uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
Aug 19, 11:58 PM EDT

DUI charge dropped against Ind. officer in crash

By CHARLES WILSON
Associated Press Writer

DUI Charge Dropped Against Ind. Officer in Crash

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- A prosecutor said Thursday he is dropping drunken driving charges against an Indianapolis police officer accused in a crash that killed a motorcyclist because the officer's blood test wasn't properly obtained.

"We do not believe it's admissible," Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi said at a news conference, flanked by the city's police chief and public safety director.

Officer David Bisard still faces three felony charges stemming from the Aug. 6 crash, including one count of reckless homicide. Brizzi said he was confident Bisard could be prosecuted on those charges without the blood test.

Brizzi said the blood test showing Bisard had a blood-alcohol content more than twice Indiana's legal limit could not be used as evidence because it wasn't taken in a hospital by someone legally certified to do so, which is required by state law. Instead, a lab technician drew Bisard's blood at a clinic where officers generally are taken after they are injured, he said.

TBO.com - News From AP

the cops fucked up. was it on purpose? probably, but the prosecutor had no choice once the blood evidence was compromised.

I usually go with "never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity," but you may have a point on the collusion. One thing is for sure you better bet that new procedures for this will be put in place, as I assume the locals will be in a frenzy over it.

the cops fucked up. was it on purpose? probably, but the prosecutor had no choice once the blood evidence was compromised.

Cops know the system...we had one in my college town who had an accident, ran into the bar right there, allegedly to call for help and ordered SIX shots...and had the bartender note the time as he drank them.

Forum List

Back