Dsl

Jackass

Aug 29, 2003
Va
Anybody have any experience with DSL and 2 computers? I am trying to setup a router for my brother to use his pc with the DSL connection. For some reason when he set it up he couldnt get it working. Now I a trying to trace what he did and fix it. Any suggestions or things to look for? Thanks

Jackass said:
Anybody have any experience with DSL and 2 computers? I am trying to setup a router for my brother to use his pc with the DSL connection. For some reason when he set it up he couldnt get it working. Now I a trying to trace what he did and fix it. Any suggestions or things to look for? Thanks

My son did mine, it's 'wireless' DSL. Very cool and fast.

After a little troubleshooting..seems like it is the router itself. I removed and reinstalled and when I tried to hook the pc up to the router..I cant get on the inernet. Anyone?

Its a Linksys router with 4 ports..trying to connect to Verizon DSL. If I just removed the router all would work ok. XP said the router was working fine.

first thing, make sure you're connecting the DSL modem to the WAN port, otherwise you're never going to get online. The computers/switches/hubs connect to the other 3 ports on the router. Theres been some issues with linksys routers in the past so use THIS website for other help. If you can't get it working by that time, PM me and we'll get together on the phone.

Jackass said:
Its a Linksys router with 4 ports..trying to connect to Verizon DSL. If I just removed the router all would work ok. XP said the router was working fine.

Login to the router and make sure it's setup for DHCP. Actually, go through all the settings (I've had quite a few come out of the box and have some strange factory settings). There should also be an option in there to reset the router (if not, unplug for 2 minutes and plug it back in again).

And most importantly, listen to what DK said! If he plugged the cat5 cable coming from the modem into a regular lan port, you will never get a connection. Make sure it's plugged into the port labeled WAN - then make sure the router is getting assigned an IP address from the modem.

Forum List

Back