Drunk Drivers Get Special License Plates

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
I like it.

My only question is if the police can stop any vehicle with this plate to "check the driver," what will happen if the officer sees something illegal in the car? Will some judge throw it out as an illegal search?

-----

A Florida state senator wants to require convicted drunken drivers to have license plates that start with "DUI."

The proposed law would also require bright pink license plates on vehicles driven by people with restricted driving privileges due to convictions for driving under the influence.

"Maybe it will embarrass people and keep them from drinking and driving," State Sen. Mike Fasano said. "Maybe they'll think twice."

The bill also says police "may stop any vehicle that bears a DUI plate without probable cause to check the driver."

Ohio and Michigan have similar laws in place. Other states have debated the issue, but failed to pass it due to privacy reasons.

"Pink plates would hold out individuals for punishment as well as ridicule. We are very opposed to it," said Larry Spalding, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union in Florida.

About 840,000 of Florida's 15 million licensed drivers have an active DUI sanction on their driving records, said Frank Penela, Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles spokesman. A small percentage of those have limited driving privileges, such as permission to drive only to and from work, Penela said.

"It could take two years to get the support, but I think it's worth the effort," Fasano said. "If I can't get a House sponsor, then maybe I can get it passed in the Senate and attached to a larger transportation bill."

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/16/D8DTMPT81.html

I’m thinking I’m not comfortable with this. I’m not sure why, I’ll give it some thought.
The first thing that comes to mind is anyone driving the car will be suspect whether they were the guilty party to start with or not.

What I wouldn’t have a problem with at all is “DUI” on the drivers’ license.

Interesting question. I believe that parolees (and some on probation) can always be searched, and any instrument in their control (i.e., the car they are driving) can be searched. If the convicted drunk driver is not on parole or on probation, then I would assume the usual probable cause, search incident to arrest, etc., rules would apply, since the police now have the legal right to stop the person in the first place. Just my opinion, though.

I would have less of a problem with this if the system was grandfathered in. I never like retroactively restricting people who have already served their appointed "time," be it jail time or otherwise

At what point do we determine that someone has paid the penalty for their crime and let them live their lives without further branding. Why not just make them wear a scarlet "DUI" around their necks for the rest of their lives?

gop_jeff said:
At what point do we determine that someone has paid the penalty for their crime and let them live their lives without further branding. Why not just make them wear a scarlet "DUI" around their necks for the rest of their lives?

If they wear a turtleneck, nobody would see it.

Mr. P said:
I’m thinking I’m not comfortable with this. I’m not sure why, I’ll give it some thought.
The first thing that comes to mind is anyone driving the car will be suspect whether they were the guilty party to start with or not.

What I wouldn’t have a problem with at all is “DUI” on the drivers’ license.

I'm not too comfortable with it myself. Does this mean I have to get a plate that says: Perpetually Pissed? It won't fit.

GunnyL said:
I'm not too comfortable with it myself. Does this mean I have to get a plate that says: Perpetually Pissed? It won't fit.
Nahhhh...they should be color coded..and every woman should have one that's PINK. And every 28 days should have to display such tag so we all know; Not to get in front of her, not to get behind her and by NO means speak to her!

***Leaving Now*** :dev3:

Mr. P said:
Nahhhh...they should be color coded..and every woman should have one that's PINK. And every 28 days should have to display such tag so we all know; Not to get in front of her, not to get behind her and by NO means speak to her!

***Leaving Now*** :dev3:

Yeah, you're in trouble. :laugh:

Forum List

Back