Drilling Moratorium Extended for 7 Years

Obama just handed Sarah Palin the keys to the oval office with this move. This will give her ammo to smoke his ass in the debates on these jobs he is destroying. This will devastate the state of Louisiana and other coastal states with a vested interest in oil and gas production. Thank god my rigs are on land and not offshore rigs. I dodged a bullet with this ruling. Stay tuned for Palins response for this and in the media. I'm sure it will be a doozie!!!

Well it doesn't suprise me one bit. I do hope she takes your advice too.

But fact of the matter is, no jobs are being lost as this is an extention of a ban that was put in place during the Bush Administration. This will not effect the oil industry in La.

But by extending the ban there will be no new jobs created and it will not lessen our dependence on foriegn oil either.

Then, of course, there's the truth:

The ban was put in place in 2006 by Bush and the Republican Congress, specifically over concerns that something like the BP spill would occur. The BP spill occurred, so, as anyone with common sense would conclude,

it's appropriate for the ban to remain in place.

Obama just handed Sarah Palin the keys to the oval office with this move. This will give her ammo to smoke his ass in the debates on these jobs he is destroying. This will devastate the state of Louisiana and other coastal states with a vested interest in oil and gas production. Thank god my rigs are on land and not offshore rigs. I dodged a bullet with this ruling. Stay tuned for Palins response for this and in the media. I'm sure it will be a doozie!!!

Nice rep power there, grandpa.

How will this devastate Louisiana exactly? Since it was already in effect since 2006, and it's in the eastern Gulf...

How will this devastate Louisiana exactly? Since it was already in effect since 2006, and it's in the eastern Gulf...
Once wells are completed those jobs are over with. There will be no new wells to start drilling on. Therefore the jobs are lost.

This is sure to be a huge saver or creator of Jobs in the Gulf:

The White House has confirmed that it is extending the moratorium on new drilling in the eastern Gulf for SEVEN YEARS.

The White House won't allow any new oil drilling in the eastern Gulf of Mexico for at least the next seven years because of the BP oil spill.

A senior administration official told The Associated Press on Wednesday that drilling leases won't be considered in the waters off Florida as part of the change. He spoke on condition of anonymity because the decision hadn't been announced yet.

He said that because of the BP spill, the administration now understands the need to elevate safety and environmental standards. Before the spill, the administration had considered a plan to allow drilling in the eastern Gulf...

Official: Florida Coast Drilling Ban To Be Extended : NPR

But what kind of common sense can we expect from a government that forces a four year old boy who to remove his leg braces at airport security.

TSA apologizes for forcing 4-year-old to remove leg braces at airport screening -

An Obamanoid Motto: never use a scalpel when a chain saw is available.

To bad we can't drill on land.... Then we wouldn't have to worry about accidents like BP. Not to mention all of the jobs it would create. Maybe in 2012 when we get a Republican President and more Conservatives in Congress we can actually do some good things for the economy.

Once wells are completed those jobs are over with. There will be no new wells to start drilling on. Therefore the jobs are lost.

Ok, then tell us when all available drilling sites will be depleted, save this area, in the Gulf.

And back it up with a link.

Meanwhile the Gulf is open to all other countries that choose to drill there..... Way to Obama! :clap2:
Why does Obama hate American oil workers?

This is sure to be a huge saver or creator of Jobs in the Gulf:

The White House has confirmed that it is extending the moratorium on new drilling in the eastern Gulf for SEVEN YEARS.

The White House won't allow any new oil drilling in the eastern Gulf of Mexico for at least the next seven years because of the BP oil spill.

A senior administration official told The Associated Press on Wednesday that drilling leases won't be considered in the waters off Florida as part of the change. He spoke on condition of anonymity because the decision hadn't been announced yet.

He said that because of the BP spill, the administration now understands the need to elevate safety and environmental standards. Before the spill, the administration had considered a plan to allow drilling in the eastern Gulf...

Official: Florida Coast Drilling Ban To Be Extended : NPR

But what kind of common sense can we expect from a government that forces a four year old boy who to remove his leg braces at airport security.

TSA apologizes for forcing 4-year-old to remove leg braces at airport screening -

An Obamanoid Motto: never use a scalpel when a chain saw is available.

To bad we can't drill on land.... Then we wouldn't have to worry about accidents like BP. Not to mention all of the jobs it would create. Maybe in 2012 when we get a Republican President and more Conservatives in Congress we can actually do some good things for the economy.

Too bad people fall for lies, probably because they want to believe them. We can drill on land and we are. There is a definite uptick in exploration at home and abroad.

"He said that because of the BP spill, the administration now understands the need to elevate safety and environmental standards. Before the spill, the administration had considered a plan to allow drilling in the eastern Gulf..."

There's some real screwy logic here IMO.

The administration recently lifted the drilling ban on existing gulf wells. And I presume they did so without elevating safety and environmental standards. Because if they had elevated them there would be no reason to ban new wells, just tell them to abide by the new standards. Which leads me to assume existing wells are operating under the same "old" standards. Which then begs the question of why they're good enough for the older wells but not new ones?

I think Barry is in dire need of a Logic Czar.

Well I must say you presumed wrong.

Gulf drilling ban lifted ? with caveat - U.S. news - Environment - msnbc.com

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration on Tuesday lifted the moratorium on deepwater exploratory oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico — provided companies follow new safety rules.

"Operators who play by the rules and clear the higher bar can be allowed to resume" drilling, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said at a news conference.

One of those new rules is that the CEO of a company responsible for a well must certify it has complied with all regulations. That could make the person at the top of the company liable for any future accidents.

Thanks. Maybe I did. Or maybe not.

The original post mentioned elevated safety and environmental standards, but what you posted from MSNBC only mentions "new safety rules." If MSNBC got it right, why wouldn't the administration require existing wells to adhere to the same environmental requirements as new wells?

Still sounds screwy to me.

There are safety concerns here folks.

Some jobs are NOT worth the lives of workers.

Lets remember 11 people died that day.

No one has forgotten them. Industrial accidents happen, unfortunately, but the best answer is to make the jobs safer, not eliminate them. Construction is one of the most dangerous jobs in the US, but we still build houses and buildings. Thousands of people have died in plane crashes, but millions still fly every day. Would you have those industries shut down as well?

It doesn't honor the dead to destroy the jobs of their coworkers.

Just sayin'.

There are safety concerns here folks.

Some jobs are NOT worth the lives of workers.

Lets remember 11 people died that day.

No one has forgotten them. Industrial accidents happen, unfortunately, but the best answer is to make the jobs safer, not eliminate them. Construction is one of the most dangerous jobs in the US, but we still build houses and buildings. Thousands of people have died in plane crashes, but millions still fly every day. Would you have those industries shut down as well?

It doesn't honor the dead to destroy the jobs of their coworkers.

Just sayin'.

Here is the list of all jobs that extending the current ban on drilling in the eastern Gulf Of Mexico will destroy.

Opps now where did that list go??????

So, looks like people who were content, indeed quite happy, to see GM go under and take thousands of jobs with it are suddenly worried about some drilling jobs.

Funny.

Then, of course, there's the truth:

The ban was put in place in 2006 by Bush and the Republican Congress, specifically over concerns that something like the BP spill would occur. The BP spill occurred, so, as anyone with common sense would conclude,

it's appropriate for the ban to remain in place.
Why do large spills occur?

Forum List

Back