Dump Big Oil STOCKS

gipper

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2011
Doug Casey says with the increase in EVs, there will be a glut of oil driving down prices. I hope he’s right, since I have no intention of owning an EV or oil stocks.

Doug: Almost all gasoline is used for vehicles. In fact, something like 75% of oil production is used for transportation. So, this will put a cap on petroleum prices. There’s going to be a glut of oil. Petroleum’s main use is basically going to be a feed stock for plastics and things of that nature. It’s going to collapse the production, if not the prices, of corn, palm oil, and perhaps sugar as well, because so much of those crops are – idiotically – used as biofuels.

Based on that, it doesn’t make any sense to own an oil company for the long-term.

The bottom line is that the whole world is going electric. Fossil fuels are no longer going to be fuels. They’re going to be basically feed stocks – primarily plastics, fertilizers, chemicals, lubricants, and the like. The demand for gasoline and diesel – which is the vast majority of oil usage – is going way down.
Doug Casey on Electric and Self-Driving Vehicles, Part II - Casey Research

Doug Casey says with the increase in EVs, there will be a glut of oil driving down prices. I hope he’s right, since I have no intention of owning an EV or oil stocks.

Doug: Almost all gasoline is used for vehicles. In fact, something like 75% of oil production is used for transportation. So, this will put a cap on petroleum prices. There’s going to be a glut of oil. Petroleum’s main use is basically going to be a feed stock for plastics and things of that nature. It’s going to collapse the production, if not the prices, of corn, palm oil, and perhaps sugar as well, because so much of those crops are – idiotically – used as biofuels.

Based on that, it doesn’t make any sense to own an oil company for the long-term.

The bottom line is that the whole world is going electric. Fossil fuels are no longer going to be fuels. They’re going to be basically feed stocks – primarily plastics, fertilizers, chemicals, lubricants, and the like. The demand for gasoline and diesel – which is the vast majority of oil usage – is going way down.

Doug Casey says with the increase in EVs, there will be a glut of oil driving down prices

360,000 EV sales in the US last year.
17,000,000 total.
2% of sales isn't going to cause a huge decrease in oil consumption.

The bottom line is that the whole world is going electric.

Unless we're using nuclear to charge those EVs, we'll still be using coal and nat gas.

Doug Casey says with the increase in EVs, there will be a glut of oil driving down prices

17,000,000 total.

Unless we're using nuclear to charge those EVs, we'll still be using coal and nat gas.
Casey is talking about future trends. Not the present.

Dump big oil for what?...
I meant dump big oil stocks. If Casey is correct and EVs take off, obviously gas prices will fall and so will the value of oil stocks.
Energy stocks are too volatile...
Agreed but if Casey is right, big oil stocks are going the way of the buggy whip.
Not in our lifetime...air travel doubles in growth every year....more and more people are born each day...people live longer....we will never replace oil with the sun and wind alone....

I doubt it. Even people who own EVs, usually also own a gas car. Further, with as many as there are.... there are very few.

It is highly unlikely that the rise in the number of EVs.... at least in the foreseeable future, will never offset the natural increase in demand for oil.

I'm all for it though. By all means, make oil cheaper so I can afford that sports car I've always wanted.

EV's have to be charged somewhere...with something...you all realize that I hope...space launches and research will increase...you can't do that without petro....

Right. Just as soon as all the subsidies on electric cars dries up, electric cars die.
Tell all the electric car owners effected by this blackout how smart they are.

Right. Just as soon as all the subsidies on electric cars dries up, electric cars die.
Tell all the electric car owners effected by this blackout how smart they are.
Yeah I tend to doubt EVs will make it big, but Casey is a pretty smart guy. So who knows?

At any rate, I would love to see diesel prices come way down. My 45k pound motorhome uses a lot of diesel.

Yea we need a nuclear power plant in every garage charging the Tesla.

PS. You don't own any stocks to sell kid

17,000,000 total.

Casey is talking about future trends. Not the present.

Dump oil stocks, today, because in 30 years EVs will finally have an impact on fossil fuels? LOL!

Two problems with what your saying , gip.

One , fuel is need to generate electricity. It will be a long time before solar and wind can create enough juice for the world's needs.

Two, gasoline cars are a lot less expensive, and their usage is growing in place like India and Red China, in the developing world. Maybe a lot more people will be driving electric cars in America. But it could be different elsewhere.

Two problems with what your saying , gip.

One , fuel is need to generate electricity. It will be a long time before solar and wind can create enough juice for the world's needs.

Two, gasoline cars are a lot less expensive, and their usage is growing in place like India and Red China, in the developing world. Maybe a lot more people will be driving electric cars in America. But it could be different elsewhere.
And make sure the electric cars are not using grease in their bearings

Forum List

Back