Drill to prepare home front for major quake

We had a small earthquake here in Montreal Quebec last night. 4.5 on the richter

Wow, the Israelis are incredibly intelligent and foresighted!

I don't know how likely a major quake is in Israel -- but we here on the West Coast of the US are about 85 years overdue for our once-every-235-years, 8-to-9+ Richter mega-quake, and I'd guess that at least 50% of people here don't even know about it, never mind have any preparations set for it.

I'm SO impressed that Israel is doing this!

-- Paravani

I don't know how likely a major quake is in Israel -- but we here on the West Coast of the US are about 85 years overdue for our once-every-235-years, 8-to-9+ Richter mega-quake, and I'd guess that at least 50% of people here don't even know about it, never mind have any preparations set for it.

-- Paravani

tomorrow. 10:00 AM, thursday. drill in WAWA.

shake, rattle and roll. be there or be square.

practicce, practice, practice.

think i will just do the same thing i did last time a a big one hit right underneath me in the nisqually.

i was in bed because i worked the night shift...so i am going to lay in bed for a couple of minutes and pretend the crack slowly creeping across the ceiling is in a race with my bed shaking across the floor. then i am going to jump up out of bed and yell...

"whoa shit. this is a big one...AND IT AIN'T STOPPIN".

then i will fall down a a couple of times before i get out side and it will all be over and no worries...well except for a wall of water heading south up the nisqually river from a tsunami...or a wall of water heading north down the nisqually river if alder dam breaks...but i am cool. i have a neat canoe so i'm good.

right-----catastrophe drills can be organized in a kind of non specific way. In fact----we are doing them in the USA too. Not particularly with the general population involved-------for now it is the police and firemen and medical personnel----etc People can also volunteer for training to take some role in being a "first responder"

Oh hi Seal, it's me MJB. How are you holding up on your disposable diapers?

-- Paravani

tomorrow. 10:00 AM, thursday. drill in WAWA.

shake, rattle and roll. be there or be square.

practicce, practice, practice.

think i will just do the same thing i did last time a a big one hit right underneath me in the nisqually.

i was in bed because i worked the night shift...so i am going to lay in bed for a couple of minutes and pretend the crack slowly creeping across the ceiling is in a race with my bed shaking across the floor. then i am going to jump up out of bed and yell...

"whoa shit. this is a big one...AND IT AIN'T STOPPIN".

then i will fall down a a couple of times before i get out side and it will all be over and no worries...well except for a wall of water heading south up the nisqually river from a tsunami...or a wall of water heading north down the nisqually river if alder dam breaks...but i am cool. i have a neat canoe so i'm good.

right-----catastrophe drills can be organized in a kind of non specific way. In fact----we are doing them in the USA too. Not particularly with the general population involved-------for now it is the police and firemen and medical personnel----etc People can also volunteer for training to take some role in being a "first responder"

God protect us all from volunteer first responders

Dillo, you think we can afford to PAY people to be trained and wait... for decades... for a disaster?

:confused:

I have news for you: if there's a massive quake in your city, you'd better hope that there are plenty of trained volunteers... because the chance of a PAID first responder actually getting to you are just about... well, zero. :eek:

In my town there are fewer than 40 ambulances, and they expect upwards of 5,000 casualties if the "Big One" hits. So who do you think is going to triage all those victims and give them first aid?

Quitcherbitchin and find out where your local first responder class is... and then take it. That way you'll know exactly who YOUR "volunteer first responder" will be, and if they're poorly trained you'll have no one to blame but yourself.

:cool:

-- Paravani

Last edited:
I got even more bad news----ALL OF THE FIRST RESPONDERS ARE VOLUNTEERS unless they happen to be ON DUTY as cops and medical personnel and fireman etc AT THE TIME of the disaster. There is no law that a doctor resting at home MUST RESPOND-----he has to be a VOLUNTEER

I got even more bad news----ALL OF THE FIRST RESPONDERS ARE VOLUNTEERS unless they happen to be ON DUTY as cops and medical personnel and fireman etc AT THE TIME of the disaster. There is no law that a doctor resting at home MUST RESPOND-----he has to be a VOLUNTEER

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but around here if there's a disaster, or even a threat of one (like a tornado) all current on-duty personnel have to stay at the hospital and all off-duty personnel are called in until the threat or disaster is over.

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but around here if there's a disaster, or even a threat of one (like a tornado) all current on-duty personnel have to stay at the hospital and all off-duty personnel are called in until the threat or disaster is over.

"personnel"??? well---in the case of doctors---they are generally not EMPLOYED by hospitals-----they simply have business agreements with them-----it is called "admitting priveleges"------so they cannot be "called in"-----the ones who do show up at disasters are volunteers ---------and then there are "translators"-----people who can speak various languages who have signed up to be there----and all kinds of varieties of persons-----who JOIN up programs to be first responders In hosptals the people "called in" are generally the housestaff-----the young docs in training Hospitals are not the only issue-----there is stuff that must be done out in the field-------the good news is that government programs have been set up -----it is all very organized ------specific locations have been designated for things like dispensing medications---food----water ----etc etc

Doctors under contract with hospitals are often "on call."

yes----like once or twice per week-------The programs that exist now------attract VOLUNTEERS who can be called to locations OUTSIDE OF HOSPITALS for on-site work-------at pre arranged sites that would address disasters. Hospitals could never come close to being able to be such centers in case of a disaster that involves a large population----nor are hospitals the logical place to dispense water and the various medications to combat BIOLOGICAL WARFARE stuff or medications to deal with radiation exposure just calling every doc on the hospital roster------to come back------would be a disaster in itself There are programs a lot more organized than that that. All sorts of skills OF VOLUNTEERS can be utilized by these programs ----training is available------they need even TRANSLATORS ----not just professionals

Dillo, you think we can afford to PAY people to be trained and wait... for decades... for a disaster?

:confused:

I have news for you: if there's a massive quake in your city, you'd better hope that there are plenty of trained volunteers... because the chance of a PAID first responder actually getting to you are just about... well, zero. :eek:

In my town there are fewer than 40 ambulances, and they expect upwards of 5,000 casualties if the "Big One" hits. So who do you think is going to triage all those victims and give them first aid?

Quitcherbitchin and find out where your local first responder class is... and then take it. That way you'll know exactly who YOUR "volunteer first responder" will be, and if they're poorly trained you'll have no one to blame but yourself.

:cool:

-- Paravani

I worked for the American Red Cross----dealt with thousands of people who wanted to be first responders. You know what happens--they GET IN THE WAY. The first thing volunteers are told is that they will NOT be first responders and are to get the hell out of the way of the paid and trained professionals.

grandma------you did not train your people well-------things are a lot better now-------and HOSPITALS will not be the only centers of care and MEDICAL CARE is not the only care needed in disasters-------gee------triage classes are being conducted by people a lot smarter than are you. I am glad that you mentioned TRIAGE -----on site TRIAGE ------is very important-----that is how smart people GET THE INJURED TO THE APPROPRIATE PROFESSIONAL MEDIC

people have to have roles that they KNOW HOW TO HANDLE---------by BEING TRAINED TO THEM-----you have a very low opinion of your fellow man-----hospitals could not function without STRONG ORDERLIES

Forum List

Back