Due process trumps feelings

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Quantum Windbag, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Anyone want to guess how many people are going to stop reading before the end of this post and post their outrage about the wrong thing, even with this sentence right here to tell them they are falling into a trap?

Connecticut's Supreme Court erred in overturning a sexual assault case involved a disabled woman - Courant.com

Outrageous, isn't it?

Unfortunately, the outrageous part is the charge that the prosecutors brought actually requires physical helplessness in order to prove rape because the DA charged him under Chapter 932 Section 53a-71, subsection 3.

If anyone wants to actually see how the prosecutor screwed up this is the place to go.

Supreme Court hates disabled people and eats children for lunch. Probably. | a public defender

2. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,974
    The prosecutor did fuck up.

This is an example of a poorly-worded law, a good defense lawyer, and a poorly prepared prosecutor. This is why I'd never want to be a judge - because I'd have to rule the same way as these judges did.

This is the way our legal system works.

3. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Actually, I think is worded just fine. It was intended to make rape of an unconscious person a criminal act. There are other sections of the rape statute that would have made this a slam dunk case all the way up the line.