Drug holds promise to halt debilitating condition of diabetes

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008

A drug developed at the University of Kansas has the potential to stop a debilitating condition of diabetes that often leads to pain in the extremities and even amputations, KU researchers have found.

The researchers recently published an article showing that KU-32 can stop and even reverse diabetic peripheral neuropathy, or DPN, in mice. The condition leads to death of nerves in the extremities of individuals with diabetes.

"People with DPN can be very sensitive to light touch, which can cause significant pain," said Rick Dobrowsky, professor of pharmacology and toxicology and one of the paper's authors. "The other side is eventually diabetes causes death of the nerves. DPN often leads to loss of feeling in the hands and feet, which can make diabetics susceptible to wounds and infections and often leads to amputations of toes and feet."
DPN is the second leading cause of amputations, after injuries.

I cannot even begin to say how much great news this is.

A drug developed at the University of Kansas has the potential to stop a debilitating condition of diabetes that often leads to pain in the extremities and even amputations, KU researchers have found.

The researchers recently published an article showing that KU-32 can stop and even reverse diabetic peripheral neuropathy, or DPN, in mice. The condition leads to death of nerves in the extremities of individuals with diabetes.

"People with DPN can be very sensitive to light touch, which can cause significant pain," said Rick Dobrowsky, professor of pharmacology and toxicology and one of the paper's authors. "The other side is eventually diabetes causes death of the nerves. DPN often leads to loss of feeling in the hands and feet, which can make diabetics susceptible to wounds and infections and often leads to amputations of toes and feet."

There's already an excellent cure for this in type 2 diabetes. It's called diet and exercise.

This is what you call a publicity attraction. Tons of "promising drugs" make it to animal testing. This isn't even in phase I of human testing. Now creating a drug that helps with diabetes is certainly a good thing, especially for all the type 1 people out there. But it can't cure the other morbidities associated with obesity.

There's already an excellent cure for this in type 2 diabetes. It's called diet and exercise.

This is what you call a publicity attraction. Tons of "promising drugs" make it to animal testing. This isn't even in phase I of human testing. Now creating a drug that helps with diabetes is certainly a good thing, especially for all the type 1 people out there. But it can't cure the other morbidities associated with obesity.

Well I'm glad you aren't a doctor. My son developed type II diabetes a few years ago. The first symptoms he had was a strange tingling in his hand and his feet. He was not and is not overweight. certainly not obese. If this drug might reverse the damage done by neuropathy, that is nothing but good news.

Well I'm glad you aren't a doctor. My son developed type II diabetes a few years ago. The first symptoms he had was a strange tingling in his hand and his feet. He was not and is not overweight. certainly not obese. If this drug might reverse the damage done by neuropathy, that is nothing but good news.
not to mention how good it would be for type I diabetes patients

which, btw, has NOTHING to do with Obesity

Don't be too glad. Over half of all type 2 diabetes is correlated to obesity. The majority of everyone else is correlated to poor diet, smoking, alcohol consumption, and generally leading an unhealthy life. There is only a minority who acquire it where their lifestyle has nothing to do with it. So..... does your son smoke? Drink?

As I said, reversing neuropathy is good news, but don't hang your hat on animal testing. They've had several cures for AIDS based on animal testing.

Now creating a drug that helps with diabetes is certainly a good thing, especially for all the type 1 people out there. But it can't cure the other morbidities associated with obesity.
not to mention how good it would be for type I diabetes patients

which, btw, has NOTHING to do with Obesity

note the excerpt of my quote I just pointed out above. Note how it says the EXACT same thing.

Final piece of diabetes puzzle solved...

Final piece of type 1 diabetes puzzle solved
Sun, 24 Apr 2016 - A complete picture of what the immune system attacks to cause type 1 diabetes is revealed by scientists.
The study, published in the journal Diabetes, discovered the fifth and final critical target at which the immune system errantly takes aim. The team at the University of Lincoln say the findings could help develop new ways to prevent and treat the disease. Diabetes UK said the findings were "impressive". In type 1 diabetes, the immune system destroys the beta cells that make insulin - the hormone needed to keep blood sugar levels under control. Studies looking at the unique antibodies made by patients with type 1 showed there were five key targets that the immune system attacked. But working out exactly what they were has been like identifying someone from their silhouette. Studies long ago discovered some of the targets, but the final one has proved elusive for two decades. Dr Michael Christie, who led the research at the University of Lincoln, told the BBC: "With this new discovery, we have now finished identifying what the immune system is targeting - we have the complete picture."

_89399463_c0244494-treating_diabetes,_woman-spl.jpg

Woman having insulin injection​

The targets are:

Insulin
Glutamate decarboxylase
IA-2
Zinc transporter-8
And the final piece of the puzzle, tetraspanin-7

The more technically named ones are largely involved in secreting or storing the hormone insulin. Knowledge of some of these targets is already being used in a trial at King's College London that is aiming to stall the progression of type 1. But Dr Christie says having the complete picture could help transform care for type 1 patients. He said: "Once the immune system decides it wants to get rid of something it's very hard to stop, so diabetes has proved to be a difficult disease to prevent. "So we're hoping that, by having identified the major targets in the disease, we can find ways to prevent it by blocking the immune response to these five proteins without leaving that person vulnerable to infections. "With recent improvements in our understanding of the disease I'm very hopeful we'll develop a treatment now; I have a lot more confidence than even five years ago."

Diabetes

Forum List

Back