Drinking over limit 'raises cancer risk'

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
Drinking over recommended limit 'raises cancer risk'

Drinking more than a pint of beer a day can substantially increase the risk of some cancers, research suggests.

The Europe-wide study of 363,988 people reported in the British Medical Journal found one in 10 of all cancers in men and one in 33 in women were caused by past or current alcohol intake.

More than 18% of alcohol-related cancers in men and about 4% in women were linked to excessive drinking.

The Department of Health said it was taking action to reduce drinking.

Cancer charities say people should limit their drinking to lower the risk.

The study calculated that in 2008 current and past drinking habits were responsible for about 13,000 cancer cases in the UK, out of a total of 304,000 cases.

Previous research has shown a link between alcohol consumption and cancers of the oesophagus, liver, bowel and female breast.

When alcohol is broken down by the body it produces a chemical which can damage DNA, increasing the chance of developing cancer.

BBC News - Drinking over recommended limit 'raises cancer risk'

Drink blamed for oral cancer rise

Alcohol is largely to blame for an "alarming" rise in the rate of oral cancers among men and women in their forties, say experts.

Numbers of cancers of the lip, mouth, tongue and throat in this age group have risen by 26% in the past decade.

Alcohol consumption has doubled since the 1950s and is the most likely culprit alongside smoking, says Cancer Research UK.

Each year in the UK around 1,800 people die from the disease.

There are 5,000 newly diagnosed cases per year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8193639.stm

Last edited:

So does living past 50 years of age.

And FWIW, living past 50 increases your risk of cancer far more than drinking does, too.

Clearly the best solution is drinking yourself into the grave before you get cancer from old age, yes?

I am practically a tea-totler nowadays.

I don't drink alone and so many of my former drinking buddies had to stop (weak-sister bastards that they are) so why bother?

Plus, I can't smoke while drinking in bars anymore, so my barfly days are pretty much over, too.

And FWIW, living past 50 increases your risk of cancer far more than drinking does, too.

Clearly the best solution is drinking yourself into the grave before you get cancer from old age, yes?

Well sure...everything will kill ya....eventually :lol:

Hell...casual sex,candles,hot tea,chewing gum,coffee,deoderant,chinese food,peanuts,olive oil,not breast feeding as a baby etc etc...can put you at risk for cancer too. Might as well just shoot ourselves in the head I guess...:lol::lol:

Hell...casual sex,candles,hot tea,chewing gum,coffee,deoderant,chinese food,peanuts,olive oil,not breast feeding as a baby etc etc...can put you at risk for cancer too. Might as well just shoot ourselves in the head I guess...:lol::lol:

Well fatally shooting oneself in the head will cure or prevent death by cancer.

It's also a wonderful aid to those of us, like myself for example, who were foolish enough to become addicted to nicotine (and smoking, which is an addictive behavior) when we were kids.

sure--wreck my fun early this weekend. Bitch ! :evil:

It's what I live for. :tongue:

Want some coffee??

Want some coffee??

can we do that if we're not in the coffee shop ?

Want some coffee??

can we do that if we're not in the coffee shop ?

I don't think they got this kinda coffee there...although I could be wrong. :eusa_angel:

just for you

img49ec762586496.jpg

Forum List

Back