DUH!!..69% Say Those Struggling With Mortgage Should Sell, Buy Cheaper Home

When your mortgage price is higher that the current value of the home how do you suggest the they sell the house and buy cheaper? Seems like a real problem to me.

You sell for a loss.... simple as that. Then buy what you CAN afford.

You know you need to bring cash to closing to sell for a loss. How do you propose people bring cash to closing when many are barely getting by? Think about it. Try not to respond with something that sounds like a solution out of some Utopian society you've created in your head.

Good point...so you loose loose for your investment in a home. Sorry, that that's how it works. They gambled on their future...and lost. Nothing utopian about it.

You gamble on the market staying at its level or going up
You gamble on staying healthy long enough to pay back your loan
You gamble on your income being steady.
You gamble when you sign on the dotted line that everything will work out and you, and you come out a winner.

For example you owe 100K the house will bring you 85K. You are now 15K in debt. If you are forced into the position to have to sell to survive and now add 15K to the debt you probably already piled up, how do you suggest these people will get a loan to buy a new home. They are more than likely candidates for bankruptcy.
So that would be next of prior to the forced sale of their home. You make it sound so easy. I hope you don't ever find yourself in such an easy position.

In most if not all states, the bank who loaned you the money is on the hook for the 15K, so that's a false argument. Even if you have to file for bankruptcy, are we lucky to have such provisions in the law to protect borrowers who made bad choices? Bankruptcy is not the end of the world, it's a chance at a fresh start. Lastly, rather than getting a loan to buy a new home, how about renting one? One that you can afford?

Not true the original debtor is on the hook for the difference in many if not most cases. That is why people hang onto their homes.

Again: Not in California, of that I am sure. You'll have to research the laws in your own state. If if you're on the hook, that's what bankruptcy is for. Either way, not my problem.

Why do you think the lender made a bad decision?

Lots of lenders (not all) made monumentally bad decisions lending money on homes and to investors they should not have. Again, not my problem. Let them eat the losses and let those banks that made smart loans take their market share.

In most if not all states, the bank who loaned you the money is on the hook for the 15K, so that's a false argument. Even if you have to file for bankruptcy, are we lucky to have such provisions in the law to protect borrowers who made bad choices? Bankruptcy is not the end of the world, it's a chance at a fresh start. Lastly, rather than getting a loan to buy a new home, how about renting one? One that you can afford?

Wrong, if a home is foreclosed on, then resold for less than the amount owed than the original debtor still owes the difference, same as when a vehicle is repossessed.

Then try buying a home with a foreclosure and a bankruptcy on record. That will really work.

So rent!

When your mortgage price is higher that the current value of the home how do you suggest the they sell the house and buy cheaper? Seems like a real problem to me.

For example you owe 100K the house will bring you 85K. You are now 15K in debt. If you are forced into the position to have to sell to survive and now add 15K to the debt you probably already piled up, how do you suggest these people will get a loan to buy a new home. They are more than likely candidates for bankruptcy.
So that would be next of prior to the forced sale of their home. You make it sound so easy. I hope you don't ever find yourself in such an easy position.

15K in debt and renting is better then 100k in debt,coming out with nothing and still renting.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

While most Americans agree now is not the best time to sell a home, they feel stronger than ever that those struggling to pay their mortgage should sell their home and buy a cheaper one rather than receive help from the government.
69% Say Those Struggling With Mortgage Should Sell, Buy Cheaper Home - Rasmussen Reports™

Almost 70% think logically that DUH.. if you are living in a home you can't afford..
SELL IT!!!!!

It's so simple....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Guwvwp0uSU8]It's in the Computer - YouTube[/ame]

Wrong, if a home is foreclosed on, then resold for less than the amount owed than the original debtor still owes the difference, same as when a vehicle is repossessed.

Not in California, of that I am sure. You'll have to research the laws in your own state. If if you're on the hook, that's what bankruptcy is for. Either way, not my problem.

LOL I love how you act like bankruptcy is the easy way out and no one is harmed by it.

Do you realize that when you declare bankruptcy its an all in type thing? You can't pick and choose which debts to declare. Meaning it ruins lives, and not neccesarily just of those who declare bankruptcy. As an example, my dad had a customer who declared bankruptcy last year, this customer owed dad $1000 at the time. He'd been a good customer for years and had always paid his monthly bill, and he didn't want to screw dad out of any money but because of his home he had to declare bankruptcy. When it was all said and done, dad got nothing because he was too far down the list of debtors. Now I suppose you'll retort with something stupid in extending this guy credit even though he had credit for years before the bankruptcy........

When you make a bad investment choice, you lose money. While it may be unfortunate for the investor, it's not a problem to rent.
If you have three kids and you can't make house payments who do you propose will rent to these people. Where are they going to find the money for the initial rent. People are pretty broke by the time they lose their homes. I am not saying the situation is impossible but it's not as easy as everyone seems to think it is.
You don't just sell a house for thousands less then you owe and come out good. It doesn't work that way.

Sell to who dummy? If you suddenly see thousands of homes go on the market, it then further becomes a buyer's market and the prices slide even further. Meaning the home you owe $100K on that is currently worth $85K will only be worth about $6oK.

Who's going to take a $40K loss on a home? May as well just walk away. Then of course the banks will need further bailing out.

I really don't care who they sell it to idiot, or for how much. I really don't care if they take a loss or loose it totally. It is sad yes, but taking out a mortgage is a gamble that they lost.

And you never did answer on your car question....... :lol:

Not true the original debtor is on the hook for the difference in many if not most cases. That is why people hang onto their homes.

Again: Not in California, of that I am sure. You'll have to research the laws in your own state. If if you're on the hook, that's what bankruptcy is for. Either way, not my problem.

Why do you think the lender made a bad decision?

Lots of lenders (not all) made monumentally bad decisions lending money on homes and to investors they should not have. Again, not my problem. Let them eat the losses and let those banks that made smart loans take their market share.

Please join us in reality where banks have been bailed out, and they will be bailed out again if need be. That genie is not going back in the bottle.

When you make a bad investment choice, you lose money. While it may be unfortunate for the investor, it's not a problem to rent.

What makes you think someone made a bad investment?

Say these people bought a home when both had decent jobs and a job with a very good income was lost and not able to be replaced. Their financial situation changed. Why do people think that someone had to have done something wrong? I know two families to which this happened. One survived as the job was replaced in a few months. The other one has been a nightmare. Both made good investments and could easily afford what they bought. How were they to know their world will change.

Any mortgage is an investment.... bad or otherwise.

Sell to who dummy? If you suddenly see thousands of homes go on the market, it then further becomes a buyer's market and the prices slide even further. Meaning the home you owe $100K on that is currently worth $85K will only be worth about $6oK.

Who's going to take a $40K loss on a home? May as well just walk away. Then of course the banks will need further bailing out.

I really don't care who they sell it to idiot, or for how much. I really don't care if they take a loss or loose it totally. It is sad yes, but taking out a mortgage is a gamble that they lost.

I'm quite sure you've never owned a home, or tried to sell one. That's obvious by your silly belief that if you hang a for sale sign up buyers will magically appear. You do realize that if people were looking to buy, that the market would in fact be up, right?

What makes you think someone made a bad investment?

Good God, really? Okay, here we go, finance 101. When someone buys something for more money that the asset is worth when they go to sell it, they've made a bad investment.

Did we really have to spell that out?

Both made good investments and could easily afford what they bought. How were they to know their world will change

No, they made bad investments. See above. Because things change, the wise investor takes that into account when buying. The stupid investor assumes things will not change and that the value of his investment will only go up. Don't be stupid, but if you are, it's not my responsibility to bail your ass out.

Really, they take these things into account when they buy. They take into consideration that one of the people will lose a six figure job and not be able to replace it. They had savings and other assets as well which are now all depleted and or gone. If you can afford a mortgage and you decide to figure on all contingencies you wouldn't buy at all you'd move your family into a cardboard box under a bridge.
How did anyone know the bottom would fall out of the housing market and thousands would be losing jobs?
You can't think of every contingency when no one really saw it coming until it was on the American public's doorstep. The value of this couples home dropped overnight. Your being silly in this post.

I'm quite sure you've never owned a home, or tried to sell one. That's obvious by your silly belief that if you hang a for sale sign up buyers will magically appear. You do realize that if people were looking to buy, that the market would in fact be up, right?

Just never had to sell one....... ;)

I never said just putting a for sale sing out was going to solve their problems. It is a solution, however. They will lose either way.

If you can afford a mortgage and you decide to figure on all contingencies you wouldn't buy at all you'd move your family into a cardboard box under a bridge.

Yes, because no one could possibly just rent a place to live. It's either own your own home, have me back it up if you run into financial trouble, OR live in a cardboard box under a bridge. Yea, it's me being silly. :cuckoo:

You know you need to bring cash to closing to sell for a loss. How do you propose people bring cash to closing when many are barely getting by? Think about it. Try not to respond with something that sounds like a solution out of some Utopian society you've created in your head.

Good point...so you loose loose for your investment in a home. Sorry, that that's how it works. They gambled on their future...and lost. Nothing utopian about it.

You gamble on the market staying at its level or going up
You gamble on staying healthy long enough to pay back your loan
You gamble on your income being steady.
You gamble when you sign on the dotted line that everything will work out and you, and you come out a winner.

Buying a home was a not a serious gamble if one bought in a good area until the bottom fell out. You didn't have something like this happen to you so you seem rather flippant about your fellow Americans plight.
As long as number one is fine no one else's situation seems to matter. Okay.

It is not that simple.
Many of those people are underwater in their mortgage.
Many of these folks were stupid enough to take out 2nd mortgages to put in a pool, or build a super deck or turn the basement into a very expensive home theater.
They may owe $375k but the value is $280k...where the heck are these people going to get $10,000's to pay the difference? Many of them are only paying interest payments.
Geezus. No wonder this country is screwed.
It's called bankruptcy. You can't pay your debts, you bankrupt. In some states even that isn't necessary. Just send the keys to the lender (jingle mail) and you're done. Most people end up renting as nice houses for less money than they were paying in mortgage payments.
Another example of a wasteful governmental program.

This is as good a post as any to explain the fallout that would occur if everyone underwater tossed their keys.

The people who say those who are underwater should sell their house are cutting their own throats.

The money for those loans came from somewhere. If someone defaults on their loan, that means someone else loses a shitload of money.

That someone is you. The people who are holding the paper on those loans are your retirement fund managers. And they are also holding tranches of CDO-squareds which blow up in the event of defaults. And they are holding tranches of synthetic CDOs which blow up in the event of defaults.

So go ahead. Cut your own throat and push these people into default. Then watch your 401k drop to zero.

Forum List

Back