DSL vs Cable

Which do you prefer, and why?
Well, here in NJ Verizon controls the phone lines and they will not sell a dry DSL line. They require you have a landline phone through them in order to get DSL, making the cost about $70. Optimum sells faster cable internet for $24.95, it's a no brainer.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
Neither. Cut the cable altogether. Just get internet service, TV antenna, Netflix....and cell phone. Save money.

Neither. Cut the cable altogether. Just get internet service, TV antenna, Netflix....and cell phone. Save money.

I'd love to have a TV antenna again.. what's reasonable and works well? ...

Fiber / glass is fastest. DSL is dependent on load and distance and requires land line. We use it in a vac home. FIOS at home, which is super fast, especially uploads and downloads. Cable is coaxial and also very fast. Comcast is cable company in Philly. Depends on area and service providers. Cost matters too. I know people in Philly who switch all the time for the latest deal. lol One friend still uses an antenna for TV service. Smart phone can then serve as Internet access point for other uses.

I prefer neither.

I got an amplified antenna from Best Buy Inc and it works just great for OTA (broadcast) stations. This gives me about 20 stations including ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS. BBC, World News, Justice Network. Escape Network, old movies, old tv shows, etc.

Depends on where you live and a lot of other factors. If you are close to TV station transmitters (say within 20 miles), get a simple indoor antenna that is relatively inexpensive and try it in multiple locations in your home. If long distance from transmitters than you need to do some research, but everything I have read indicates you will need a larger more traditional outdoor antenna.

Several websites can give you coordinates of TV transmitters in your area, after you input your address.

I prefer Cable. I do not like DSL, but have had to use it in the past. Soon, I am going to have to find out my options, and make a decision.
I don't want or need a landline. I only use cell phones in my house.

I hate hate hate Directv, but may be my only choice. I hope not. ugh. With 4 TV's in the house, I am not sure I want to go the antenna route. Granted I am not sure what exactly that is. Someone would have to explain it to me. There are certain channel (such as ID..and Sports...bunch of others) I watch..

Go to the below website and plug in your address and it will give you all the stations you can receive, how strong the signal is and the direction the signal is coming from.

In my area I can get both NY and Philadelphia stations so I use 2 antennas connected to a HDHomeRun box with two antenna inputs, and I get over 30 channels with each antenna. Some of the channels overlap, but non-prime time programs are usually different even on the same CBS, ABC, NBC FOX channels.

TV Fool

I prefer cable but I'm old school. If it ain't broke, why fix it, especially land line. A lot of areas don't have immediate address access if you call 911 from a cellphone and if you're incapacitated, a land line still indicates where you are. I don't want to take that chance for my dad who is 91.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
Which do you prefer, and why?

DSL? :eek:

Kat, it no longer is 1995.

Digital Subscriber Lines are history.

Ethernet over copper and "cable" are the two viable technologies. EOC can run over twisted pair CAT3 used in telco like DSL did, but can reach speeds of 54 mbs versus the 1.5 mbps of true DSL. (Some will mistakenly call EOC DSL, but it isn't.)

Digital cable typically runs over a fiber network and isn't cable at all. This is capable of gigabit speeds, 20 times what EOC can do.

Technology wise, EOC and cable use almost the same thing, differing on the medium they traverse, both are Ethernet based.

Forum List

Back