DVD/DTA Problem - HALP

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Zoom-boing, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,122
    We have tv with a dta box and a dvd/vcr combo hooked up to it. All was fine; dvd played, vcr played, all channels worked on the tv. Last week we lost power for about 10 minutes, it came back on, then we lost it again for about 3 hours. When it came back on, the clock on the dvd/vcr was just dashes so I turned on the tv and the dvd player to access the menu to set the clock and all I get is snow. The tv and channels work fine (via the dta); however the dvd player just produces snow.

I didn't change anything cable-wise it's just that the power went out. I just spent about 45 minutes changing all the cables around (thinking maybe that would help) but . . . just snow. Everything is set back to the way it was when I first set it up.

Even though the tv channels work via the dta do I need to 're-activate' the dta in order to get the dvd to work again? That doesn't make sense since the tv and channels work fine. What am I missing? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

2. Centrism'sVoice

Centrism'sVoice Seceded from USMB

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If your DVD player has any kind of auto-setup feature, you probably need to run that first.

3. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,122
    I can't because all I get is snow.

I just called Comcast and had them resend the signal -- still snow.

So I disconnected the dta and just have a cable to dvd player to tv hookup. Still snow.

Do dvd players have fuses in them that can pop? Since the player is only 4 years old and was working fine until we lost power I'm wondering if a fuse popped.

My luck, something else popped and the dvd player is fried. Of all things -- it wasn't even turned on (in use; just the clock was on) when we lost power.

4. jgbkab

jgbkab Relieved

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    It doesn't have to be turned on to be damaged in a lightening storm. Is the DVD player getting power?

5. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Sounds like something shorted out.

But I'm no techno wizard. Just ask Strolling. I just got digital and now I'm afraid to run my dvd, period. The kids are bummed, they have a new dvd they want to see. I'm like, "Watch SPONGEBOB, dammit! We have cable now!"

6. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    wait now you cannot even enter the menu on your TV to scan for channels? IF so it sounds like the TV went bad.

7. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    I would do this...disconnect all and reconnect one at a time and using the auto program function. Sometimes you have to reset the box by unplugging it from the wall.

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Is it snowing for real maybe ?

9. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    I have no idea what a DTA is, but your TV has different inputs, your DVD being one of them. DTA being another, probably. Your cable is another. You need to switch the input/output to the DVD from cable...a button on the TV and/or remote...Your DVD might be on an S-Video input or an analog input, depending on how you set it up. If it's all snow when you get into the correct input, try changing the channel on the TV to 03.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  10. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Push the menu button on the tv until it comes up to the one that works. You'll have tv, vid 1 vid 2 vid 3. I think on ours it's video 3 that works with the dvd. It reverts to tv when it gets disconnected or the kids do something to it...