Dutch Oil Spill Response Ships Can't Get Approved...

Capitalist

Jeffersonian Liberal
May 22, 2010
Blame the EPA: Dutch Oil Spill Response Ships Could Suck 99% of Oil From Gulf, But Can't Get Approved, Because EPA Demands 99.9985% Purity

And blame the dreamy-headed idealists.
And blame everyone who allowed this to come to pass.

Why does neither the U.S. government nor U.S. energy companies have on hand the cleanup technology available in Europe? Ironically, the superior European technology runs afoul of U.S. environmental rules. The voracious Dutch vessels, for example, continuously suck up vast quantities of oily water, extract most of the oil and then spit overboard vast quantities of nearly oil-free water. Nearly oil-free isn't good enough for the U.S. regulators, who have a standard of 15 parts per million -- if water isn't at least 99.9985% pure, it may not be returned to the Gulf of Mexico. When ships in U.S. waters take in oil-contaminated water, they are forced to store it. As U.S. Coast Guard Admiral Thad Allen, the official in charge of the clean-up operation, explained in a press briefing on June 11, "We have skimmed, to date, about 18 million gallons of oily water--the oil has to be decanted from that [and] our yield is usually somewhere around 10% or 15% on that." In other words, U.S. ships have mostly been removing water from the Gulf, requiring them to make up to 10 times as many trips to storage facilities where they off-load their oil-water mixture, an approach Koops calls "crazy."
The Americans, overwhelmed by the catastrophic consequences of the BP spill, finally relented and took the Dutch up on their offer -- but only partly. Because the U.S. didn't want Dutch ships working the Gulf, the U.S. airlifted the Dutch equipment to the Gulf and then retrofitted it to U.S. vessels. And rather than have experienced Dutch crews immediately operate the oil-skimming equipment, to appease labour unions the U.S. postponed the clean-up operation to allow U.S. crews to be trained.
A catastrophe that could have been averted is now playing out.

Unconscionable. Unconscionable.
I read, two weeks ago, two things I could not comprehend:
1) Kevin Costner's oil-separating machines worked
and
2) Kevin Costner's oil-separating machines still had to be cleared by the EPA for use
What? What?
Now I understand: These machines work (and the Dutch machines), but as neither offers the 99.9% purity the EPA demands, it's better to let the coasts be destroyed and the fish killed for a generation.
Note: I am guestimating the 99% figure. The article doesn't specify how clean the Dutch vehicles scrub the oil. I think 99% sounds about ballpark, given that the article says "nearly oil-free."
Can It Get Worse? Just maybe it can.
Posted by Ace at 07:49 PM

Damn, that really sucks for you guys. The one environmental regulation which is more stringent in the US than in Europe just HAD to be this one. At this point, they oughtta just take whatever's available.

I mean, the DUTCH, for chrissakes? Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but dang, one would think they have pretty good ones. AOIDShAPsdoai

And yet, there are currently two Dutch skimmers working in the Gulf and six or seven Norwegian ones.

:eek:

More disinformation from the rightwing loons.

Did you know Obama is actually a Kenyan?

And yet, there are currently two Dutch skimmers working in the Gulf and six or seven Norwegian ones.

:eek:

More disinformation from the rightwing loons.

Did you know Obama is actually a Kenyan?

He is?
Well what are you going to do about it.:doubt:
He could waive or suspend EPA Regulations.

Last edited:
Blame the EPA: Dutch Oil Spill Response Ships Could Suck 99% of Oil From Gulf, But Can't Get Approved, Because EPA Demands 99.9985% Purity

This where real leadership should come into play. I guess for .9985% we will allow XX.x% (pick a number), to wash up on the beaches and pollute the rest of the Gulf and all points everywhere, Brilliant!! :clap2:

Damn, that really sucks for you guys. The one environmental regulation which is more stringent in the US than in Europe just HAD to be this one. At this point, they oughtta just take whatever's available.

I mean, the DUTCH, for chrissakes? Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but dang, one would think they have pretty good ones. AOIDShAPsdoai

Um the Dutch are widely considered to be some of the most experienced people on earth with a situation like this.

The fact they cant get approved shows 2 things. First that government bureaucracy sucks ass, and second that Obama is failing again because he could cut through this BS red tape if he so chose.

Last edited:
This where real leadership should come into play. I guess for .9985% we will allow XX.x% (pick a number), to wash up on the beaches and pollute the rest of the Gulf and all points everywhere, Brilliant!! :clap2:

The OP is false. If it were true, this would not be happening:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/123195-american-ingenuity.html#post2462782

Um the Dutch are widely considered to be some of the most experienced people on earth with a situation like this.

The fact they cant get approved shows 2 things. First that government bureaucracy sucks ass, and second that Obama is failing again because he could cut through this BS red tape if he so chose.

The Dutch have experience with smaller spills, not spills this large and Obama has approved EVERY offer of free assistance that has come from foreigners

Agitprop Alert: The Jones Act and the Oil Spill - Politics - The Atlantic

The agitprop: "Why is Obama letting his cozy relationship with labor unions keep the Dutch from sending oil skimmers to the Gulf? You know that he hasn't waived the Jones Act. During Katrina, President Bush waived the act immediately."

What it means: The Dutch know how to cap oil spills, but Obama refuses to let them help because organized labor would be mad at him. The law prohibiting foreign ships from operating off American soil can be waived, but Obama refuses to do so because he's in thrall to the labor unions.

The media: The assertion has been debunked yet is still alive, ubiquitous on Fox News and GOP radio and present in an exchange on Meet the Press this weekend.

The truth: Not a single government that has offered its assets for free has been refused by the U.S. ... The government, on Obama's orders, is moving to quickly streamline the complicated procedures for waiving the Jones Act, which only applies to ships within three miles off the coast. The Coast Guard says that no one has asked them to waive the Jones Act yet. ... Most of the containment and assistance offers wouldn't apply, because ships would be well outside the three-mile threshold, or because they fall into a category of ships with a specific purpose, like oil skimmers. They're already exempt.

So where are the Dutch ships, the Norwegian ships, the Belgian ships? For one thing, we're using Norweigian skimmers. The Dutch have experience with much smaller spills, and their expertise isn't as pertinent. For another, Dutch engineers ARE consulting with the U.S. government. Finally, it's worth noting that many foreign offers of help have been conditional -- that is: "We'll sell you these supplies at this cost." Mexico has offered assistance for free, and the U.S is using it. 15 foreign countries have signed reciprocity agreements with the U.S. and are helping with the clean-up effort.

Someone should tell Obama that we need to deploy the skimmers ASAP because in addition to soaking up oil, they keep racist white po-leecemen away from Black College professors

Bush failed to react at all in Katrina. Obama reacted to slow on this because he was given erronious information by BP during the first week of the spill, and poor information for the next three weeks.

I hope that the President takes this lesson to heart and never trusts another energy corperation again.

We need some very heavy handed regulation on this industry. Just one mistake can create an enormous catastrophe, and we have seen from this disaster that they cannot be trusted. A bogus disaster plan shared among the major producers to the point of all of them listing Walruses in the Gulf, and putting the phone number of a scientist that had been dead for five years as someone to be contacted in an emergency.

It's kind of funny, but not really, that even when something has been debunked the rightwingloons don't admit it...in fact they just keep repeating the same things over and over and over again.

Bush failed to react at all in Katrina. Obama reacted to slow on this because he was given erronious information by BP during the first week of the spill, and poor information for the next three weeks.

I hope that the President takes this lesson to heart and never trusts another energy corperation again.

We need some very heavy handed regulation on this industry. Just one mistake can create an enormous catastrophe, and we have seen from this disaster that they cannot be trusted. A bogus disaster plan shared among the major producers to the point of all of them listing Walruses in the Gulf, and putting the phone number of a scientist that had been dead for five years as someone to be contacted in an emergency.

Next time, try throwing in a fact or two so you're not such a moron.

Gov. Blanco had to ask for Bush to step in and she delayed for days to make the request despite repeated suggestion that she do exactly that.

Moron.

Yeah... I know. I wasn't being sarcastic. pAOSJd[sapkdS

Next time, try throwing in a fact or two so you're not such a moron.

Gov. Blanco had to ask for Bush to step in and she delayed for days to make the request despite repeated suggestion that she do exactly that.

Moron.

Liar
Think Progress KATRINA TIMELINE

Saturday, August 27

GOV. HALEY BARBOUR DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY IN MISSISSIPPI [Office of the Governor]

5AM CDT — KATRINA UPGRADED TO CATEGORY 3 HURRICANE [CNN]

GOV. BLANCO ASKS BUSH TO DECLARE FEDERAL STATE OF EMERGENCY IN LOUISIANA: “I have determined that this incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and affected local governments, and that supplementary Federal assistance is necessary to save lives, protect property, public health, and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a disaster.” [Office of the Governor]

FEDERAL EMERGENCY DECLARED, DHS AND FEMA GIVEN FULL AUTHORITY TO RESPOND TO KATRINA: “Specifically, FEMA is authorized to identify, mobilize, and provide at its discretion, equipment and resources necessary to alleviate the impacts of the emergency.” [White House]

Blanco requested assistance before Katrina reached LA

Sunday, August 28

LOUISIANA NATIONAL GUARD REQUESTS 700 BUSES FROM FEMA FOR EVACUATIONS: FEMA sends only 100 buses. [Boston Globe]

Monday, August 29
MORNING — BUSH SHARES BIRTHDAY CAKE PHOTO-OP WITH SEN. JOHN MCCAIN [White House]11AM CDT — MICHAEL BROWN FINALLY REQUESTS THAT DHS DISPATCH 1,000 EMPLOYEES TO REGION, GIVES THEM TWO DAYS TO ARRIVE: “Brown’s memo to Chertoff described Katrina as ‘this near catastrophic event’ but otherwise lacked any urgent language. The memo politely ended, ‘Thank you for your consideration in helping us to meet our responsibilities.’” [AP]
LATE MORNING — LEVEE BREACHED: “A large section of the vital 17th Street Canal levee, where it connects to the brand new ‘hurricane proof’ Old Hammond Highway bridge, gave way late Monday morning in Bucktown after Katrina’s fiercest winds were well north.” [Times-Picayune]
11AM CDT — BUSH VISITS ARIZONA RESORT TO PROMOTE MEDICARE DRUG BENEFIT: “This new bill I signed says, if you’re a senior and you like the way things are today, you’re in good shape, don’t change. But, by the way, there’s a lot of different options for you. And we’re here to talk about what that means to our seniors.” [White House]
4:30PM CDT — BUSH TRAVELS TO CALIFORNIA SENIOR CENTER TO DISCUSS MEDICARE DRUG BENEFIT: “We’ve got some folks up here who are concerned about their Social Security or Medicare. Joan Geist is with us. … I could tell — she was looking at me when I first walked in the room to meet her, she was wondering whether or not old George W. is going to take away her Social Security check.” [White House]
8PM CDT — RUMSFELD ATTENDS SAN DIEGO PADRES BASEBALL GAME: Rumsfeld “joined Padres President John Moores in the owner’s box…at Petco Park.” [Editor & Publisher]
8PM CDT — GOV. BLANCO AGAIN REQUESTS ASSISTANCE FROM BUSH: “Mr. President, we need your help. We need everything you’ve got.” [Newsweek]
LATE PM — BUSH GOES TO BED WITHOUT ACTING ON BLANCO’S REQUESTS [Newsweek

Tuesday, August 30
2PM CDT — PRESIDENT BUSH PLAYS GUITAR WITH COUNTRY SINGER MARK WILLIS [AP]
BUSH RETURNS TO CRAWFORD FOR FINAL NIGHT OF VACATION [AP]

Wednesday, August 31
PRESIDENT BUSH FINALLY ORGANIZES TASK FORCE TO COORDINATE FEDERAL RESPONSE: Bush says on Tuesday he will “fly to Washington to begin work…with a task force that will coordinate the work of 14 federal agencies involved in the relief effort.” [New York Times, 8/31/05]

EARLY AM — BLANCO AGAIN TRIES TO REQUEST HELP FROM BUSH: “She was transferred around the White House for a while until she ended up on the phone with Fran Townsend, the president’s Homeland Security adviser, who tried to reassure her but did not have many specifics. Hours later, Blanco called back and insisted on speaking to the president. When he came on the line, the governor recalled, “I just asked him for help, ‘whatever you have’.” She asked for 40,000 troops.” [Newsweek]

Thursday, September 1

CONDOLEEZZA RICE GOES SHOE SHOPPING: “Just moments ago at the Ferragamo on 5th Avenue, Condoleeza Rice was seen spending several thousands of dollars on some nice, new shoes (we’ve confirmed this, so her new heels will surely get coverage from the WaPo’s Robin Givhan). A fellow shopper, unable to fathom the absurdity of Rice’s timing, went up to the Secretary and reportedly shouted, ‘How dare you shop for shoes while thousands are dying and homeless!’” [Gawker]

Friday, September 2

ROVE-LED CAMPAIGN TO BLAME LOCAL OFFICIALS BEGINS: “Under the command of President Bush’s two senior political advisers, the White House rolled out a plan…to contain the political damage from the administration’s response to Hurricane Katrina.” President Bush’s comments from the Rose Garden Friday morning formed “the start of this campaign.” [New York Times, 9/5/05]

10 AM CDT — PRESIDENT BUSH STAGES PHOTO-OP “BRIEFING”: Coast Guard helicopters and crew diverted to act as backdrop for President Bush’s photo-op

10:35AM CDT — BUSH PRAISES MICHAEL BROWN: “Brownie, you’re doing a heck of a job.” [White House, 9/2/05]

BUSH USES 50 FIREFIGHTERS AS PROPS IN DISASTER AREA PHOTO-OP: A group of 1,000 firefighters convened in Atlanta to volunteer with the Katrina relief efforts. Of those, “a team of 50 Monday morning quickly was ushered onto a flight headed for Louisiana. The crew’s first assignment: to stand beside President Bush as he tours devastated areas.” [Salt Lake Tribune; Reuters]
12PM CDT — BUSH “SATISFIED WITH THE RESPONSE”: “I am satisfied with the response. I am not satisfied with all the results.” [AP]
PM — FEMA’S NO. 2 OFFICIAL “IMPRESSED” WITH GOVERNMENT RESPONSE: “I am actually very impressed with the mobilization of man and machine to help our friends in this unfortunate area….I think it’s one of the most impressive search-and-rescue operations this country has ever conducted domestically.” [Time]
BUSH COMMENTS ON SEN. TRENT LOTT’S HOUSE: “Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott’s house — he’s lost his entire house — there’s going to be a fantastic house. And I’m looking forward to sitting on the porch.” Time called the remarks “astonishingly tone-deaf to the homeless black citizens still trapped in the postapocalyptic water world of New Orleans.” [White House; Time]
CONGRESS APPROVES INITIAL FUNDING: Congress quickly approves $10.5 billion in initial aid for rescue and relief efforts. [AP, 9/4/05]

Saturday, September 3

SENIOR BUSH ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL LIES TO WASHINGTON POST, CLAIMS GOV. BLANCO NEVER DECLARED STATE OF EMERGENCY: The Post reported in their Sunday edition “As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said.” They were forced to issue a correction hours later. [Washington Post, 9/4/05]

9AM CDT — BUSH BLAMES STATE AND LOCAL OFFICIALS: “[T]he magnitude of responding to a crisis over a disaster area that is larger than the size of Great Britain has created tremendous problems that have strained state and local capabilities. The result is that many of our citizens simply are not getting the help they need.” [White House, 9/3/05]

Monday, September 5

FORMER FIRST LADY PATRONIZES POOR REFUGEES: Former First Lady Barbara Bush says, “Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them.” [American Public Media, 9/5/05

Tuesday, September 13

BUSH TAKES RESPONSIBILITY FOR FLAWED RESPONSE: “Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government,” Mr. Bush said. “And to the extent that the federal government didn’t fully do its job right, I take responsibility.” [New York Times, 9/13/05]

Forum List

Back