Drowning in Adverts

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I do truly realize that many formerly sound businesses (e.g., newspapers) would be out of business if it were not for the new and creative ways they have devised to SELL ADVERTISING.

I presume that even this august website survives largely because the proprietor has been able to sell advertising on these colorful pages.

But Jesus, when do we reach the saturation point? I'm figuratively ready to vomit advertising copy. Every time I click a mouse button it seems I have to wait for my computer to load the page with another small mountain of words, pictures, and even videos trying to get me to buy something. And half the time they are trying to get me to buy something THAT I JUST BOUGHT YESTERDAY. There is no surer punishment than to be punished for buying something on the Internet, then being barraged by that very same company every time you open a new page for the next month, trying to sell you MORE OF IT!

Worst are these links that entice you to see, "...Nine famous celebrities with peckers growing out of their ears!" So you click on it, and you have to scroll through ten or twelve different "pages" all with their own mountain of ads and videos just to see those peckers!

As perverse as it is to say, TV is not as bad. At least there is a governing body for television someplace that limits the total advertising to (it seems like) only 56 minutes of ever hour, so you can see a bit of programming on occasion.

So we have satellite radio, Pandora, and some other sources where we can actually PAY somebody not to have to listen to advertising, and that's getting expensive as hell. And when you listen to talk radio on your satellite radio you get advertising anyway(!), even though you are paying NOT TO HAVE ADVERTISING.

I don't like it.

Forum List

Back