Drying clothes with ultrasound, dryers that are 70 percent more energy-efficient than they are now

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Drying clothes with ultrasound, dryers that are 70 percent more energy-efficient than they are now

We've already seen how ultrasound can be used to wash clothes. Now, scientists from the US Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory – working with colleagues from GE Appliances – are looking at how it can be used to dry them. They've already developed technology that they say could make clothes dryers 70 percent more energy-efficient than they are now, while also taking half the amount of time to get the job done.
According to the Department of Energy, clothes dryers are currently responsible for 1 percent of America's total energy consumption. That's hardly surprising, considering that they're required to tumble heavy wet clothes while blowing hot air on them.
By contrast, the new system utilizes piezoelectric transducers wired to an amplifier, that rapidly expand and contract when voltage is applied. This causes them to vibrate at a high frequency, atomizing moisture from fabric as they do so. That moisture comes out in the form of a cool mist, as opposed to a blast of hot humid air.
In lab tests, the transducers were able to dry a wet piece of cloth in 14 seconds – using heat in an oven, on the other hand, took several minutes. It is estimated that it would take less than 20 minutes to dry a whole load of laundry using the new technology. As an added bonus, the system should also be quieter than conventional dryers, and produce less lint.

Amazing what science is able to do....Less energy and more efficiency.

Uncle Ferd n' possum...

... workin' onna microwave oven...

... dat'll cook an' dry clothes...

... in his workshop out back.

The coils went out in the ol' dryer twice now and I haven't spent anymore 100 dollars to fix them, so I just use temperate air to dry the clothes, it works..

The coils went out in the ol' dryer twice now and I haven't spent anymore 100 dollars to fix them, so I just use temperate air to dry the clothes, it works..
The old clothes line works too. Then, the Sun's ultra violet rays do extra disinfecting. That's quite energy efficient...

The old clothes line works too. Then, the Sun's ultra violet rays do extra disinfecting. That's quite energy efficient...
I just hang them in da house and use a box fan to dry....

Matt doesn't know what a clothesline is. If he ever saw a clothes-pin, he'd hang it off his nut sack........he's that stupid, folks.

Microwaves like ultra waves are pretty close to the same function of work unit.. They both send out waves which accelerate molecules which causes friction which causes heat...Do I really have to go back and put in punctuation?

Except when it is raining or your clothes are frozen stiff as a board. I have a clothesline but it is strictly a windy or sunny day tool. In the wintertime here unless it is real windy your clothes won't get dry over the course of the day and then will freeze.

Except when it is raining or your clothes are frozen stiff as a board. I have a clothesline but it is strictly a windy or sunny day tool. In the wintertime here unless it is real windy your clothes won't get dry over the course of the day and then will freeze.

All year long? Where the hell do you live, the South Pole?

I suggested he fart more where he lives, but no response was given..

" In the wintertime" probably means something different where you live than here on planet earth.

Forum List

Back