Drudge Report Fooled By Fake Story About Bloomberg Being Denied Pizza

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago

The Drudge Report was fooled by a fake story about Mayor Bloomberg being denied pizza on Friday morning.

The website picked up a piece by the Daily Currant which said that Bloomberg "was denied a second slice of pizza" at a Brooklyn restaurant in retaliation for his soda ban. The Daily Currant, however, is a satirical website.

The Drudge Report splashed a photo of Bloomberg eating a slice of pizza with the headline "No Pizza For You!" before taking it down moments later.

The site isn't the first to be fooled by "The Daily Currant." The Currant's fake report about Paul Krugman going bankrupt was picked up by Breitbart. Its version of events had the Nobel Prize-winning econominst racking up bills on his American Express black card at Tiffany's, and buying rare Portuguese wines and 19th century English cloth.

I put this in politics because I think it's an example of a bigger problem. Studies have show that people will gravitate toward information sources that confirm their beliefs or preconceived notions about an issue.

This is extremely dangerous to us as a society-- especially when an unstable fringe element (readers of Drudge or Breitbart) go to a completely unreliable source for what seems like a daily dose of hate and fear-mongering. Drudge and Co. have built a business up around the notion that sick and angry people need to be reassured all their rage is not impotent, and that they're not alone.

The fact that Alex Jones and Limbaugh have a following, a loyal audience, tells us that sick people want to feel part of a group--thus making them feel more "normal".

What goes on at the fringes of our American political spectrum is not normal at all.

Look at what happened when CNN got the facts wrong about the bombing suspect being captured. They were raked over the coals. But these popular fringe websites have not ethics or accountability.

Fox got it wrong too like CNN did

MSNBC refused to go with the story because it was flimsy.

lies have become the norm for some media.

They seem to think you are allowed your own made up facts

The Drudge Report was fooled by a fake story about Mayor Bloomberg being denied pizza on Friday morning.

The website picked up a piece by the Daily Currant which said that Bloomberg "was denied a second slice of pizza" at a Brooklyn restaurant in retaliation for his soda ban. The Daily Currant, however, is a satirical website.

The Drudge Report splashed a photo of Bloomberg eating a slice of pizza with the headline "No Pizza For You!" before taking it down moments later.

The site isn't the first to be fooled by "The Daily Currant." The Currant's fake report about Paul Krugman going bankrupt was picked up by Breitbart. Its version of events had the Nobel Prize-winning econominst racking up bills on his American Express black card at Tiffany's, and buying rare Portuguese wines and 19th century English cloth.

I put this in politics because I think it's an example of a bigger problem. Studies have show that people will gravitate toward information sources that confirm their beliefs or preconceived notions about an issue.

This is extremely dangerous to us as a society-- especially when an unstable fringe element (readers of Drudge or Breitbart) go to a completely unreliable source for what seems like a daily dose of hate and fear-mongering. Drudge and Co. have built a business up around the notion that sick and angry people need to be reassured all their rage is not impotent, and that they're not alone.

The fact that Alex Jones and Limbaugh have a following, a loyal audience, tells us that sick people want to feel part of a group--thus making them feel more "normal".

What goes on at the fringes of our American political spectrum is not normal at all.

Look at what happened when CNN got the facts wrong about the bombing suspect being captured. They were raked over the coals. But these popular fringe websites have not ethics or accountability.

how come you did not mention the Lefties who follow the same type of people on their side?......not able too?......head start hurting?.....or are you one of them and believe what they say?.....

& that is most RW'ers homepage tab :rofl: Their hate knows no bounds :(

is it really?.....one of your buddies here say its the World Daily News.......so who is right?....

ummm.....I have 5 tabs set to open-up when I start my browser. A rw'er could have 5 as well and invariably Drudge will be one of them, not the ONLY one, but one of them.

I have had 192 tabs open in my FireFox browser at one time. It never occurred to me to make Drudge Report a staple of my newsday in any one of them.

Shut your stupid face.

^ model rw'er
emotjerkbag.gif
I was contemplating pos-repping you around 90 seconds ago simply because you're new and made a funny post near the top of the OP. Not mulling it over anymore ;)

"since March" eh? "assimilated" is EXACTLY what you are, to the USMB eXtreme rw bunch :rofl:

You also think I forgot about your meltdown just the other day :eusa_eh: :eusa_hand:

Last edited:
"since March" eh? "assimilated" is EXACTLY what you are, to the USMB eXtreme rw bunch :rofl:

You also think I forgot about your meltdown just the other day :eusa_eh: :eusa_hand:

Uh.. what meltdown is that? I hardly ever self destruct like you liberals routinely do.

Seems like you're not unlike Chernobyl, DC, you're in a perpetual state of meltdown. Day in and day out. Such as you are and with such a hot head, you'd melt right through your chair. It's why you can't refrain from ad hominem attacks on other posters, when you lack an argument or a coherent point to make.

:cuckoo:

Tocqueville: Book 1 Chapter 11

In America there is scarcely a hamlet that has not its newspaper. It may readily be imagined that neither discipline nor unity of action can be established among so many combatants, and each one consequently fights under his own standard. All the political journals of the United States are, indeed, arrayed on the side of the administration or against it; but they attack and defend it in a thousand different ways. They cannot form those great currents of opinion which sweep away the strongest dikes. This division of the influence of the press produces other consequences scarcely less remarkable. The facility with which newspapers can be established produces a multitude of them; but as the competition prevents any considerable profit, persons of much capacity are rarely led to engage in these undertakings. Such is the number of the public prints that even if they were a source of wealth, writers of ability could not be found to direct them all. The journalists of the United States are generally in a very humble position, with a scanty education and a vulgar turn of mind. The will of the majority is the most general of laws, and it establishes certain habits to which everyone must then conform; the aggregate of these common habits is what is called the class spirit (esprit de corps) of each profession; thus there is the class spirit of the bar, of the court, etc. The class spirit of the French journalists consists in a violent but frequently an eloquent and lofty manner of discussing the great interests of the state, and the exceptions to this mode of writing are only occasional. The characteristics of the American journalist consist in an open and coarse appeal to the passions of his readers; he abandons principles to assail the characters of individuals, to track them into private life and disclose all their weaknesses and vices.

Still so true today.

Let's get back to the topic folks (hint: it's not meltdowns or assimilation) :)

Every news group gets caught every now and again.

No biggie.

This article got me at first, and I commented on it, but since I had not heard of that site before, I did some double checking it and had to pull my post.

The fact he pulled the story speaks more of his standards than the fact that he got fooled.

& that is most RW'ers homepage tab :rofl: Their hate knows no bounds :(

is it really?.....one of your buddies here say its the World Daily News.......so who is right?....

ummm.....I have 5 tabs set to open-up when I start my browser. A rw'er could have 5 as well and invariably Drudge will be one of them, not the ONLY one, but one of them.
Drudge reports on story and provides a link.....like many here do.....at least he does what Dean says no righties do.....so give me a left wing answer to the "Drudge Report".....so i can compare.....

Forum List

Back