Driverless cars are coming.

Never will I ever trust my life to a driverless vehicle
Driverless cars fully automated are for gullible leftist bobbleheads who do what their masters tell them what to do, despite the obvious flaws.

The flaws will be worked out. Human drivers cause 30k to 40k deaths a year. Human drivers cost billions of dollars. Human drivers are the number one cause of death in this country. So the system you cling to is not working and has not worked. I, nor any of the experts I have read, have claimed the driverless cars will be perfect. But your attitude is the equivalent of staying in a sewer because you don't want to step in mud puddles.
And when the driverless car system fails as it eventually will we'll have 30000 deaths in a day
He has no clue about technology and how it works and does not work.

When we can totally automate air traffic control and have all planes be pilot-less I might consider driverless cars safe, maybe.

There is a huge difference. If something fails in a driverless car, the car can pull over when the backup system takes over. Plus, the guidance system will only deal with 2 dimensions. A failure in the systems in an aircraft results in very different things. It cannot pull over. It cannot just stop. And having to deal with more directions means more complexity.

But modern missile systems are basically aircraft without a pilot (except the exploding part). For example, the cruise missile is launched by computer. It flies, follows the terrain, and goes to a specific spot all by computer control.

Driverless cars fully automated are for gullible leftist bobbleheads who do what their masters tell them what to do, despite the obvious flaws.

The flaws will be worked out. Human drivers cause 30k to 40k deaths a year. Human drivers cost billions of dollars. Human drivers are the number one cause of death in this country. So the system you cling to is not working and has not worked. I, nor any of the experts I have read, have claimed the driverless cars will be perfect. But your attitude is the equivalent of staying in a sewer because you don't want to step in mud puddles.
And when the driverless car system fails as it eventually will we'll have 30000 deaths in a day

When we can totally automate air traffic control and have all planes be pilot-less I might consider driverless cars safe, maybe.

There is a huge difference. If something fails in a driverless car, the car can pull over when the backup system takes over. Plus, the guidance system will only deal with 2 dimensions. A failure in the systems in an aircraft results in very different things. It cannot pull over. It cannot just stop. And having to deal with more directions means more complexity.

But modern missile systems are basically aircraft without a pilot (except the exploding part). For example, the cruise missile is launched by computer. It flies, follows the terrain, and goes to a specific spot all by computer control.
Computers never crash, lockup or do things unexpectedly.

30,000 deaths in a day? Wow, that is some kind of crowded area to plow through.
If a nation wide self driving control crashed how many accidents do you think there would be in the first 10 minutes?
Now consider that there are over 250 million cars on the road in the US and then tell me that 30000 is a ridiculous number.

We can't even keep computers and systems from crashing at airports and you think we can flawlessly operate a nationwide sensor array that can simultaneously control and track 250 million cars.

Tell me how would you like a fully automated air traffic control system?

I have not seen any suggestion of a central control system for driverless cars. I have seen discussions of central data systems, like a GPS system with additional information concerning traffic and weather. The cars are largely autonomous.

But if, as you say, there is a central control for 250 million cars, it would be a simple thing to program each driverless car's responses to a lack of communication with the central control. On smaller roads, simply pull over, park, and turn on the flashers. On the interstates, take the next exit and park.

It would have to be centrally controlled unless of course you want each state to come up with their own system then trust that the hand offs between states will be seamless.

And every single car stopping at the same time won't be a problem at all right? Let's hope you're the one in an ambulance when the system crashes (and it will crash) not me.

And tell me how every single car on the freeway during rush hour is going to be able to pull over into the breakdown lane.

So if each car is autonomous what happens when the computers on individual cars crash (and they will crash)?

Every single car stopping won't be a problem. No moving cars means no crashes. And they will all stop receiving the signal from the central system at the exact same time. But I still do not think they will all be controlled by a central system.

During rush hour no one is travelling at a high speed.

Autonomous cars will have backup systems in the event of a computer crash. Much like nuclear reactors do. They are all computerized.

Having failsafes in place will insure the cars respond in a predictable manner if the onboard computer fails.

Yeah failsafes you mean like the ones we have now for other systems that still crash?

Cruise missiles do not carry people so it doesn't matter if the system fails and the thing crashes and blows up

Good analogy.

OP still has failed to sell a single Tesla here.

As long as I live this miracle network highway system will not exist. I will continue to drive myself.
Still don't see a driverless vehicle that will tow my boat, or snowmobile trailer, or a work trailer. One has to assume recreational vehicles of all types are banned in this fantasy utopia destroying a large segment of the economy.
Like my guns, you will have to pry my cold dead hands off the wheel of my gas hog SUV.

Forum List

Back