Driver Buddies

Iridescence

Rookie
Apr 1, 2011
US
It seems it would be common sense :dunno: but why is it not law for OTR truck drivers have a driving buddy? Madatory rest hours and limited active duty hours are not adequately reducing heavy truck accidents and it seems a buddy would save companies, even the smaller ones.... Our truckers need to know they are more valuable than the materials they haul, IMO.

Last edited:
So a farmer driving his semi of grain to the elevator would have to have someone else in the truck? Many trucks are only driving in a local region and are back home at night, what is the reason to put another person in the truck?

I am not sure that it would reduce accidents. Most shippers today are going to GPS and electronic logs that do not allow the forgeries of written logs of the past. Accidents are going to happen and far more occur because someone is texting or talking on the phone than a trucker falling asleep at the wheel

• Banned
I was specifically referring to Over The Road truck drivers. That means drivers who are not local and not coming home nightly.

Why is it not law? Because it would double labor costs and reduce profits.

It would also increase demand for long haul drivers and thereby raise the pay scale for them.
In short, Profit!

Last edited:
  • Banned
I did bookkeeping... Many companies underpay their drivers and limit their diets, even. Profit? Hmmmm... Greed, indeed, is within many forms and many levels.

27069_1_230.jpg

• Banned
Why is it not law? Because it would double labor costs and reduce profits.

It would also increase demand for long haul drivers and thereby raise the pay scale for them.
In short, Profit!

What it would potentionally do is shorten delivery time and increase the deliveries made within a week's time... If, that is, the one doing the booking knows what s/he is doing and has established connections. A driving buddy also offers a great solution for long term haulers who insistently and persistently neglect their logs, roadside checks, and such. That speaks volumes to companies that suffer through unexpected audits....

Forum List

Back