CDZ Dunning-Kruger looks like self-assessment tending towards average

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
Fake Duning-Kruger chart:

th

Actual Dunning-Kruger chart:

This is what the actual example of "perceived vs. actual logical reasoning ability" Dunning-Kruger chart suggests to me. I see no inverse relationship between competency and self-perceived competency, which is what the myth espouses. As people's competency rises, their self-assessment TENDS to rise as well. People who are below average don't like to see themselves as below average, and tend to view themselves as average. People who are above average tend to modestly rate themselves as average because they don't want to be arrogant.

Actual Dunning-Kruger chart (perceived vs. tested logical reasoning ability)

That looks nothing like the silly internet chart you always see. Fake chart that is nothing more than an appeal to authority:

The Real Dunning-Kruger Graph

This guy gives a pretty good breakdown in the following video and in one of his videos talks about a Geologist and a group of Mathematicians debunking the whole thing.

I see no inverse relationship between competency and self-perceived competency, which is what the myth espouses. As people's competency rises, their self-assessment TENDS to rise as well. People who are below average don't like to see themselves as below average, and tend to view themselves as average. People who are above average tend to modestly rate themselves as average because they don't want to be arrogant.

Actually, your chart shows a strong negative correlation between actual competency and relative self-perception of that competency. Psychological excuses notwithstanding, people in the lower quartiles overestimate their actual competence to a much great extent than those in the upper quartiles.

I see no inverse relationship between competency and self-perceived competency, which is what the myth espouses. As people's competency rises, their self-assessment TENDS to rise as well. People who are below average don't like to see themselves as below average, and tend to view themselves as average. People who are above average tend to modestly rate themselves as average because they don't want to be arrogant.

Actually, your chart shows a strong negative correlation between actual competency and relative self-perception of that competency. Psychological excuses notwithstanding, people in the lower quartiles overestimate their actual competence to a much great extent than those in the upper quartiles.

People in the lower quartiles CAN by definition overrate themselves by more than they can underrate themselves. They have no room for under-assessment, they're already at the bottom. Mathematicians have produced a similar effect with random data.

Additionally, look closer at who gave those answers. They asked college students at an Ivy League college to rate their own logical reasoning ability. Shockingly, none of them rated themselves as below average in terms of logical reasoning ability.

Forum List

Back