Drug Shortages ---Our Free Market At Work

How can you say that after saying you do not really know what is going on?

Many years of navigating the waters of Corporate America have given me a decent foundation to decode the language. I could be wrong, of course. But even if I were, the OP is still off his rocker.

Regardless of my medical background and needs, what you're trying to push off as capitalism and a free market, is wrong. We don't have those things and have not for a long time. You're describing the symptoms of corporatism, or "crony capitalism" (which is do not favor in terminology as it is misleading).

Just correcting your error. And as for the appeal to emotion, that is what you're doing if can not provide a logical argument with facts, but instead insist to appeal to the emotions of your audience.

I am holding up a mirror to the Tea Baggers and other right-wing extremists and showing them what a totally free, unregulated market looks like, in case that went over your head.

So wait... the FDA regulating every aspect of the pharmaceutical industry and government granted monopolies on drugs in the form of patents is a "totally free, unregulated market?"

I'm sure glad we still have a semblance of laissez faire capitalism in our country! Aren't you? I certainly don't blame Big Pharma for cutting back on those pesty, old drugs that are just totally unprofitable and moving their production overseas since their patents expired. Those generic meds that just take up so much space in their manufacturing and distribution centers...Methotrexate and Doxil being the latest examples of two totally unprofitable drugs.

I was just appalled when the FDA had to step in a force the importation of Methotrexate for all these silly kids in this country who have leukemia and were looking at no treatments for the next couple of months due to the shortage. I mean, hey....This idea of government getting involved in our health care is just baloney! I say let the kids die, dammit. That's how the free market works! What part of this scenario do these damn libbies don't understand?

You don't think the fact that the FDA controls access to various ingredients and the cost companies can actually charge for generic drugs has anything to do with drug shortages?

But hey, feel free to blame the non existent free market for causing all the problems, it gives you an excuse to feel good when the government steps in to make things worse.

I'm sure glad we still have a semblance of laissez faire capitalism in our country! Aren't you? I certainly don't blame Big Pharma for cutting back on those pesty, old drugs that are just totally unprofitable and moving their production overseas since their patents expired. ?

Mr. Fucktard, Sir:

The US stabbed Capitalism in its heart circa 1913.

Since then , we have been "enjoying " fascism.

From the what is worth department:

Sandoz initiates voluntary recall in the US of all 50mg/2mL and 250mg/10mL vials of Methotrexate Injection, USP due to the presence of glass particulates

Also HERE

SO, STFU

We don't capitalism or a free market.

Sure we do. Big Pharma is a great example. They can focus their R&D on new, expensive drugs that will have a 2000% mark up when they hit the pharmacy shelves.

I just think it's terrible that the FDA has to get it's nose in the business of making sure all these silly kids with cancer get their chemo treatments. I mean, WTF, right?

Of course it is lost on you that the only reason those drugs exist is because of the R&D programs.

You libs want that, but you are not willing to pay for it.

They make a drug that help you understand that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Maybe you should check into it.....they are little round pills and can be found anywhere there are rabbits.

We don't capitalism or a free market.

Sure we do. Big Pharma is a great example. They can focus their R&D on new, expensive drugs that will have a 2000% mark up when they hit the pharmacy shelves.

I just think it's terrible that the FDA has to get it's nose in the business of making sure all these silly kids with cancer get their chemo treatments. I mean, WTF, right?

Of course it is lost on you that the only reason those drugs exist is because of the R&D programs.

You libs want that, but you are not willing to pay for it.

They make a drug that help you understand that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Maybe you should check into it.....they are little round pills and can be found anywhere there are rabbits.

Actually, the majority of fundamental breakthrough R&D is usually taxpayer/government-funded. Big Pharm spends most of it's R&D on tweaking to extend patent life.

I'm sure glad we still have a semblance of laissez faire capitalism in our country! Aren't you? I certainly don't blame Big Pharma for cutting back on those pesty, old drugs that are just totally unprofitable and moving their production overseas since their patents expired. Those generic meds that just take up so much space in their manufacturing and distribution centers...Methotrexate and Doxil being the latest examples of two totally unprofitable drugs.

I was just appalled when the FDA had to step in a force the importation of Methotrexate for all these silly kids in this country who have leukemia and were looking at no treatments for the next couple of months due to the shortage. I mean, hey....This idea of government getting involved in our health care is just baloney! I say let the kids die, dammit. That's how the free market works! What part of this scenario do these damn libbies don't understand?

What you say is not quite accurate; in fact, it is laughably, glaringly, preposterously wrong! The Federal Government did not have to force anyone to import anything.

In an article published on February 21, 2012, Jennifer Corbett of DOW Jones Newswire wrote that the Federal Government had allowed temporary importation of Doxil, and approved a new supplier of Methotrexate. They did so not because American manufacturers refused to supply the drugs, but because a major supplier had manufacturing problems. Here is a portion of the article:

“Supplies of both drugs started running low after Ben Venue Laboratories, a division of Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH, shut down a manufacturing plant in Ohio in November to address manufacturing problems with some products. Ben Venue makes Doxil for Johnson & Johnson and was among the larger suppliers of a preservative-free version of methotrexate, which doctors say is the primary treatment for children with acute lymphocytic leukemia, a type of blood cancer.”

The entire article can be read at the following link:

FDA Allows Temporary Importation Of Doxil Alternative; Approves New Methotrexate Supplier - www.capital.gr

The article explains that the new supplier of Methotrexate is APP. This pharmaceutical company has its corporate office in Raleigh, North Carolina and its manufacturing plants are located in Melrose Park, Illinois; Grand Island, New York; and Raleigh, North Carolina. Thus, the drug will be manufactured right here in the USA just as it has been all along. You can learn more about APP at the following link:

APP Pharmaceuticals - Fact Sheets

You make the same damn mistake that many liberals make when they attempt to criticize the free market. The problem with the shortage of drugs in this case was not caused by the free market, but rather by the governments restriction on the free market. If you read the article I supplied, you will find that the The FDA had to approve a new supplier. That's the problem; manufacturers cannot produce unless the government gives them permission. By limiting the number of suppliers, temporary shortages can be expected when there are production problems at even a single plant. The solution is simple: less government restrictions, more free markets!

Your assertion that the greed of American drug manufacturers is causing children to die is one of the most asinine things I have ever heard. I really would like to know where in the hell you got your information. Link?

Here's a conservative utopia! Complete with totally free markets! No gubmit regulations here..my boy!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi_wZMYY_PM]Irtokte Gun market in Mogadishu, Somalia - YouTube[/ame]

Regardless of my medical background and needs, what you're trying to push off as capitalism and a free market, is wrong. We don't have those things and have not for a long time. You're describing the symptoms of corporatism, or "crony capitalism" (which is do not favor in terminology as it is misleading).

Just correcting your error. And as for the appeal to emotion, that is what you're doing if can not provide a logical argument with facts, but instead insist to appeal to the emotions of your audience.

I am holding up a mirror to the Tea Baggers and other right-wing extremists and showing them what a totally free, unregulated market looks like, in case that went over your head.

What seems to be going completely over your head is that we don't have a free market and this is not an example of free markets. While I do not know the specifics of the example in the pharma world you bring up, rest assured it is not capitalism or free markets. You're mingling economic systems and appealing to emotion.

Logical fallacies by the car load here.
Anyway, enjoy the circle you're running in.

You are just trying to spin it as you see fit. The purpose of a business is to make a profit...period. I've been told that over and over and over again from conservatives. If a product is no longer profitable, it gets pulled off the shelves and a more profitable product takes it's place. Perhaps some other company buys the product and manufactures it, perhaps not.

Need for that product does not matter, there is no emotion involved, no sense of patriotism, no sense of ethical behavior. It's only about the profit. This is what Supply side economics is all about.

I think you just broke my sarcasm meter, Otan.

Forum List

Back