DUI Laws

I think that after a few DUI's any vehicle that a DUI is driving if forfeit and sold to raise money for victims of DUI drivers.
Unless the vehicle can prove in court to be stolen by the driver.'

Our DUI laws are not working very well.

I think that after a few DUI's any vehicle that a DUI is driving if forfeit and sold to raise money for victims of DUI drivers.

What if the DUI guy was T-boned by a sober guy who ran a red light cause he was texting?

Ever here of the 5th Amendment?

My best friend's son was killed by a drunk driver a few years back. I'm totally against it. Drunk driving has touched many lives for the worse. I pray none of my loved ones will die on the roads because of drunk driving.

There is no justification for drinking alcohol and driving. None. Anyone who does it should go to prison. Anyone who kills someone else because they were drinking should spend the rest of their life in prison. No ifs, ands, or buts. Despite what some dumbasses on this forum think, I don't 'hate' any of you. I do hate the person who killed my fiance. Just that one person. No one else is worth the effort it takes.

Question: Do you see yourself as an authoritarian type personality?

I tried to send this question to you by way of PM, but was unable to do so, since you have apparently elected not to receive PM's from anyone.

Mind your own fucking business.

I disagree, uscitizen. I bet you'd be hard-pressed to find many 20-somethings who have ever done this -- certainly not whilst drunk off their asses. DUI has gone from something once regarded as common and acceptable to something despicable and fairly rare. Still not rare enough, of course, but there has been a huge sea change in American attitudes about this crime during my lifetime.

I do think it is odd we pursue cigarette smoking like the devil and yet we are mostly blasse' about the Clean Air Act if it means we have to pay more for products manufactured without the pollution. I dunno if it will ever be illegal, zzzz. Could happen....but government is pretty addicted to those sin taxes.

I don't understand why we don't tie the right to drive to DUI laws more closely. How come we don't lift the license of anyone who gets caught for a year -- or five?

If STIs become more prevalent, do you think we'll see more attempted homicide laws?

Driving is not a right. It is a privilege.

Driving is a right, under the 9th amendment. If the government took away your license to drive for absolutely no reason would you just say "oh well it was just a privilege"?
Granted driving a vehicle one assumes certain responsibilities and is responsible for their actions. And if a person is deemed too dangerous to operate a vehicle they can have that right taken away.

Sorry. The operation of a motorized vehicle on a public road is indeed a privilege.
That is the facts.
One has the right to operate said vehicle on THEIR property.

Getting back to the tread....
I hqve discussed DWI laws and methods of enforcement with many law enforcement officers.
The common refrain is enforcement is not being done properly.
Most officers complain that they are discouraged by management from going after habitual offenders. Instead DWI enforcement is more or less a public relations tool for police departments.
Too often we see habitual offenders with revoked licenses and having served jail time( too limited IMO) maim and kill innocent people.
While this is going on police are told by their bosses to go after the easiest targets so the police media liaison can call the local news outlets and say "look what we did".
In the mean time a poor schlub who had two glasses of wine with his dinner has to spend thousands of dollars feeding the state coffers while a guy who has been revoked due to DWI and should be spending multiple years in prison, gets bombed and kills a mother and her child.
The whole thing has been tossed on it's head. There is no common sense in typical DWI enforcement.

Forum List

Back