Dumb Question

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
I know I'm annoyingly behind the times technology wise, so I apologize upfront, but what is a robot and what are 233 of them doing in our threads?

You are all good lady. As there are no dumb questions, just dumb people :D

Last edited:
I know I'm annoyingly behind the times technology wise, so I apologize upfront, but what is a robot and what are 233 of them doing in our threads?

Information gatherers, search bots

Googlebot - A guide to the Google webcrawler
Thanks. I read your link; I'm just that stupid, though, that I'm still not sure what they do.
You tried.

Try this, it's more simple in the terms

How does a Web Crawler work? | Wp Themes Planet

You are all good lady. As there are no dumb questions, just dumb people :D
Does it read individual posts or does it look at thread titles or scan the search terms or what? I do understand what the Google Index is, I think. That's how I fell into this rabbit hole, researching gun legislation pro/con for a student at the jail. One of 2AGuy's threads came up on about page 3 of the results of a Google search. I had never done social media at all--not even Facebook. You guys were a splash of cold water, believe me.

Information gatherers, search bots

Googlebot - A guide to the Google webcrawler
Thanks. I read your link; I'm just that stupid, though, that I'm still not sure what they do.
You tried.

Try this, it's more simple in the terms

How does a Web Crawler work? | Wp Themes Planet
Much better. Thanks.

They are busy trying to self actualize. Try not to hurt their feelings.

It's this forum's way of suggesting it is time for you to use your sonic screwdriver.

many-dalek-invasion.jpg

Besides providing site owners feedback on how their sites are faring and helping entrepreneurs determine a value and income for their efforts, some are useful, as in the spiders that save web pages for the 'WayBack Machine' librarian type services, so I don't have a problem with several of them; they are sort of a finger in the dam against the race to turn the innernetz into a toll booth pay for view scam, something nobody wants except Google, ATT, Verizon, and their ilk along with their pets in poliitics, like Ryan and Hillary. who never met a billionaire they wouldn't take 'donations' from to vote their way.

Oh my, I feel itchy all over. Kudos to "Sassy Irish" and "Old Lady".

Forum List

Back