Dunkirk

After 33, the Nazis did a lot of shit.

The Germans did a lot of shit.
Everyone did, everyone. We Germans are not committed to conquest and murder.

I will agree that war is evil, and both sides have some who engaged in cruel actions. Again, as we see today in the alt-left arguments against American accidental bombings of civilians; it's not a moral equivalency.

For example. The Germans started the entire war, lead by a Madman. I won't blame the average German who lived on a farm somewhere for German conquest, but I certainly can blame your leaders and in general, German passion for a revenge of some sort after the French and British imposed reparation Treaties after WWI. It translated into a rabid desire for payback.

Recall that the Germans bombed the city of London for nearly three months, in an attempt to break the Will of the British. This was a direct attack on civilian population and city infrastructure. In some cases, nearly 1000 German planes were in the skies over Britain.

Furthermore, the Resistance Forces in France in particular, sacrificed a great deal and it is often overlooked in history because the French were defeated so quickly when the Blitz came. The British were outnumbered 3 to 1 in the air but the RAF bravely fought on in defense of their country, often in run down, unsafe planes. All of this, much to the chagrin of German leaders.

I will agree that war is evil, and both sides have some who engaged in cruel actions. Again, as we see today in the alt-left arguments against American accidental bombings of civilians; it's not a moral equivalency.
There was intentional mass murder of the German population by bombings. The most blame take the Brits in that bombings. The American bombers mostly came by day and targeted factories and infrastructure. The Brits came at night and bombed the residential buildings. While the US bombings certainly caused a large number of civilian casualties, British bombings were exclusively targeting civilians.

"We were flying at 6,000 feet which was the minimum height to drop the 4,000 pounder. We dropped it in the middle of town [Koblenz], which gave the aircraft a hell of a belt, lifted it up and blew an escape hatch from out of the top."
Blockbuster bomb - Wikipedia

For example. The Germans started the entire war, lead by a Madman. I won't blame the average German who lived on a farm somewhere for German conquest, but I certainly can blame your leaders and in general, German passion for a revenge of some sort after the French and British imposed reparation Treaties after WWI. It translated into a rabid desire for payback.
- The Germans did not start the entire war.
- The Versailles Treaty gravely affected the sovereignty of Germany not only in regard to the military.

Recall that the Germans bombed the city of London for nearly three months, in an attempt to break the Will of the British. This was a direct attack on civilian population and city infrastructure. In some cases, nearly 1000 German planes were in the skies over Britain.
It was Hitler´s stupid reaction to Churchill´s sinister plan. Actually, there was a strict ban to bomb London. When Churchill realized he is losing and his airfields are about to completely come off, he decided to bomb Berlin to make Hitler bomb London and Hitler bombed London for six weeks and the airfields could be enabled. The result of the German bombing of London, however, is on a completely different level than the bombings of German cities. Strange is that although we have 24/7 WWII on almost all German TV broadcasters none of the documentations is about the bombings of German cities, except when it is about to further "round down" the civilian casualties of Dresden. I wonder when it will be declared a natural disaster and finally vanish from history.

Furthermore, the Resistance Forces in France in particular, sacrificed a great deal and it is often overlooked in history because the French were defeated so quickly when the Blitz came. The British were outnumbered 3 to 1 in the air but the RAF bravely fought on in defense of their country, often in run down, unsafe planes. All of this, much to the chagrin of German leaders.
At the time, France was considered to be the military strongest nation on earth. They even had heavy tanks with 75 mm canons.

Last edited:
Everyone likes the "just following orders" argument; salves the spirit and absolves the soul. But an individual is responsible for his/her acts, and turning oneself into an automaton is not enough to excuse. That the Wehrmacht conducted large scale murder of civilians makes it part and parcel of Nazi action.
Of course, the same applies elsewhere, and America has its own atrocities that are only different in scale. So does any other 'great power'.

France was 'defeated so quickly' because they agreed to British defensive plans that left its entire army outflanked and unable to defend the capitol. Otherwise configured and led, it might have lasted longer. Better yet would have been a drive on Berlin starting about Sept 5, 1939 (not the lukewarm Saar advance), when the maximum German concentration was far to the east.

Last edited:
I wasn't impressed at all. The story lines were weak, the dialogue wasn't impressive and there was no character development. Everyone thinks best movie of all time and I just don't see it.

Was it worth paying to watch on the big screen all the same?

I wasn't impressed at all. The story lines were weak, the dialogue wasn't impressive and there was no character development. Everyone thinks best movie of all time and I just don't see it.

Was it worth paying to watch on the big screen all the same?

In my opinion no. The movie just didn't resonate with me. The characters, stories, even the fighting scenes were underwhelming.

Ultimately, the war ended with a satisfactory result. It's a shame that many decent people had to die to bring German aggression under control.
Hoho, while enabling and rewarding Russian aggression.

The situation didn´t allow the escapees to "die bravely".

Actually, hundreds of British and French died fighting a desperate rear guard actions to delay the German advance and give the British 8 days to evacuate 320,000 British soldiers.

None of this was depicted in the film.
I figured out that it is not in the movie because it is not true. Another hero tale with no reference to reality. In fact, Hitler ordered the halt of the German troops to spare the Brits the shame and in hope for a peaceful solution.

Forum List

Back