Dutch building floating homes

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
3543.jpg

After reading the article, I’m torn as to whether or not this is a good idea.

How are the communities governed?

Who provides the utilities?

I see solar panels but what about power when there’s no sun?

How about all the services that comprise a community? Schools, churches, shops, restaurants, and other businesses?

The most tried and tested way to build in flood-risk areas is to lift the house off the ground. Humans have been building homes on stilts for millennia, and this technique is still popular in south-east Asia, Central America and Brazil.

More modern techniques include building on a raised platform like a beach house – a familiar sight in my wife’s native Australia – or simply on banks of earth or concrete. Of course this approach requires an element of second guessing: you need to build the accommodation above the level any floodwater will reach.

But the latest technology solves this problem: houses that float and rise with the floodwaters.

There’s a lot more to the article and a Google Search provides some amazing pictures of such homes.

More
@ How to build a climate-proof home that never floods

3543.jpg

After reading the article, I’m torn as to whether or not this is a good idea.

How are the communities governed?

Who provides the utilities?

I see solar panels but what about power when there’s no sun?

How about all the services that comprise a community? Schools, churches, shops, restaurants, and other businesses?

The most tried and tested way to build in flood-risk areas is to lift the house off the ground. Humans have been building homes on stilts for millennia, and this technique is still popular in south-east Asia, Central America and Brazil.

More modern techniques include building on a raised platform like a beach house – a familiar sight in my wife’s native Australia – or simply on banks of earth or concrete. Of course this approach requires an element of second guessing: you need to build the accommodation above the level any floodwater will reach.

But the latest technology solves this problem: houses that float and rise with the floodwaters.

There’s a lot more to the article and a Google Search provides some amazing pictures of such homes.

More
@ How to build a climate-proof home that never floods
see solar panels but what about power when there’s no sun?

Auxiliary power?

Given that 1/3 of the land in Holland is below sea level ... having a house that floats seems like a really good idea.

Forum List

Back