Duke-UCLA: Collegiate Athletics Dreams

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
The Duke Blue Devils men's college basketball team has become a national symbol of collegiate athletics excellence. Headed by legendary 'Coach K,' the Blue Devils have won 5 national championships (the last one in 2015) and numerous regular season ACC titles and many Final Four appearances.

The UCLA Bruins men's college basketball team has also become a national symbol of prominent collegiate athletics. The Bruins have won 11 national championships, the last one in 1995.

Many believe that Duke is the 'new UCLA,' creating exciting and stellar play that instilled vigor into the NCAA tournament since the late 1980s.

I wanted to create a special thread about Duke and UCLA being the two official 'symbolic titans' of NCAA men's basketball.

Since both the Blue Devils and the Bruins symbolize 'collegiate athletics prominence,' I wanted to present a Duke-UCLA standoff discussion.

Let's have Duke represented by Michael Myers, and let's have UCLA represented by Leatherface.

Michael Myers represents pedestrian storytelling, while Leatherface represents sociological conspicuousness.

Enjoy!

====

MYERS: The Blue Devils are hard-working and intelligent.
LEATHERFACE: The Bruins are legendary.
MYERS: Duke greats such as Bobby Hurley and Elton Brand represent athletic focus.
LEATHERFACE: Bruins greats Lou Alcindor and J.R. Henderson represent athletic ambition.
MYERS: The Blue Devils are more representative of 'populism pride.'
LEATHERFACE: The Bruins are more representative of 'sports marketing.'
MYERS: Duke is more cerebral.
LEATHERFACE: UCLA is flashier.
MYERS: The Blue Devils are eerily magical.
LEATHERFACE: The Bruins are oddly spectacular.
MYERS: Duke makes me think of American education.
LEATHERFACE: UCLA makes me think of American confidence.

====

How can we better advertise sports to our youngsters?

duke-ucla1.jpg

monsterB.jpg

Forum List

Back