DUH!!..69% Say Those Struggling With Mortgage Should Sell, Buy Cheaper Home

End the Fed. Close Fannie and Freddie. End the bailouts. End mortgage subsidies. Repeal the CRA. Stop the damn meddling and let the free market work. That's what is best for the economy as a whole.

None of which is going to happen; so let's deal with reality and likelihood.

Also, I would contend that a TRUE free market would not be the best solution for anything.

OF course you do. That's what all Marxists believe.

I'm no Marxist sir, I just recognize that no "pure" system will work.

Hell, communism would work if it included a few free market principles, but then it wouldn't be pure communism would it?

The very wealth didn't over expand the supply of credit.

Wait what? Holy shit man. Buy a book or sumthin.
Who do YOU think over expanded the supply of credit? Poor people? Dentists? Pharmaceutical reps?

The government over expanded, you fucking economic ignoramus.

Do you know a thing about banking or the federal reserve?

I have a passing familiarity with the Federal Reserve.

Does the Federal Reserve control the reserve requirements for non depository institutions that expand credit?

Two of the biggest mistakes people make is buying too much house and too much car.

Living beyond, or even just at the edge, of your means is a surefire formula for misery.

IT's CAPITALISM's fault! It's the The Affluent Society (1958), of ever-greater consumption, ...John Kenneth "Ken" Galbraith FAULT!
It's the advertisers' fault!

Interesting isn't it that we can fault all of the above.. INCLUDING advertisers i.e. MSM advertising right? We can blame advertising for building conspicuous consumption right?

MY question is if advertising is so effective in forming opinions and molding desires to buy a bigger house or car then necessary...
TELL ME AGAIN THAT THE MSM BIAS did NOT influence Presidential voting???

See when Bush bashing occurred while at the same time Obama gushing occurred
the SAME advertisers used the same MSM to mold opinions/buy more houses/cars then necessary as you said... WHY then was this same MSM not complicit?

Two of the biggest mistakes people make is buying too much house and too much car.

Living beyond, or even just at the edge, of your means is a surefire formula for misery.

IT's CAPITALISM's fault! It's the The Affluent Society (1958), of ever-greater consumption, ...John Kenneth "Ken" Galbraith FAULT!
It's the advertisers' fault!

Interesting isn't it that we can fault all of the above.. INCLUDING advertisers i.e. MSM advertising right? We can blame advertising for building conspicuous consumption right?

MY question is if advertising is so effective in forming opinions and molding desires to buy a bigger house or car then necessary...
TELL ME AGAIN THAT THE MSM BIAS did NOT influence Presidential voting???

See when Bush bashing occurred while at the same time Obama gushing occurred
the SAME advertisers used the same MSM to mold opinions/buy more houses/cars then necessary as you said... WHY then was this same MSM not complicit?

Are you referring to the swiftboating of John Kerry?

When your mortgage price is higher that the current value of the home how do you suggest the they sell the house and buy cheaper? Seems like a real problem to me.

When your mortgage price is higher that the current value of the home how do you suggest the they sell the house and buy cheaper? Seems like a real problem to me.

You sell for a loss.... simple as that. Then buy what you CAN afford.

But home values have devalued to the point where if we'd need to sell the house in a timely manner, we'd definitely have to sell the house at the loss of the down payment.

Bad investment on your part. Should have bought less of a home and/or but more on a down payment...or rented. Next time, you'll know better. Either way, it's not my or another taxpayer's problem.

Tell us about the home you own that didn't lose any value in the past few years.

You know you need to bring cash to closing to sell for a loss. How do you propose people bring cash to closing when many are barely getting by? Think about it. Try not to respond with something that sounds like a solution out of some Utopian society you've created in your head.

For example you owe 100K the house will bring you 85K. You are now 15K in debt. If you are forced into the position to have to sell to survive and now add 15K to the debt you probably already piled up, how do you suggest these people will get a loan to buy a new home. They are more than likely candidates for bankruptcy.
So that would be next of prior to the forced sale of their home. You make it sound so easy. I hope you don't ever find yourself in such an easy position.

When you make a bad investment choice, you lose money. While it may be unfortunate for the investor, it's not a problem to rent.

But home values have devalued to the point where if we'd need to sell the house in a timely manner, we'd definitely have to sell the house at the loss of the down payment.

Bad investment on your part. Should have bought less of a home and/or but more on a down payment...or rented. Next time, you'll know better. Either way, it's not my or another taxpayer's problem.

Tell us about the home you own that didn't lose any value in the past few years.

I got out of the real estate market in 2007. I now rent. I used profit I had made to buy a home for my parents to live for as long as they like. I chose a MUCH smaller (less valuable) home than I could have afforded and paid cash. Has it lost value? Probably but I don't care.

Should my conservative decisions and willingness to be flexible with regard to my personal investments be penalized by forcing me to bail out those that made bad decisions? I believe the answer is obvious.

For example you owe 100K the house will bring you 85K. You are now 15K in debt. If you are forced into the position to have to sell to survive and now add 15K to the debt you probably already piled up, how do you suggest these people will get a loan to buy a new home. They are more than likely candidates for bankruptcy.
So that would be next of prior to the forced sale of their home. You make it sound so easy. I hope you don't ever find yourself in such an easy position.

In most if not all states, the bank who loaned you the money is on the hook for the 15K, so that's a false argument. Even if you have to file for bankruptcy, are we lucky to have such provisions in the law to protect borrowers who made bad choices? Bankruptcy is not the end of the world, it's a chance at a fresh start. Lastly, rather than getting a loan to buy a new home, how about renting one? One that you can afford?

Last edited:

Sell to who dummy? If you suddenly see thousands of homes go on the market, it then further becomes a buyer's market and the prices slide even further. Meaning the home you owe $100K on that is currently worth $85K will only be worth about $6oK.

Who's going to take a $40K loss on a home? May as well just walk away. Then of course the banks will need further bailing out.

When you make a bad investment choice, you lose money. While it may be unfortunate for the investor, it's not a problem to rent.

What makes you think someone made a bad investment?

Say these people bought a home when both had decent jobs and a job with a very good income was lost and not able to be replaced. Their financial situation changed. Why do people think that someone had to have done something wrong? I know two families to which this happened. One survived as the job was replaced in a few months. The other one has been a nightmare. Both made good investments and could easily afford what they bought. How were they to know their world will change.

In most if not all states, the bank who loaned you the money is on the hook for the 15K, so that's a false argument. Even if you have to file for bankruptcy, are we lucky to have such provisions in the law to protect borrowers who made bad choices? Bankruptcy is not the end of the world, it's a chance at a fresh start. Lastly, rather than getting a loan to buy a new home, how about renting one? One that you can afford?

Wrong, if a home is foreclosed on, then resold for less than the amount owed than the original debtor still owes the difference, same as when a vehicle is repossessed.

What makes you think someone made a bad investment?

Good God, really? Okay, here we go, finance 101. When someone buys something for more money that the asset is worth when they go to sell it, they've made a bad investment.

Did we really have to spell that out?

Both made good investments and could easily afford what they bought. How were they to know their world will change

No, they made bad investments. See above. Because things change, the wise investor takes that into account when buying. The stupid investor assumes things will not change and that the value of his investment will only go up. Don't be stupid, but if you are, it's not my responsibility to bail your ass out.

Wrong, if a home is foreclosed on, then resold for less than the amount owed than the original debtor still owes the difference, same as when a vehicle is repossessed.

Not in California, of that I am sure. You'll have to research the laws in your own state. If if you're on the hook, that's what bankruptcy is for. Either way, not my problem.

Not true the original debtor is on the hook for the difference in many if not most cases. That is why people hang onto their homes. Why do you think the lender made a bad decision? Why does someone need to be wrong and when the economy turned bad?

Then try buying a home with a foreclosure and a bankruptcy on record. That will really work.

Forum List

Back