disconnect all and reconnect one at a time and using the auto program function. Sometimes you have to reset the box by unplugging it from the wall.

I can't because all I get is snow.

I just called Comcast and had them resend the signal -- still snow.

So I disconnected the dta and just have a cable to dvd player to tv hookup. Still snow.

Do dvd players have fuses in them that can pop? Since the player is only 4 years old and was working fine until we lost power I'm wondering if a fuse popped.

My luck, something else popped and the dvd player is fried. Of all things -- it wasn't even turned on (in use; just the clock was on) when we lost power.

Is it snowing for real maybe ?

I have no idea what a DTA is, but your TV has different inputs, your DVD being one of them. DTA being another, probably. Your cable is another. You need to switch the input/output to the DVD from cable...a button on the TV and/or remote...Your DVD might be on an S-Video input or an analog input, depending on how you set it up. If it's all snow when you get into the correct input, try changing the channel on the TV to 03.

Last edited:
Push the menu button on the tv until it comes up to the one that works. You'll have tv, vid 1 vid 2 vid 3. I think on ours it's video 3 that works with the dvd. It reverts to tv when it gets disconnected or the kids do something to it...

We're all pushing buttons and moving cables like crazy. Someone's gonna get zapped.

Zoom ... hate to break it to you, but your player may be fried ... literally ... inside. When power is lost sometimes there's a surge, which has about a 15% chance of frying circuits that are turned on at the time (players don't really turn off). It is possible just the transmitter chip that allows the player to send the signals to your TV was fried, replacement cost about the same as the player itself, so everything will work but it won't be able to send the signals, thus the snow. Try a different player if you have one, if you can get another player to work on it then you will need to take that one to a shop or replace it, depending on budget, availability, etc..

It doesn't have to be turned on to be damaged in a lightening storm. Is the DVD player getting power?

Yup, it's getting power just fine.

Sounds like something shorted out.

But I'm no techno wizard. Just ask Strolling. I just got digital and now I'm afraid to run my dvd, period. The kids are bummed, they have a new dvd they want to see. I'm like, "Watch SPONGEBOB, dammit! We have cable now!"

Why are you afraid to use the dvd player? IMO, cable is overrated. Lots of channels but not necessarily lots to watch!

wait now you cannot even enter the menu on your TV to scan for channels? IF so it sounds like the TV went bad.

I don't have to scan for channels anymore. The DTA (digital transport adapter) gets the signal from Comcast. The tv is fine; channels work. It's the dang dvd player that's giving me a headache.

I would do this...disconnect all and reconnect one at a time and using the auto program function. Sometimes you have to reset the box by unplugging it from the wall.

We did this hoping it would fix the problem. It was a no go.

Is it snowing for real maybe ?

Wait, let me look. . . . . damn, no such luck! :lol:

I have no idea what a DTA is, but your TV has different inputs, your DVD being one of them. DTA being another, probably. Your cable is another. You need to switch the input/output to the DVD from cable...a button on the TV and/or remote...Your DVD might be on an S-Video input or an analog input, depending on how you set it up. If it's all snow when you get into the correct input, try changing the channel on the TV to 03.

Val - DTA is digital transport adapter. We have a Comcast box (the box that has On Demand) in our family room and two dta adapters for other tvs. I just hooked the dta up to the bedroom tv about two months ago mostly because the reception was crap. Have to say, the DTA improved the quality of the picture tons.

We have a basic setup - no RCA cables or S-video cables. It's cable from wall into dta box, then a cable from dta box to dvd player, then a cable from dvd player to tv. Simple. Everything is set to channel 4 (that's what our area uses). I'm beginning to think a fuse blew.

Push the menu button on the tv until it comes up to the one that works. You'll have tv, vid 1 vid 2 vid 3. I think on ours it's video 3 that works with the dvd. It reverts to tv when it gets disconnected or the kids do something to it...

I didn't try this yet. Thanks. I've tried everything I can think of. I'm pissed because the dvd player is only 4 years old. I'll try this suggestion and if it doesn't work, I'm getting out the screw driver and taking the lid off to see if I can tell if it's a fuse.

It's not a huge deal but it bugs me to no end that the dvd player is relatively new and now it doesn't work.

Zoom ... hate to break it to you, but your player may be fried ... literally ... inside. When power is lost sometimes there's a surge, which has about a 15% chance of frying circuits that are turned on at the time (players don't really turn off). It is possible just the transmitter chip that allows the player to send the signals to your TV was fried, replacement cost about the same as the player itself, so everything will work but it won't be able to send the signals, thus the snow. Try a different player if you have one, if you can get another player to work on it then you will need to take that one to a shop or replace it, depending on budget, availability, etc..

K, I was hoping you'd see this thread. Yeah, hubby said the same thing. Of all the electronic things in the house I'm actually glad it was this and not something else.

We just had our computer router literally blow up last week, smoke coming out of the plugged in part and everything. 9 friggin' months old. POS.

I'm going to see if maybe it's just a fuse and if it looks more cooked than that . . . well, Craigslist is my friend. Thanks.

K, I was hoping you'd see this thread. Yeah, hubby said the same thing. Of all the electronic things in the house I'm actually glad it was this and not something else.

We just had our computer router literally blow up last week, smoke coming out of the plugged in part and everything. 9 friggin' months old. POS.

I'm going to see if maybe it's just a fuse and if it looks more cooked than that . . . well, Craigslist is my friend. Thanks.

NP ...

Many parts in electronic devices operate separately from others, they just process signals from the other parts, so it is possible to blow out just one function while the others work just fine. The benefit is that if it's not too old, it's easier to fix, at least that was the theory before they started overhauling everything on a monthly basis. Now if you don't know a good repair shop where you trust the people and they carry old parts, you are often better off just replacing them. My old 95 laptop cost me 300 bucks when I bought it, had to buy a new power supply for it once, cost me 180 bucks because they have to special order them, and that was in 2000.

Hey Zoom, do you live in an old house? I mean like over 20 years old? Your wiring in the house might need to be upgraded I'm thinking. Hope not but that could be the problem. Does your power go out a lot even with little storms, or strong wind? Check powerlines around your house, if tree branches are in contact with the power lines, call the power company and request that they come out and trim them. They do it here all the time. It helps a lot.

I had the same problem with my house, a few outlets are bad, so I don't use them. We should call an electrician out to upgrade but cannot afford that right now so I limit my outlets and the ones that use to cause problems I just don't use them any more. I had router, phone box, DVR, Cable box all go out on me and it was a bad outlet that wasn't grounded or something like that.

Just some food for thought. Good luck.

"Why are you afraid to use the dvd player? IMO, cable is overrated. Lots of channels but not necessarily lots to watch!"

Lol. Apparently you missed the 7-page thread where I couldn't download pics from my camera, then figure out how to post them. I have some strengths, but basic technology isn't among them.

I live in the boonies (120 miles to Walmart) and go without cable for months on end...haven't had it since this spring. I tend to get it in the late (or in this instance, mid) summer and hold onto it through winter...and then let it go in the spring.

Anyway, I just got digital, and the dvd is attached, and I'm terrified that when I use the dvd player I'll lose the digital and everything will implode.

I know. I'm a little out there. Someday I'll go into why I go months and sometimes years at a time without a telephone.

And yes, cable is overrated. I have 100 channels. None are worth shit. We have spongebob all day, but now the kids are growing weary of it.

I want the national geographic channel and tru tv to get forensic files, which used to be on A&E. But those apparently aren't in my package.

And yes, cable is overrated. I have 100 channels. None are worth shit. We have spongebob all day, but now the kids are growing weary of it.

I want the national geographic channel and tru tv to get forensic files, which used to be on A&E. But those apparently aren't in my package.
Allie, Forensic files on tru tv are all repeats, from 2002 to 2007 nothing new so you are not missing anything. National Geo is better but not much...a lot of repeats of everything I noticed...even the History channel are nothing but repeats. I have Direct TV so with all the pay movie channels and not a damn thing is ever on. One night I resorted to watching "Groomer has it" MY GOSH I thought to myself...Bruce Springstiens song was correct "57 channels and nothing on"

Forum List

Back