Drunken Wife of Congressman Busted at Disney World

Discussion in 'Congress' started by longknife, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Lysistrata

Lysistrata Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,194
    Nope. The cops arrived immediately. I stayed outside until they arrived and retrieved them.

2. Lysistrata

Lysistrata Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,194
    I should also explain that this took place in a state that stringently applies the "danger to self or others" standard to obtain involuntary commitment of a mentally ill adult. I consulted with an attorney specializing in mental-health law before this occurred and was told that the only way to get around this was to have this individual brought up on a criminal charge, which we managed to do on a charge of domestic abuse (in-your-face verbal) against another elderly relative, which I witnessed, and bingo! we had the violation I wanted. We had to go to court and the judge told me that judges hate having to deal with this sort of thing, but we agreed that this is the sad state of our system.

Decades and meds later, the patient, who has a very high IQ and a photographic memory, now understands why what was done had to be done, and, in actuality, it was to save his life and the emotional life of the poor village cop who would have had to shoot him if he pointed a gun. He will never be normal but he is now so much better and is functioning in at least a somewhat acceptable level, considering that he was an agoraphobe, and he now attends a mental health center four days a week and participates in their social events. He actually is quite a nice guy underneath and has turned out to be very empathetic.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  3. HenryBHough

HenryBHough Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,243
    If drunkenness is a "mental health" issue then a drunk driver who crashes an assault SUV into a crowd and kills 30 people, 10 of them infants, can escape punishment with a "diminished mental capacity" plea.

4. Tijn Von Ingersleben

Tijn Von Ingersleben Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,175
    She looks like a microcephalic.

5. Tijn Von Ingersleben

Tijn Von Ingersleben Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,175
    An interesting angle. I wonder if there is case law?