Drug Shortages ---Our Free Market At Work

OtaniKitano

Feb 25, 2012
Princeton, New Jersey
I'm sure glad we still have a semblance of laissez faire capitalism in our country! Aren't you? I certainly don't blame Big Pharma for cutting back on those pesty, old drugs that are just totally unprofitable and moving their production overseas since their patents expired. Those generic meds that just take up so much space in their manufacturing and distribution centers...Methotrexate and Doxil being the latest examples of two totally unprofitable drugs.

I was just appalled when the FDA had to step in a force the importation of Methotrexate for all these silly kids in this country who have leukemia and were looking at no treatments for the next couple of months due to the shortage. I mean, hey....This idea of government getting involved in our health care is just baloney! I say let the kids die, dammit. That's how the free market works! What part of this scenario do these damn libbies don't understand?

We don't capitalism or a free market.

Sure we do. Big Pharma is a great example. They can focus their R&D on new, expensive drugs that will have a 2000% mark up when they hit the pharmacy shelves.

I just think it's terrible that the FDA has to get it's nose in the business of making sure all these silly kids with cancer get their chemo treatments. I mean, WTF, right?

No, we don't. What you're talking about is corporatism. We do not have a free market. We have a corporate/govt. controlled market and in so, it is not free.

Also, what a disastrous appeal to emotion.

LOL! I suspect you have no health issues right now that are being affected by drug shortages.
That's how most people operate. If they can't see it from their backyard they don't give a flying phock.

Doxil and Methotrexate are just 2 of the drugs in short supply now. Go to the FDA website and check their list of current drug shortages. It's about 20 pages long.

Regardless of my medical background and needs, what you're trying to push off as capitalism and a free market, is wrong. We don't have those things and have not for a long time. You're describing the symptoms of corporatism, or "crony capitalism" (which is do not favor in terminology as it is misleading).

Just correcting your error. And as for the appeal to emotion, that is what you're doing if can not provide a logical argument with facts, but instead insist to appeal to the emotions of your audience.

No, we don't. What you're talking about is corporatism. We do not have a free market. We have a corporate/govt. controlled market and in so, it is not free.

We have a mixed market. The industries with the most lobbyists inside the Beltway have the most freedom.

But my point is, of course, that we cannot have total deregulation of these industries because corporations will do what they are designed to do: create a profit without regard to their consumer. In this case not only a disregard for their consumer, but a detriment resulting in death.

I wonder how Ron Paul would spin this one....

Regardless of my medical background and needs, what you're trying to push off as capitalism and a free market, is wrong. We don't have those things and have not for a long time. You're describing the symptoms of corporatism, or "crony capitalism" (which is do not favor in terminology as it is misleading).

Just correcting your error. And as for the appeal to emotion, that is what you're doing if can not provide a logical argument with facts, but instead insist to appeal to the emotions of your audience.

I am holding up a mirror to the Tea Baggers and other right-wing extremists and showing them what a totally free, unregulated market looks like, in case that went over your head.

The industries with the most lobbyists inside the Beltway have the most freedom.

They don't have the "most freedom". They buy concessions from legislators to get things they want in the regulatory/subsidy fields in order to curb competition and monopolize the market. The officials will do as the corporations that pay the most (and usually have guys in the political field to help with this) money.

It is a corporate/government collusion and in so, the corporation run their sector through the legislative body. That, is corporatism, it is not "mix", or laissez faire capitalism.

I am holding up a mirror to the Tea Baggers and other right-wing extremists and showing them what a totally free, unregulated market looks like, in case that went over your head.

Well, you just lost all credibility with me, the offensive term Teabagger is enough to make whatever point you're TRYING to make irrelevant.

How about we just call you a cocksucking $2 whore?

I'm sure glad we still have a semblance of laissez faire capitalism in our country! Aren't you? I certainly don't blame Big Pharma for cutting back on those pesty, old drugs that are just totally unprofitable and moving their production overseas since their patents expired. Those generic meds that just take up so much space in their manufacturing and distribution centers...Methotrexate and Doxil being the latest examples of two totally unprofitable drugs.

I was just appalled when the FDA had to step in a force the importation of Methotrexate for all these silly kids in this country who have leukemia and were looking at no treatments for the next couple of months due to the shortage. I mean, hey....This idea of government getting involved in our health care is just baloney! I say let the kids die, dammit. That's how the free market works! What part of this scenario do these damn libbies don't understand?

But we don't need no stinkin govt regulation of corporations!

Well, you just lost all credibility with me, the offensive term Teabagger is enough to make whatever point you're TRYING to make irrelevant.

*sniff*

should we call you a waaaaaaaaaambulance?

Hmm by your logic that post of yours just lost you all credibility as well.
Have a nice day. :)

What seems to be going completely over your head is that we don't have a free market and this is not an example of free markets. While I do not know the specifics of the example in the pharma world you bring up, rest assured it is not capitalism or free markets. You're mingling economic systems and appealing to emotion.

Logical fallacies by the car load here.
Anyway, enjoy the circle you're running in.

We don't capitalism or a free market.

Sure we do. Big Pharma is a great example. They can focus their R&D on new, expensive drugs that will have a 2000% mark up when they hit the pharmacy shelves.

I just think it's terrible that the FDA has to get it's nose in the business of making sure all these silly kids with cancer get their chemo treatments. I mean, WTF, right?

And they spend more money on advertising than on R&D.

Much of the R&D that drug companies use is paid for by taxpayers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/health/policy/supply-of-methotrexate-a-cancer-drug-may-run-out-soon.html?_r=1

One of several US producers of methotrexate suspended production, for what reason exactly is unknown, but they are citing "manufacturing and quality concerns." Sounds to me like something went horribly wrong at the factory and they are trying to keep it quiet.

Meanwhile, other US producers are trying to increase production, and the FDA is trying to mitigate the lost supply via importation. I don't really see what the issue is here. Yes, this is a very troubling occurrence, and I sincerely hope that in the end all the sick children are able to receive the medication they need. But this is not the OMGEVILSTUFFS that you're trying to make it out to be.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/health/policy/supply-of-methotrexate-a-cancer-drug-may-run-out-soon.html?_r=1

One of several US producers of methotrexate suspended production, for what reason exactly is unknown, but they are citing "manufacturing and quality concerns." Sounds to me like something went horribly wrong at the factory and they are trying to keep it quiet.

Meanwhile, other US producers are trying to increase production, and the FDA is trying to mitigate the lost supply via importation. I don't really see what the issue is here. Yes, this is a very troubling occurrence, and I sincerely hope that in the end all the sick children are able to receive the medication they need. But this is not the OMGEVILSTUFFS that you're trying to make it out to be.

How can you say that after saying you do not really know what is going on?
I wonder if we had quality issues with imported drug ingredients again?

Forum List

Back