Dude's need some serious thought

JohnGalt

Nov 19, 2003
ATL, GA
Alright, in my ap chem class there is a kid literally straight outta china. He is a hardcore atheist. He speaks english pretty well, at least well enough to spout off about how there is no god.

I absolutely believe in God (just have a hard time handing over control of things [like my life] to him). There is no doubt of his existance.

But the kid wants proof...

Is there anything I can say other than how my cup of faith can hold more than his bucket of logic? Seriously, I think I am failing god by letting the kid slander the almighty.

He claims that the Bible is just a book and that even he could write a book. I told him that the bible was written over a great period of time by various other writer's through devine influence. Unphased, he went on to use the line, "can you prove god's existance?" (in broken english, of course)
I can't prove god's existance. Can you guys?

Seriously, if you want to prove that God exists, get the Spirit to testify. Easier said then done though.

gaffer said:
Can he prove God doesn't exist.

haha, of course not. But to him, he is already right. I need take the offensive, asking him to prove his inexistance would only cause stalemate

JohnGalt said:
Alright, in my ap chem class there is a kid literally straight outta china. He is a hardcore atheist. He speaks english pretty well, at least well enough to spout off about how there is no god.

I absolutely believe in God (just have a hard time handing over control of things [like my life] to him). There is no doubt of his existance.

But the kid wants proof...

Is there anything I can say other than how my cup of faith can hold more than his bucket of logic? Seriously, I think I am failing god by letting the kid slander the almighty.

He claims that the Bible is just a book and that even he could write a book. I told him that the bible was written over a great period of time by various other writer's through devine influence. Unphased, he went on to use the line, "can you prove god's existance?" (in broken english, of course)

Ask him to disprove God's existance.

It can't be absolutely proven either, which is why it is called "faith"

But yeah ask him to disprove it. He won't be able to.
(Tip: if he mentions the Big/Bang or Evolution, just say "How did those start? How did all the matter in the universe get into the space that small? Why did it all get released? How was it created? How are species made to adapt and evolve? Why don't they stay the same? How did they get that ability?"

All are questions science has attempted to answer, but hasn't. He won't be able to either.

JohnGalt said:

Here's an idea. Let him believe what he wants, as you believe what you want. Neither of you will be able to prove or disprove the existence of god. Talk about chemistry, girls, food, politics, etc. You might wind up with a new friend.

theim said:
Ask him to disprove God's existance.

It can't be absolutely proven either, which is why it is called "faith"

But yeah ask him to disprove it. He won't be able to.
(Tip: if he mentions the Big/Bang or Evolution, just say "How did those start? How did all the matter in the universe get into the space that small? Why did it all get released? How was it created? How are species made to adapt and evolve? Why don't they stay the same? How did they get that ability?"

All are questions science has attempted to answer, but hasn't. He won't be able to either.

The inability to answer those questions isn't proof of the existence of god. The inability to disprove the existence of god isn't proof either. Gods were created by man to explain things that were unexplainable by their current level of knowledge and technology. For example, the sun god who drove his fiery chariot across the sky to give us daylight. We are getting close to the point where the only unexplained question is "what happens when we die?".

MissileMan said:
We are getting close to the point where the only unexplained question is "what happens when we die?".

Except that pesky origin of life stuff. That and what exactly is 'life'? What is the spark that animates us into beings? Also, there is the whole "what's beyond our galaxy" question to name a very few.

The list of what we have no clue about is an unfathomable amount longer than what we think we know. Science (as a whole) is a moving target because we lack the perspective of the big picture. We are ants. Earth is our anthill. We are smart sometimes about subjects confined within our anthill but we have not ventured yet over hill and dale.

I would take him up on the challenge to write a Bible lol

Ha think that’s tough try writing a Mahabharata. It is one of the Hindu holy books. The complete text is some 8 times longer than the Bible. If you’re going to base your faith on the difficulty of writing that faiths holy book, become a Hindu.

Forum List

Back