Durable goods orders are collapsing.

Neubarth

At the Ballpark July 30th
Nov 8, 2008
South Pacific
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Orders to U.S. factories for big-ticket manufactured goods increased slightly in July, but businesses spent less as the economic recovery lost momentum.

Demand for durable goods rose 0.3 percent last month, the Commerce Department said Wednesday. The overall increase was driven by a 75.9 percent increase in orders for commercial airplanes.

Without the volatile transportation sector, orders dropped 3.8 percent -- the steepest decline since January. Businesses spent less on equipment and machines. Orders for capital goods fell 8.0 percent.

Machinery and computers were especially hard-hit. Orders for machinery dropped 15 percent, the biggest decline on record for that category.

The report was grim compared to June's results. Overall orders in June declined by a revised 1.0 percent. But excluding transportation, orders rose 0.2 percent.

so growing slowly is collapsing when your out of power. OK got it.

Not so. when one item is up and ninety items are down there is a problem brewing. It matters not that the one item which is subject to huge fluctuations (because it is such a high ticket item) was up. What matters is the direction of most of the purchases.

Durable goods are not being purchased. If this continues, people in those manufacturing jobs will start losing their jobs. You can not have a recovery if that happens.

Thanks-Neubarth.jpg

Collapsing?...umm no....stagnant to creeping downward - yes.
This coupled with crappy semi-conductor orders points to a pretty lousy job market now through December.

I think the economy is beginning to contract again.

It never grew in the first place.
What it did do was temporarily expand in a predictable way to enormous bailouts and stimulus handouts. When that ran out, the contraction continues.

Worms eye view from the factory floor of a steel mill. 2nd quarter this year was a good one. 3rd quarter also good for my division. However, the other divisions have seen a slowdown of orders. At present we have enough orders to carry us through November on regular time shifts. The last three weeks producton has been working 72 hour weeks due to unexpected orders related to construction.

In the meantime, they have finally accepted that fact that I am a short timer, and are giving me millwrights to train to famialarize them with the mill. How much longer I will work there depends on the ability to sell my properties. Not a good prospect at present.

so growing slowly is collapsing when your out of power. OK got it.
I see... and 4% growth is worst economy in 75 years when you're out of power. Nice double standard there. Oh wait! That's right, you're a lib. You depend on the double standard.

Not to mention 4% unemployment... horrible jobs market

Deficit of less than 300 billion, debt crisis.

The fuck you think you're selling, sunshine?

I'm selling you assclowns a worse defeat than you bought yourselves last time.
All you clowns have is someone Mcain thrashed before he got thrashed.
Yes this economy should have a republican outpolling Obama by 20%.

Find me one that is outpolling him by 5%, and if you think the economy won't be better in 11 or 12 then I know your poor.

I'm selling you assclowns a worse defeat than you bought yourselves last time.
All you clowns have is someone Mcain thrashed before he got thrashed.
Yes this economy should have a republican outpolling Obama by 20%.

Find me one that is outpolling him by 5%, and if you think the economy won't be better in 11 or 12 then I know your poor.
considering the near total blackout or at least minimization of bad news for the DNC on the major networks foolishly trusted by average people (There are no average people here, we're all policy/news junkies), this should be scary news, because with all the pimping of "recoveryObamaisgodrecovery" at a frenetic pace...

There shouldn't be a bit of worry from the DNC. And whatever worry you DID have, should have been paid off by TARP money by now by that bunch of fucking crooks. Just imagine if you had more to worry about than Talk Radio and Fox News Channel pushing out something other than progressofascist propaganda.

And I notice how you never addressed my exposure of your hypocrisy there, sunshine. Huh... whatta surprise.

The stimulus did cause the double dip. It caused a blip of false growth which would not last without continued stimulus spending.

Was it better than continued recession though?

The stimulus did cause the double dip. It caused a blip of false growth which would not last without continued stimulus spending.

Was it better than continued recession though?

The stimulus did a little more than just prolong the inevitable. It helped create a deficit that is turning out to be more deadly than just a garden variety Great Recession.

Ask the PIIGS, or ask the Japs.

"Was it better" is a toughish call. And a truly good question.

I can't know that answer cuz you never get to test the future with two moves.

But I highly expect future economists to be saying that had Obama waited until the economy reached bottom, the stimulus would have had a better chance at succeeding.

There simply wasn't enough juice to overcome a correction that wouldn't take no for an answer, and perhaps no amount of stimulus would have done anything more than stall said correction.

An easy example: the RE bubble had to pop and reach bottom before any intervention could help it recover.

Forum List

Back